Fishing Report

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
Well, the river has dropped from flood stage to lesser flood stage so I decided to dust off the sage 99, build a new leader, and hit the local. The salmon fly and caddis fly hatch was in full swing, though like years past, the hot fly for flood stage was a purple snow cone chrinomod. Maybe its the tailwater, maybe its the purple holo flash body showing up in the tinted and deep waters... but the old stand by pats got some attention as well.

Loaded up my bag with the days supplies (cookies, w**d, water, fishing tackle) and rolled out of my driveway on the mountain bike headed for the water. Sure, its a PITA to set up and break down the rod for riding between spots, but the simplicity of it really turns my gears. The ability to reach less fished spots pays off, though the wet wading was a bit cold on my ankles. Ended up with a handful of fish to the net and a few LDRs and a nice days workout.

Now, @korkers and @SIMMS please, i beg of you, lets work together to design a wet wading (felt) boot that accepts bicycle pedal cleats, as this is the one piece of kit that I cant find a solution for. Anyone have tips in that regard I would love to hear about it. Floating season is almost here and I am looking forward to doing some solo bike shuttles this summer and spending long days floating from rock to gravel bar. Hope you are all doing well.

Stayed tuned for much more "rad" fishing by bike adventures this summer! Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg

ghetme

Loaded up my bag with the days supplies (cookies, w**d, water, fishing tackle) and rolled out of my driveway on the mountain bike headed for the water. Sure, its a PITA to set up and break down the rod for riding between spots, but the simplicity of it really turns my gears. The ability to reach less fished spots pays off, though the wet wading was a bit cold on my ankles. Ended up with a handful of fish to the net and a few LDRs and a nice days workout.

Now, @korkers and @SIMMS please, i beg of you, lets work together to design a wet wading (felt) boot that accepts bicycle pedal cleats, as this is the one piece of kit that I cant find a solution for. Anyone have tips in that regard I would love to hear about it. Floating season is almost here and I am looking forward to doing some solo bike shuttles this summer and spending long days floating from rock to gravel bar. Hope you are all doing well.
Very cool man. BTW, wood is a a common supply for fires no need to censor it for the Crab creek youngins.

Concur on the pedals, I am curious how the folks with e-bike shuttles deal with this.

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
Very cool man. BTW, wood is a a common supply for fires no need to censor it for the Crab creek youngins.

Concur on the pedals, I am curious how the folks with e-bike shuttles deal with this.
well, i dont think many e bikes riders are using clipless pedals. honestly an ebike would be pretty easy to pedal with wet wading boots. i need a shoe i can ride in all day and fish a little in the same shoe. mainly for this summer/falls planned bikepacking trips. sure, i could carry a set of simms wading shoes or something, but thats at least an extra lb of weight on an already heavy load.

Zak

WFF Supporter
I've been thinking about getting an e-bike so I can go fishing when my wife has the Toyota. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of any rigs people have come up with to mount a rod case on a bike. I'm thinking of a rigid plastic cylinder open at the top and wide enough to drop my reel-on rod case into, hose-clamped on the frame?

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
I've been thinking about getting an e-bike so I can go fishing when my wife has the Toyota. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of any rigs people have come up with to mount a rod case on a bike. I'm thinking of a rigid plastic cylinder open at the top and wide enough to drop my reel-on rod case into, hose-clamped on the frame?

2 common methods ive seen. one, strapped to the frames downtube with the extra poking out in front on the handlebars (runs along the head tube). the downside is you might rub your legs on it. option 2, shorter (8'6) 4pc or pack rod attached to a handlebar bag. my sage 99 is really long so i carry it in a backpack, but ill use my 8'6 4pc 4wt when bikepacking up on the handlebar. ive also seen then hanging off the back of a bike on a rear rack, or mounted to the fork vertically.

Reactions: Zak

Rogue Fanatic

hhhmmmm. Could you Shoe-Goo felt to the bottom on old pair of SPDs? If you want cool looking ones, there are these from Northwave but they're spendy- 1590780806415.png

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts