Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

This site.

5K views 104 replies 46 participants last post by  GOTY 
#1 ·
I have been on this Fly Fishing site for a long time I first came on in 1998 or 1999. Back in those days all that was talked about was fishing the fly. It was enjoyable. I got to talk to people about fly fishing. You could even tell where you fished and how good of day you had. But lately it has gone to hell.

I think that it is now a tell all site where just about anything goes down. They even sneak in Politicking every once in a while. I wish it would go back to the way it was. But the way the world is now, fat chance on that happening.

Just one disgusted oldman.

#51 ·
The topics on this forum that seem to get the most engagement are non fishing related, i.e., music, sports, gardening, cooking, film, and on and on.

This is one of my few social websites. And this is a social website. Not just fishing in Washington. As I get to know youse guys, through your accumulating posts, I am interested in the other things the people I am drawn to are interested in. The NFR stuff especially. I know you like fly fishing, so, I like you already. So it is nice to get to know what else you guys like. Books, movies, politics.

We are all looking for connections. We're social animals. Even you, OMJ, or you wouldn't be here. Like me.

Cheers
Hatty the Hermit

#53 ·
That's it; I've had enough. I just put everyone on the forum on ignore.

This place is now awesome. Every post I see is hilarious, highly intelligent, and incredibly relatable. Not a single incorrect post anywhere. No hotspotting either, and this membership sure does rope a ton of chromers.
Anyone know a good summer Steelhead pattern?

#62 ·
I've been on WFF probably as long as OMJ. The community was smaller, more intimate. We got together and got to know each other personally. I've made some lifelong friends because of this forum. I agree with OMJ and wish the content wasn't as political and polarizing as some of it is. But I do want see what @IveofIone has on the grill tonight....

#68 ·
Of all that is happening in the world is in the news papers and on the internet in about a 1000 different sites. Why bring it all on here.

I understand that fishing used to be good in Washington and they all blame it on to many people. I enjoyed fishing here. But with less and less fish and the sizes shrinking. It is hard to enjoy anything. I always found some place to fish. I never caught any big fish. Whoops, I take that back. I caught a White Fraser River King off of Camano Island. Some time in the 70's. It weighed in at 27 lbs. It really cooked up fine. The white meat was fine dining.

Well maybe if Boeing went away, and a few others like Microsoft. You would lose about 2,000,000 people and you would be back to having the time of your life fishing. With Boeing and Microsoft moving elsewhere there would also be trickle down business leave.

Like I said. I can read it in the Newspapers and read it on the world wide web.

#70 ·
I have been on this Fly Fishing site for a long time I first came on in 1998 or 1999. Back in those days all that was talked about was fishing the fly. It was enjoyable. I got to talk to people about fly fishing. You could even tell where you fished and how good of day you had.
Back in the 90s (almost) no one had a clue how the World Wide Web would go nuclear explode and go exponential. For many of us who fished and explored pre-internet started seeing the impact that posting had on fisheries (and the experience) we became less inclined to post "where you fished and how good of a day you had" ... where the spread of that knowledge would have a negative impact on that fishery (and experience

One thing I've noticed from Millennials and Gen Zers (like Sir A) is that they don't know the way things were pre-internet - from their perspective the internet has always been there (in their lifetime) and that is THE way that you acquire and distribute information. Not by exploring and trial and error. And if things go viral we'll that's what the internet does and the internet has always been there, right?

I remember in the early days of this site or Westfly somebody posted a hero report about one of my favorite fisheries "and if you go to this "body of water X" during "time of year Y" the fishing is incredible and NOBODY ELSE WILL BE THERE during "time of year Y". Not for long.

Sometimes I too forget to unzip my pants until after I've pee'd.

#73 ·
Reading this thread I've learned just how difficult it must be to skip over things you have no interest in, and pay no attention to those who irritate you...
Amazingly enough, there are skills one can use to avoid these extremely difficult and challenging situations.

PM me for my courses on successfully navigating social media forums

'How not to be a baby online'
'Trolls... feed, or not feed'
'Internet Sand in your face ? Kick some back'
'Your Mom and 1001 other one liners'
'The art of the squeal, bitching to mods'

79.99 each

Paypal accepted

#81 ·
I appreciate your contributions here OMJ but you sound like an..... OM? Make WFF Great Again. Let’s get back to the days when we all blabbed about where they were biting and how many were caught.

Fact is; fishing tech (technology and technique) changes slowly. Less people come here looking for those things because that info is all over the internet and is easily searchable. Not to mention the fact that if someone asks a question here they usually get hit with the “use the search function” response from the old guard on this site.

I have been posting here for almost 14 years. Some lean years, some more active. I come here to discuss fishing but also to get a laugh from other folks I have something in common with - fly fishing. That’s all I am looking for. Once in awhile, I’ll throw up a report to keep the negative nellies at bay.

Have some fun here big man. Think of WFF as you and your buddies sitting around the campfire after a hard day fishing. Sometimes the last thing you want to talk about is....fishing ;).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.