What Would You Do

bpatton

Kicked
Im curious what you all would do in this situation. My wife and my buddy and I have gone back and forth on this, so I'll ask the WFF public.
The 3 of us booked a day float trip on a NW river for last weekend, several months out putting down 50%. Then this COVID thing happened, I'm not sure if you all heard about it.
We kept in touch with the guide since we weren't really sure what would happen but then they said they weren't guiding due to the pandemic. We said ok, can't do anything about that, and said just to keep our deposit, we would rebook a trip in the future.
Well, about 12 days out from the trip, a day or 2 after they told us they weren't guiding, my wife looks on Instagram and lo and behold, they ARE guiding. They did not contact us in any way shape or form. So my wife sent an email, and the guide said yes, they can guide us but only if we quarantine for 2 weeks before the trip. Keep in mind we're about 12 days out at this point.
We say there's obviously no way we can quarantine so we politely asked for a full refund since we did not know when we would be able to book a trip AND the fact that they basically lied to us about guiding. They refused, offering us 25% or a day on the river but still owing the second half of payment.
Trying to keep this as concise as possible, we were originally booked for Saturday, they offered to guide us but on Sunday because of the weather. We agreed, they then emailed us Saturday evening cancelling the trip because of a weather event that blew out the river on Saturday, oh, and they were out guiding other people on Saturday.

I want my money back and I want to never deal with these people again. What would you all do?

Rob Allen

Im curious what you all would do in this situation. My wife and my buddy and I have gone back and forth on this, so I'll ask the WFF public.
The 3 of us booked a day float trip on a NW river for last weekend, several months out putting down 50%. Then this COVID thing happened, I'm not sure if you all heard about it.
We kept in touch with the guide since we weren't really sure what would happen but then they said they weren't guiding due to the pandemic. We said ok, can't do anything about that, and said just to keep our deposit, we would rebook a trip in the future.
Well, about 12 days out from the trip, a day or 2 after they told us they weren't guiding, my wife looks on Instagram and lo and behold, they ARE guiding. They did not contact us in any way shape or form. So my wife sent an email, and the guide said yes, they can guide us but only if we quarantine for 2 weeks before the trip. Keep in mind we're about 12 days out at this point.
We say there's obviously no way we can quarantine so we politely asked for a full refund since we did not know when we would be able to book a trip AND the fact that they basically lied to us about guiding. They refused, offering us 25% or a day on the river but still owing the second half of payment.
Trying to keep this as concise as possible, we were originally booked for Saturday, they offered to guide us but on Sunday because of the weather. We agreed, they then emailed us Saturday evening cancelling the trip because of a weather event that blew out the river on Saturday, oh, and they were out guiding other people on Saturday.

I want my money back and I want to never deal with these people again. What would you all do?

Get your money back...
Maybe contact the bbb

t_law

Was just about to say this ^^. Call'em out by name on this site and any other social media site you know they frequent or advertise. My guess is you'll be reimbursed pretty quickly.

silvercreek

WFF Supporter
^^^^^

What He said. Let them know what Fly fishing BB's you will post on and others on this BB can Cross post to the BB's they are on.

Since you have an email, that is proof of what they wrote. Quote from the email on your post giving their email address on your post.

Refer then to this post on WaFF

Also contact the Better Business Bureau in their area.

Shame only goes so far. When it hits them in the pocket book, it becomes an economic decision of will I lose more money by not giving a full refund than I will gain by keeping the deposit.

I'm on 4 other FF related BBs and will be glad to spread the message.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
My brother and I had planned a trip to Florida for May 1st. We kept an eye on everything and when it was certain that we weren't able to make the trip, we contacted the outfitter, airline, and car rental. We got the money back from the car rental, Alaska Airlines put our money back in our account, and the outfitter offered the money back but we deferred the money to future trips. It worked out well so far. I guess it all has to do with the outfitter. He's guiding again but we won't be using the trip until November or possibly January depending on the virus thing and air travel.

Slipstream

1. Contact the State department that issued the guide/outfitter license and report the incident.
2. Contact a lawyer.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
2. Contact a lawyer.
So that he gets the deposit back, and then hands the refund plus another $200 to the lawyer?

I recommend cooling it another day or two, try once more with the outfitter, then commence to social media.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
First of all, demanding money for not doing something is extortion. Plain and simple. However, just doing it without threatening them is not illegal. Just state your case and keep to the facts, (no name calling etc) when you bombard social media.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
As a guide I can tell you that this lockdown situation the last few months has been extremely difficult to deal with, from a business perspective. So many unknowns has made it very hard to know how to proceed, and how to answer questions from customers. Luckily in my case I didn't have many trips on the sound scheduled because I was supposed to start in Westport when this all went down so I really wasnt booking trips for my own business at the time. Still, my initial thoughts are to give any guides a little slack and the opportunity to make things right. Sounds like you did exactly that.

Reading your story it sounds like they are doing some pretty shady shit, and are taking advantage of the leeway you've given them. That is not right. How you proceed from here is your choice, but I certainly don't think you are in the wrong in the least.

I can say as a guide I fear social media FAR more than the BBB or anything along those lines.

This has been an extremely difficult situation, and I've tried to handle it as best I can given the amount of unknowns. I am more grateful than I can possibly describe for the support I've received from so many of my customers, in particular quite a few forum members here. I feel it is my duty to be as forthcoming and accomodating to the people who have supported me as I possibly can, and think all guides should be in the same boat, so to speak. By keeping your deposit on file and not requesting a refund you did that business a great service and you should be repaid in kind with a strong effort on their part. The fact that this isn't happening is pretty pathetic and helps to paint all of us with a negative brush. However you choose to proceed, you are completely justified. They should be grateful for your business.

Last edited:

ceviche

So that he gets the deposit back, and then hands the refund plus another $200 to the lawyer?

I recommend cooling it another day or two, try once more with the outfitter, then commence to social media.

Well, if the social shaming doesn't make the guide budge, there's nothing wrong with consulting an attorney. Typically, your attorney will send a "nastygram" for free. If the other guy also has a lawyer on hand, his lawyer can be expected to tell him that it will cost him more to fight. Any sane lawyer knows that such a fight isn't worth his or his client's time and money. Meanwhile, your own lawyer knows that you both have a shot at scoring more than just the deposit back--like punitive damages. If you have a lawyer you've worked with in the past, it doesn't hurt to ask.

mcswny

On multiple occasions (in the motorcycle world), I haven't been able able to get the customer service for a company to return my email. THE DAY I started posting on forums, they contacted me, fixed the problem, then politely asked me to take my post down. Or at the very least update it saying it was taken care of.

moon1284

If you put your deposit on a credit card dispute the charge. If you paid cash I think you will have to keep calling and hounding them until they give you a refund. At this point I wouldn't want to fish with them.

I agree with you that it doesnt make a lot of sense to call them out online.

I think it makes zero sense to engage an attorney.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts