Trip Report Pass Lake After Dark - Redemption

After following the advice of others, and blithely ignoring the advice about psychedelic mushrooms and ghosts, I returned to Pass Lake last night and fished a few hours until I gave up because of the fish.

While I'd hoped to finally catch a brown trout (I've never seen one in person), I never saw one. The rainbows, however, were absolutely ravenous and it felt like I spent more time getting fish off of my hook than I did waiting for a strike. The downside to all of those fish, though, was a complete lack of fight. Only one jumped and made a half-hearted attempt to run, but the rest simply headed straight for me and limply waited for the net. Very odd and I eventually stopped fishing because I started to get worried that there was something wrong with them or that fishing for them at night was causing them unusual distress and thus they weren't fighting.

Here are two of the ones I took photos of. One seemed had some weird spots/missing scales, but the others all looked healthy. All were about the same size, too.

Average fish from last night:
IMG_3336.jpeg

Weird spotty one:
IMG_3337.jpeg

Anyone know what the spots are?

Last edited:

jwale

After following the advice of others, and blithely ignoring the advice about psychedelic mushrooms and ghosts, I returned to Pass Lake last night and fished a few hours until I gave up because of the fish.

While I'd hoped to finally catch a brown trout (I've never seen one in person), I never saw one. The rainbows, however, were absolutely ravenous and it felt like I spent more time getting fish off of my hook than I did waiting for a strike. The downside to all of those fish, though, was a complete lack of fight. Only one jumped and made a half-hearted attempt to run, but the rest simply headed straight for me and limply waited for the net. Very odd and I eventually stopped fishing because I started to get worried that there was something wrong with them or that fishing for them at night was causing them unusual distress and thus they weren't fighting.

Here are two of the ones I took photos of. One seemed had some weird spots/missing scales, but the others all looked healthy. All were about the same size, too.

Average fish from last night:
View attachment 241488

Weird spotty one:
View attachment 241489

Anyone know what the spots are?
Kind of looks like copepods.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info