NFR Does Armed Guys Keep Looters at Bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
WFF Supporter
Still not ready to admit people can and should have different points of view, we can banter all night on this if you wish
Benny, you have done nothing wrong, being white is not your fault, no one is blaming you for being white, nor asking you to feel guilty about it. White privilege does not diminish your hard work, it does not make you any less of a man, it does not mean that you don’t deserve respect and success. It simply means that there is a very real difference between being black and white in America. It is ok to accept your privilege and move forward.

Zak

In the period from 2017 thru Current, approximately half as many black suspects were killed by police as white suspects. On the order of 400 vs 200 per year. Some of those cops where undoubtedly non-white. I am going to spend some time getting the exact racial breakdown on those shootings ie; white cop, black cop, hispanic cop, etc. I have no idea where you get the assumptions about white suprematists so I'll pass. However, unless you have studied each police shooting in depth I'm not sure how you feel comfortable making the statements you make about a black suspect not being a threat to a white cop, or any cop for that matter.

Racism is clearly part of every culture, ours is not exempt. But the narrative being advanced that white cops are out hunting down and murdering unarmed black men as either policy or police culture is simply false. Are there cases that are absolutely unjust and unrighteous, yes, but is it what is being portrayed, I do not believe it is.
Where did you get your facts and numbers? Seriously, I'd like to read it. I was looking at this today and it tells a different story:

For example, it says that police killed 1,099 people in 2019, and that black people were 24% of those killed despite being only 13% of the population.

Now, there are lots more white people than black people in the US, so it makes sense that more white people were killed by police than black people. See here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...tests-when-police-unjustly-kill-white-people/ ("Cops may shoot and kill twice as many white people as black, but there about six times as many white people as black people in the United States. Proportionally, black people are much more likely to be shot and killed by cops.").

Three times more likely, apparently.

I don't accept everything I read, but I figure I can "triangulate the truth" by reading from lots of different sources. Especially sources that I wouldn't normally be drawn to. Kind of like your earlier statement/post about the value of being exposed to different viewpoints so you can test your beliefs.

As an aside, I am really concerned about the "siloing" of political viewpoints in the electronic age. It used to be I'd read the whole newspaper, and it used to have side by side opinion pages with opposing views on the issues of the day. Kind of fair and balanced. ;) Now, my phone spoon feeds me news stories and opinions that it guesses I already agree with. I don't do Facebook and this site is my only social media, but I guess that FB, twitter, and the like also make it it easy to stay within one's comfort zone in terms of the news and viewpoints being put in front of one's eyes. The result, I fear, is that people on the right and left might as well be living on different planets. They read different news, believe different facts, and never have to be exposed to what the "other side" reads and believes unless they actively seek it out. Each thinks the other is living in a bubble.

So, that's a longwinded way to say I'd like to read the source of your info.

Thanks.

smc

WFF Supporter
I have to admit being lectured about white privilege by an old, white, rich by virtually any standard in the word, liberal, fly fisherman, from arguably the whitest city in arguably the whitest state in America is mildly amusing given the very privileged nature of your existence. But ok:rolleyes:

There is audio, from video shot during his arrest where the things that I assert can be heard, from the victim, from the witness, and from the cop. I doubt you will look, but that's on you.

What's also on you, as a liberal, is the fact that the racial inequities that exist in this country are a direct and indisputable result of multiple generations of failed liberal public policy. Virtually every city that has significant poor minority populations has been under the control of liberal democrats for decades, including welfare policy, housing policy and yes Ira, policing policies. It's leftist policies that have trapped generations of black families in dependency and fatherlessness. I don't expect you to own it, but it's yours. Virtually every American city under siege tonight is run by liberal Democrats who are unwilling to uphold the rule of law. They're willing to let a few thousand criminals loot and burn businesses to the ground, many of those businesses are minority owned and those impoverished neighborhoods where most of this is going will never recover. You know why they won't recover, because law abiding citizens, especially minorities, and companies will not trust that those same liberal Democrats will do the right thing and protect them and their property.

One closing thought Ira, when you lecture us about Mr. Floyd's choices in life because of his "entire history as a black man in America" you denigrate the accomplishment of every good, decent, law abiding black man who made the decision he wasn't going down that path. I hope you're especially proud of that part.

If you're so bothered by white privilege, why don't take the time you have left on earth and start a fly fishing program for inner city black kids instead of lecturing people?
I’m SMC, not Ira. That’s not the only fact you are confused about.

Let’s hear the audio you mention. I can’t find it. Link, please.

I’d say most of us are appalled by the violence and destruction of property. I know I am.

You (purposely?) misconstrue my statement about George Lloyd’s history as a black man in America. Or you’re just being ignorant. George Lloyd was not every black man. He was one man, and not perfect. But he was loved. And he was murdered by the police because he was black.

smc

WFF Supporter
In the period from 2017 thru Current, approximately half as many black suspects were killed by police as white suspects. On the order of 400 vs 200 per year. Some of those cops where undoubtedly non-white. I am going to spend some time getting the exact racial breakdown on those shootings ie; white cop, black cop, hispanic cop, etc. I have no idea where you get the assumptions about white suprematists so I'll pass. However, unless you have studied each police shooting in depth I'm not sure how you feel comfortable making the statements you make about a black suspect not being a threat to a white cop, or any cop for that matter.

Racism is clearly part of every culture, ours is not exempt. But the narrative being advanced that white cops are out hunting down and murdering unarmed black men as either policy or police culture is simply false. Are there cases that are absolutely unjust and unrighteous, yes, but is it what is being portrayed, I do not believe it is.
While you’re gathering your stats, keep in mind that, while twice as many white people were killed by police compared to black people, black people are only about 12% of the population.

Speaking about white cops hunting black men: Gregory McMichael and son hunted and killed Ahmed Aubrey.

Gary Knowels

Ira, does anybody have a right to a opinion other than yours ? The truth is not doing criminal acts keeps you from exchanges with law enforcement. Two months ago I got pulled over coming into Leavenworth. The Latino state patrol officer that wrote me up may have be racial profiling me, he may have had racial envy for my eye catching pick up truck, or maybe it was because I was driving 60 in a 50 mph speed zone. But I now believe that cop was racial profiling me because that’s the second ticket I have received in a 40 plus year driveling record & that suits my naritive at this time
Tamir Rice.

Mark Moore

Just a Member
WFF Supporter
I’m SMC, not Ira. That’s not the only fact you are confused about.

Let’s hear the audio you mention. I can’t find it. Link, please.

I’d say most of us are appalled by the violence and destruction of property. I know I am.

You (purposely?) misconstrue my statement about George Lloyd’s history as a black man in America. Or you’re just being ignorant. George Lloyd was not every black man. He was one man, and not perfect. But he was loved. And he was murdered by the police because he was black.
Somehow my replies and quotes got conflated, will edit to clarify.

smc

WFF Supporter
Meanwhile peaceful protesters are gassed in D.C to clear the grounds for a Trump photo op, where he stands in front of a church, and proudly raises a bible.

But that’s it... he doesn’t take a moment to read a suitable passage from the bible he holds up, something appropriate to the moment that might help our country in its time of need.

He proves, once again, that he is not appropriate to the moment.

153 days, and counting.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Minor correction, he was reported for having passed a counterfeit bill. Whether he forged that bill or simply passed it along, we don't know. Whether he knew it was counterfeit or not, we also don't know. And I have to ask myself if I would know if someone passed me a counterfeit bill.
I passed a counterfeit twenty years ago in a store right after I received it from my bank. The cops were called and I explained where I got the bill. We walked over to the bank and the teller remembered me and the transaction of me cashing a check. They had my contact information and said if they needed anything more they would be in touch. End of story. No death. No handcuffs. No arrest. And, the bank reimbursed me for the twenty.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
What have we become? WFF was once a great place to visit, but no longer. 2 threads have deteriorated into name calling; insults to folks because of their political and voting preference or choice in news media/2nd Amendment support/choice in clothing and tactical-style gear (which is functional & useful by the way); uncalled-for “shots” at a WFF member who hasn’t been involved in either thread; friends insulting friends; outright hatred for the POTUS; insulting comments to folks who stepped-up to protect local businesses from real hooligans; etc..

Evidently whether due to Covid quarantine or something else, in posts initially focused on the evils that are hate, racism, criminal acts and prejudice a lot of other examples of hate and prejudice have been revealed. Hell, we even had fat-shaming. We pretty much displayed characteristics of that which we all find deplorable (and I agree that displaying the Confederate flag was in poor taste at a time like this, even if it is a part of this nation’s history). We should ALL be ashamed. I wish I had not posted anything or that I had not shown tacit support by liking anything. While I retain my personal opinions, choices and beliefs I will keep them to myself in the future. When discussions/debates turn into demeaning and hurtful arguments, nothing is accomplished.

I thank those who have attempted to de-fuse the antagonism and those who have attempted to remain civil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts