NFR New fishing vehicle dilemma

tippet

hardcore flyfishing addict
I need to replace my 2016 Ford Expedition because it is approaching 100,000 miles. I trade them in at this point because fishing takes me into some remote areas, and I don't like the risk of a fan belt breaking, transmission going out, etc 50 miles up a dirt road away from civilization. I wanted to order one, but Ford has temporarily halted their production, and they don't know when it will resume.
I started doing a major search on the internet and found a new 2020 Expedition with exactly the same features I wanted, and with no features that I don't want on the vehicle. Unfortunately, it is at a dealership about 5 hours from my home in another state.
Here is my question: Is it best for me to negotiate with and buy it directly from the out of state dealer and try to find out how to get it licensed and pay whatever taxes I would need to pay to both Washington and the other state, or would it be better to go to my local Ford dealer that I have worked with in the past and have them work out a transfer of the vehicle to them so my purchase is from a Washington dealer, simplifying the licensing, taxes, etc. I am hoping to get some insight from those of you who have worked in automotive sales, or have had a similar experience. Thanks!

Lakota

I would guess the average mileage on a fishing rig for members of this site to be well north of 100k. My unsolicited advice would be to invest in some preventative maintenance and take the $65k you saved from not buying a new truck and treat yourself to a an exoctic fishing trip or 3!

Having said that, buying a car out of state is extremely common. You only pay taxes where you title the car and the dealership you work with will be able to walk you through the steps you need to take. The only concern I can think of in our current situation is that you may have to make a trip to the DMV where an in state dealership will be able to file everything for you and save you a trip into public.

Jerry Daschofsky

Will Fish for Cinnamon Rolls and Coffee.
WFF Supporter
@tippet have you been maintaining the vehicle? I go to some pretty remote areas too. Normal maintenance, and preemptive parts changes, can well extend life of vehicle without worry of breakdown down.

I custom ordered this truck back in 1995. I put over 350,000 hard miles on it (boat and camper, 5th wheel trips around US, etc). Mind you I mostly drove this truck for fun, though the last few years it was my daily driver too. Usually had a K5 I used for day trips and daily driving. I finally upgraded when my expenses maintaining truck was almost as much as another truck payment. Which took almost 25 years to get too.

FB_IMG_1588430817239.jpg

fly-by

WFF Supporter
Though your local dealer will need to get paid, the amount may approximate the travel or delivery costs you would otherwise pay getting the vehicle from the out of state dealer. They're always moving cars around so if you can wait a week or two for the vehicle you should be able to get the delivery cost down and pay your local dealer a similar price.

Irish11

97 Subaru Outback with some periodic maintenance does me just fine, although I wish I had an FJ40 instead...
As someone who has an FJ40, if you want to drive past a gas station its not the rig for you, haha. 9mpg with a 11 gal tank is not exactly economical. That being said, its a fun rig to drive and you cannot help but smile doing it.

Buy a Tundra, at 100K it’s just getting broken in.
Agreed. My 2nd Gen Tacoma with the same 4.0L v6 as the early Tundras is a tank. I'm at 125k and its just broken in. There was a 1st gen Tundra with the same engine that did over a million miles (with regular maintenance). Might be time to just invest in a vehicle that can put the miles on and you don't have to worry about it. Also, as long as OP has a non-interference engine a fan belt wont stop you. Just carry some spare parts, a tool set, and a basic manual and you should be fine. Also remember that AAA only tows off paved roads so just make sure you can limp back to one of those ;) (they tow off forest roads too, it just costs WAY more).

fly-by

WFF Supporter
Sounds like the OP has his mind made up but I'm a big fan of the 4.0 L Toyota as well. 2011 Tacoma double cab long bed (I think of it as a narrower Tundra) with 85k. Cosmetically beat but a solid truck that should be good for another 100k easily.

tippet

Thank you for your replies. I am on my third Expedition and they have been amazing. The only unanticipated repair that any of them have needed was a power window that quit on one a number of years ago. I do all the routine maintenance that is recommended in a timely fashion. The Expedition is the only SUV that is big enough in the cargo area for me to put my pontoon boat in with minimal deflation and also provide all the other features I am looking for. The Ford Ecoboost engine is amazing.

I had an experience with another brand 29 years ago that required me to hitchhike almost 90 miles out of wilderness, leaving my family camping with a vehicle with a hole in the oil pan from a rock that I thought I could clear.That has perhaps overly sensitized me to the risks of backcountry fishing and I am fortunate enough to have the money to purchase a new vehicle every few years. The FX4 package on the Expedition gives me a lot more confidence with the underside protection it provides.

Lakota's point about the DMV/COVID 19 situation has helped me decide to have my local Ford dealer obtain the vehicle from the other dealership and purchase it from my local dealer. I am very grateful for all of you who have taken the time to share your knowledge and insights with me

GAT

Dumbfounded
I work at a Ford dealership and we made "dealer trades" all over the NW all the time. You are far ahead to buy your vehicle from a local dealership. Some may think it doesn't make a difference, but trust me, we do go an extra mile for customers who purchased their vehicle from us. We decide who gets a loaner vehicle while a vehicle is in for service and who doesn't.

Guess who does and who doesn't.

MT_Flyfisher

@tippet the only thing I’d add to the comments already made is to give your local dealer your specs and first let them try to locate the vehicle for you. They may be aware of one that’s already on order, or in transit, and will be coming in soon that might be a better option than having to go farther away for the vehicle.

I’ve had a couple Ford Expeditions myself in the past (I worked for Ford so the deal I got on them was too good to turn down. :)) and they made nice fishing vehicles. My present and recent past fishing vehicles are/were crew cab 4x4 F150’s, with caps and roof racks on them, not a lot different from your Expedition.

John Dude

Learned skills from George Dickel
Get a professional car buyer to obtain the car for you. They know every car on every dealers lot and have much more clout in negotiating prices. I used Auto Advisor for my last 2 pickup trucks. The one in 1993 they got 2200$$ off the price and got it transferred here from a dealership in Lewiston for free. The second one in 2011 they got 5500$$ off the price.

tippet

GAT, I think that you are making a good point. I have decided to work through my local dealer. MT_Flyfisher, I was very tempted to get an F-150, but I have 13 grandkids, and the eight seat capacity of the Expedition comes in handy from time to time. I also sometimes sleep in the back of the Expedition when fishing rivers. John Dude, I have never heard of professional car buyers! I will have to educate myself regarding that option. Thanks to all for your insights!

steelydan

Newb seeking wisdom
As someone who has an FJ40, if you want to drive past a gas station its not the rig for you, haha. 9mpg with a 11 gal tank is not exactly economical. That being said, its a fun rig to drive and you cannot help but smile doing it.

Agreed. My 2nd Gen Tacoma with the same 4.0L v6 as the early Tundras is a tank. I'm at 125k and its just broken in. There was a 1st gen Tundra with the same engine that did over a million miles (with regular maintenance). Might be time to just invest in a vehicle that can put the miles on and you don't have to worry about it. Also, as long as OP has a non-interference engine a fan belt wont stop you. Just carry some spare parts, a tool set, and a basic manual and you should be fine. Also remember that AAA only tows off paved roads so just make sure you can limp back to one of those ;) (they tow off forest roads too, it just costs WAY more).
You Toy fanboys must be ignoring the recall notices for failed leaf springs, rusted frames collapsing, and all the other cheapest crap they could find that surrounds that 4.0. You must also like drum brakes, short, inefficient gearing, cheap crappy interiors, and if you want a 4.0, you have to go back a couple of years to before Toy decided a Camry engine was cheaper and people would buy their crap anyway.
this is from someone who spent time tellling Toy Corporate the vehicles had problems and they told me to pound sand.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts