NFR Racism Today - A Different Prospective (Possibly)

Rob Allen

Do you even know what a hippy is? Boy do you generalize. Rob...maybe they were I don't know but sometimes you lump stuff together...and I realize it's easy to brand "hippys" but I have to wonder if that is a bias showing... Hippys changed our world in the right way...protest..."this shit is wrong" good for them. Needs to happen now...in a big way...I will watch.I'm old and just happy...so when you let your shit fly through not even th inking just posting you convey a n attitude that pisses some sensitive folks off. Me included..

Hmmm
1. We have different views on what the "hippies" accomplished and different views on the changes that have taken place since then. I don't want to argue about that.

2. When i said hippy. I was thinking of a specific example of someone i knew.
He lived in a cabin without plumbing , grew pot for his own use, bathed in the tail out of the stair step pool and sold firewood out of an ancient f-150 to make ends meet, barely.
As far as i know, he was great guy. His name was Bruce. I haven't seen him since the early 90s. If you have a problem with me defining him as a hippy, I'll refer you to the Willy Nelson song.

What about the accomplishments of all those hard working rednecks? Lots of them left blood and body parts in the forest and in the mills to provide homes for people and paper productd and a lot of them aerved their country in Asia even though their country wasn't serving them.

Not interested in discussing any of the political aspects of any of this.

I gave an accurate account of my experiences of growing up in the 837.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Hmmm
1. We have different views on what the "hippies" accomplished and different views on the changes that have taken place since then. I don't want to argue about that.

2. When i said hippy. I was thinking of a specific example of someone i knew.
He lived in a cabin without plumbing , grew pot for his own use, bathed in the tail out of the stair step pool and sold firewood out of an ancient f-150 to make ends meet, barely.
As far as i know, he was great guy. His name was Bruce. I haven't seen him since the early 90s. If you have a problem with me defining him as a hippy, I'll refer you to the Willy Nelson song.

What about the accomplishments of all those hard working rednecks? Lots of them left blood and body parts in the forest and in the mills to provide homes for people and paper productd and a lot of them aerved their country in Asia even though their country wasn't serving them.

Not interested in discussing any of the political aspects of any of this.

I gave an accurate account of my experiences of growing up in the 837.
then qualify your post with verbage to that effect Rob...you follow the sME PATTERNS AND HAVE SINCE THE OLD WF days...when I supported your right to say what you say...this is not an ugly volitile place like that place could be...Vaguery brings comments...including from me.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
Please do not get me wrong. Absolutely no-one should be subject to the treatment imposed by those reprehensible cops. I sincerely hope that they get what they deserve. And this country has long been due for a racial reckoning. Perhaps I was just taken aback by Sharpton's seeming deification of "Brother George" and wondered if Floyd would have even been physically present for those police to confront had he not been high on fentanyl and meth which, I believe, the father of a six year old should probably be encouraged to avoid.
Your problem is you think that his past or his condition somehow exonerates the vile behavior of those policemen. It is irrelevant.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Supporter
Thanks for sharing Jasmillo! I agree that was probably an odd phenomenon and that most people are genuinely good.

I must also add that Vietnamese (and other Asian groups) aren't free of prejudices either. Most notably my parent's generation and the way they look down upon African Americans as somehow inferior. It's a common theme of ignorance and stemmed from the lack of interactions, stereotypes and portrayals on the media.

I believe things will get better though no matter how slow :)
But there are thousands of prejudiced whites for every prejudiced Vietnamese.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I grew up in seattle in the 60's and 70's where they bused from north seattle to the cd and vicea versa. I now live in walla walla and know many white, black, hispanic, asian, SDA, catholic, agnostic and native folks. In my experience it's a persons ethics, values and choices that put them in the conditions and environments in which they live, not the color of ones skin.

Albula

swollen member
Your problem is you think that his past or his condition somehow exonerates the vile behavior of those policemen. It is irrelevant.
I am not entirely sure your have identified my problem. What you stated as fact is not true and no where did I say that. No one deserves the treatment George Floyd was subjected to in spite of his past criminal history and chosen behaviors. The fact that he had been incarcerated for years and had adult children who had had no contact with him since they were 4 or 5 years old and was reportedly under the influence of various substances does however speak to some of the choices he made and it may well be that his state of mind and compromised condition were factors in the tragic confrontation that occurred. There are no winners here. Once again the worst in mankind tends to bring out the worst in mankind. Were there an easy answer I am sure someone much more learned and astute than I would have come up with it and we would all be catching fresh wild steelhead on dries and never having to resort to the use of boobers. (Sorry Ira)

Last edited:

smc

I am not entirely sure your have identified my problem. What you stated as fact is not true and no where did I say that. No one deserves the treatment George Floyd was subjected to in spite of his past criminal history and chosen behaviors. The fact that he had been incarcerated for years and had adult children who had had no contact with him since they were 4 or 5 years old and was reportedly under the influence of various substances does however speak to some of the choices he made and it may well be that his state of mind and compromised condition were factors in the tragic confrontation that occurred. There are no winners here. Once again the worst in mankind tends to bring out the worst in mankind. Were there an easy answer I am sure someone much more learned and astute than I would have come up with it and we would all be catching fresh wild steelhead on dries and never having to resort to the use of boobers. (Sorry Ira)

If you are going to look at a man, you should try to see the whole man, not just his shadow.

Your melange of insinuation appears to be deliberately disingenuous.

Did he have a drug problem? Maybe. Despite that, by all accounts he was as good a father as he could be.

George Floyd was also a devout christian and mentor. Article from Christianity Today: https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2020/may/george-floyd-ministry-houston-third-ward-church.html

Albula

swollen member
According to news sources, again who you believe, George Floyd's adult children read of his death and were not aware that he was their father until they were told by the mother. Devout Christian? Perhaps I am old-fashioned but how does a devout Christian desert a 5 year old?

SawyerJones

According to news sources, again who you believe, George Floyd's adult children read of his death and were not aware that he was their father until they were told by the mother. Devout Christian? Perhaps I am old-fashioned but how does a devout Christian desert a 5 year old?

Do you make a hobby out of looking for the bad in people who have been murdered? Take your judgmental bullshit elsewhere.

Rob Allen

then qualify your post with verbage to that effect Rob...you follow the sME PATTERNS AND HAVE SINCE THE OLD WF days...when I supported your right to say what you say...this is not an ugly volitile place like that place could be...Vaguery brings comments...including from me.

my original post was perfectly clear and accurate.

bpatton

Kicked
Well if people were rioting because George skipped out on child support payments and he never knew his children that would be a good point.
Unfortunately people are rioting because of the systemic racism in this country.
If being a lousy/absentee father were a crime punishable by death, I assure there would be lots of dead white dudes too.

gt

I grew up in seattle in the 60's and 70's where they bused from north seattle to the cd and vicea versa. I now live in walla walla and know many white, black, hispanic, asian, SDA, catholic, agnostic and native folks. In my experience it's a persons ethics, values and choices that put them in the conditions and environments in which they live, not the color of ones skin.
bull shit!!! equal opportunities do not exist for a whole lot of folks based on their color or country of origin.

smc

Old fashioned? If that means trafficking in rumor and fake news about man murdered by an officer of the law, then yep. Way to go boomer.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts