Boats for the salt...

andyk

Wannabe Senior Member
WFF Supporter
I bought a 15' Hobie Power Skiff center console last summer and I'm starting to get it set up for fishing. It was repowered over the winter and had an MFD installed. Now it's time for top and bottom paint, and some other minor repairs before it's ready to hit the salt.

I'm trying to get some ideas on how to set it all up and would love to see some pictures of smaller boats that WFFers are using in the salt. I looked for a picture of mine but don't seem to have it on this computer. Here's a picture of the same model (mine is red):

In Slip Aft Port Qtr.jpg

NRC

WFF Supporter
I bought a 15' Hobie Power Skiff center console last summer and I'm starting to get it set up for fishing. It was repowered over the winter and had an MFD installed. Now it's time for top and bottom paint, and some other minor repairs before it's ready to hit the salt.

I'm trying to get some ideas on how to set it all up and would love to see some pictures of smaller boats that WFFers are using in the salt. I looked for a picture of mine but don't seem to have it on this computer. Here's a picture of the same model (mine is red):

View attachment 241662
I can show you some optimal techniques for casting off the bow if you run the tiller. I like helping people.

Jake

WFF Supporter
Just get rid of as many things that will catch fly lines as you cast.
^ This.

I would get rid of the railings, install cleats that pop up or sit flush, consider ditching the rod holders, etc.

When fly fishing I even remove the windscreen from the boat as well. I want everything I can get to be as smooth as possible and flush with, or below, the gunnels.

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
^ This.

I would get rid of the railings, install cleats that pop up or sit flush, consider ditching the rod holders, etc.

When fly fishing I even remove the windscreen from the boat as well. I want everything I can get to be as smooth as possible and flush with, or below, the gunnels.
Pop up cleats are good- though it looks like that boat doesn’t have any cleats in the first place. I would like to have good rod storage for a set up 9’ rod, ready to grab and go. That would probably lead to catching more fish. I certainly wouldn’t get rid of the railings, they might just stop you from falling overboard, and they don’t catch fly lines. A big, square line bucket in the back right corner and one at the bow and you’re good.

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
Cool looking little boat but do you need to step over into the console to operate it?
Console design does look a bit weird. Seems to have the same problem that my boat does, which is that you have to sit down to drive it. That is something I would really like to change - though maybe the seat on that one flips up? Having to step in and out of the console looks like a real hazard in anything but a flat calm.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Nice looking boat.
I agree with Chucker.
I’d leave the rails alone as well, as you might fish with people that aren’t super agile (old or young) on their feet sometime in the future.

Maybe the console is open on the other side?
I’m sure Andy can fill us in.
SF

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
That is a super cool little boat!

Id remove anything that wasn't needed and could be a line snagger, but I wouldn't sweat it too much. I find no matter how well I clean up a boat fly line just finds a way to snag stuff.

I wouldn't dream of removing the rails personally.

Stripping buckets would be my biggest addition at this point.

Jake

WFF Supporter
Pop up cleats are good- though it looks like that boat doesn’t have any cleats in the first place. I would like to have good rod storage for a set up 9’ rod, ready to grab and go. That would probably lead to catching more fish. I certainly wouldn’t get rid of the railings, they might just stop you from falling overboard, and they don’t catch fly lines. A big, square line bucket in the back right corner and one at the bow and you’re good.
Well, that’s the beauty of a custom setup, I suppose. Never once gone overboard or even come close despite being out when the weather turned bad—and I’ve never had a boat with side rails (okay, I had one and I yanked them). If you’ve never seen a line tangled on them, you’ve never met my 8-year-old and his grandpa’s boat. But that’s just me and my boat’s got pretty high gunnels that may be the reason I’m not keen on railings. YMMV.

andyk

Wannabe Senior Member
WFF Supporter
Cool looking little boat but do you need to step over into the console to operate it?
Unfortunately, yes. I considered swapping the console, but that's a project for a year or two down the line. I'm just itching to get this out and fish.

Merle

Not New, Just rarely post...
I don't' have any additional suggestions, but just wanted to say what a cool little boat that is.

What engine do you have on it?

-andy

andyk

Wannabe Senior Member
WFF Supporter
Nice looking boat.
I agree with Chucker.
I’d leave the rails alone as well, as you might fish with people that aren’t super agile (old or young) on their feet sometime in the future.

Maybe the console is open on the other side?
I’m sure Andy can fill us in.
SF
The console is like a little cockpit. You have to step in from either side. It's a bit cumbersome, but I hope to change it out to a more classic center console with a leaning post or flip-up seat in the future.

The boat is light, agile, and really fun to run. I repowered to a Yamaha 70HP 4-stroke, so it can get up and go.

Buzzy

..... but I wouldn't sweat it too much. I find no matter how well I clean up a boat fly line just finds a way to snag stuff.
Agree - I snag my feet often, well, step on the line and the line tangles if I so much as twitch a foot...

Very cool boat. At 70 I'd feel comfortable on the bow with the rails.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts