Travel to Alaska

Uncle Stu

Active Member
Thanks BN2FSH. We booked a Sept trip just before the lockdown. Fingers crossed that things will lighten up but if not, I suppose we can get tested and bring the proof. About this time every year, I start salivating over coho videos and tying way more gurglers than I will actually need when I get there.
 

Jake

Active Member
WFF Supporter
Fuck. I fly there July 8.

Correction, WAS going to fly there.

Thank m you, @BN2FSH for the head’s up, and for allowing me to cancel my guide now instead of last minute and screwing him out of a week of bookings.

I owe you a beer sometime.
 
Last edited:

Uncle Stu

Active Member
Fuck. I fly there July 8.

Correction, WAS going to fly there.

Thank m you, @BN2FSH for the head’s up, and for allowing me to cancel my guide now instead of last minute and screwing him out of a week of bookings.

I owe you a beer sometime.
It's actually none of my damn business, so feel free to tell me to bugger off, but there must be a good reason why you don't just book a COVID test for about 4 days before you leave? Thats what we're doing, just in case these restrictions are still in place in Sept. Gonna check with my doctor and see if i can book an appointment.

My Alaska trip is getting cancelled? Over my dead body.
 

Jake

Active Member
WFF Supporter
It's actually none of my damn business, so feel free to tell me to bugger off, but there must be a good reason why you don't just book a COVID test for about 4 days before you leave? Thats what we're doing, just in case these restrictions are still in place in Sept. Gonna check with my doctor and see if i can book an appointment.

My Alaska trip is getting cancelled? Over my dead body.
I ran through the risks and outcomes, and came up with two main reasons:

1. Testing is too uncertain. I could possibly get tested 7/3, 7/6, or 7/7 (July 4th and 5th are holidays and Saturday/Sunday, so that’s a dicey proposition given the holiday weekend). That said, every place I called said they cannot guarantee I have my results by the 8th even if I get tested on 7/3. Right now, without the July 4th holiday weekend, the delays range between 10 minutes and seven days, and they anticipate being understaffed and having longer delays then.Not a lot of wiggle room on dates. The helicopter lifts off 7/9.

I can fly into Alaska without a test, and hope I can get tested at the airport, but I’ve been told by airport officials in Anchorage that the tests are few in quantity and priority is given to Alaskan residents first.

If I don’t have a test when I fly out, I’m gambling that I can get one in the Alaskan airport. If I don’t, I’m stuck in a hotel room for two weeks on my own nickel.

2. I’d rather not risk screwing over my guide and pilot. If I wait until right before my trip to find out I can’t get the test, I’m screwing my guide (and the helicopter pilot) out of the ability to rebook those dates. Cancelling now gives them a month to find other clients—not ideal, but better than giving them a day or two.



There are several possible outcomes, but only two of which see me fishing—and one of those two is a shaky proposition.

1. I get the test and fail. (-1)

2. I get the test but results don’t come in time. So I rely on the airport in Alaska having them. (-1; see below)

2A. Airport has them.
2A.1 I fail and am stuck in quarantine in Alaska for two weeks on my own dime. (-1)
2A.2 I pass the test and go fishing. (+1)

2B. Airport doesn’t have them. I am stuck on quarantine in Alaska for two weeks on my own dime. (-1)

3. I get the test and pass. (+1) I go fishing.


My analysis came up net negative, so I’d rather rebook for next summer and not risk it. Gonna go chase skinny water and salmon here in Washington instead.
 
Last edited:

Rock Creek Fan

Active Member
I can understand why Alaska is being careful. They have the lowest rate of COVID-19 of all US states: 513 confirmed cases and 10 deaths. I just am not sure it is really going to work with regards to the test result paperwork. COVID-19 is very contagious in the early stages. A negative test 5 days old will not necessarily catch it.

There are a good series of articles on this site about flying on airplanes and the risks associated with it:

Leeham News

The 5th in the series is not as good and informative as earlier ones in the series...
 

Augie57

Active Member
I fish every year in the Kuskokwim delta, the Yupik village requested the state to close fishing this year, the state declined to close fishery. To get to the fish camp you must go through the village, they have minimal health facility, If you are sick or injured it’s a plane to bethel.
The village decided to close to non villagers.
good for them! The fish will be there next year.
 

WonkyWapiti

Active Member
So I was planning on staying at a buddies place in Alaska and doing some fishing during the end of July. I haven't been paying attention to much of this since I have been working a ton. An online search is as clear as mud. For those with any experience, what is a realistic timeline for getting results back? for a qualifying test?
 

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

Top