Rattlesnake Aversion Clinic- Spokane

matalpa

I have seen a bit of talk about rattlers recently, so I asked admin if it would be ok if I posted about a Rattlesnake Aversion Clinic.

The Spokane Bird Dog Association has been hosting this for a few years, and it works really well for keeping your dog from messing with rattlers, whether hunting or fishing or just in the yard. The professional trainers from Natural Solutions bring a bunch of different types of rattlers and teach dogs not to mess with them.

They do use electronic collars, but this is not a fry the dog and make it squeal scenario- they are pretty gentle.

Anyway, if you are interested, it is happening in Medical Lake on Friday, June 26th. You need an appointment- that way folks are not standing around all day. Cost is $75 per dog. Snakes are muzzled with very fine surgical tape, so they can not bite.

You can contact me at (509)850-1839 or [email protected].

Rock Creek Fan

When I lived in Alabama, we found out our Irish Setter was fully aware of rattlesnakes. When my brother brought one home (head shot off) and we placed it on the deck, our setter was on point and fully aware. Touch the dog and he was 3 feet off the ground at least. It was a tasty treat but very bony to say the least...

longputt

I had some work to do with my pointer after the season...hunting creates bad habits by the hunter and my pointer is smart enough to take advantage of me!...In the course of this I met several Spokane Bird Dog Assn members and I was very impressed. I'm going to this Clinic...this is a great group

Ron McNeal

Remember Jimmy The Greek?..........
What a great idea! I have friends that have spent literally thousands in vain attempts to save their dogs that got tangled up with rattlers while out rockhounding. You and your group are to be commended.

longputt

What a great idea! I have friends that have spent literally thousands in vain attempts to save their dogs that got tangled up with rattlers while out rockhounding. You and your group are to be commended.
Interesting, I know of 5 dogs that have been bitten and all recovered but 2 had severe nasal passage issues and had trouble breathing and could never hunt again. We took turns carrying a bitten GSP out of canyon and I remember looking at that poor dog with a full-sized watermelon for a head thinking it was over. But it hunted again the next fall.

triploidjunkie

Interesting, I know of 5 dogs that have been bitten and all recovered but 2 had severe nasal passage issues and had trouble breathing and could never hunt again. We took turns carrying a bitten GSP out of canyon and I remember looking at that poor dog with a full-sized watermelon for a head thinking it was over. But it hunted again the next fall.
When I lived outside of town, every dog eventually got bit. Had two good ones not make it. I came home to one of my favorite pups of all time standing in the sprinkler. I instantly knew what happened, and did everything I could, but she died. I had another have seizures all night. Didn't think she would pull through, but she did.

Porter

My dog will stay west of the cascades and learn to love cold rivers and beaches. Not to mention that snakes freak me out...ok if I see them first but it’s the Whoa! WTF just slithered across my feet moments!!! :eek:

longputt

When I lived outside of town, every dog eventually got bit. Had two good ones not make it. I came home to one of my favorite pups of all time standing in the sprinkler. I instantly knew what happened, and did everything I could, but she died. I had another have seizures all night. Didn't think she would pull through, but she did.
That's a bummer I hate losing dogs...didn't you post a rattlesnake out in January...damn I'd move!

matalpa

I think that aversion training is the most important first step, but for those of you in chronic rattler country, there is a vaccine that is pretty inexpensive. There are 2 shots a month or so apart the first year, then a yearly booster. As I recall, it is optimized for a western diamondback, which is not the subspecies we have here in Washington.

From what I have heard, it definitely makes things better if your dog gets bitten by any rattler, though the Mojave Green is something of an exception.

Not too many vets in this area have it, but my vet carries it.
Luther McConnell. Animal Clinic of Spokane

The manufacturer is Red Rock Biologics, if you want to do more research.

longputt

When people are bitten by rattlesnakes there can be a bad infection. A friends daughter was hospitalized for several days dealing with the infection, after being bitten at the Gorge Amphitheater.

Are the dogs less susceptible to the infection?

matalpa

No idea how susceptible a dog is to infection from a snake bite, but it seems like every time I take a dog to the vet for anything that puts a hole in her the vet gives her antibiotics.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts