Article on Racism in the Outdoor and Fly Fishing Industry

Matt Paluch

WFF Supporter
Chad is a friend of mine. He is a combat veteran and he runs a fly fishing business to fund his mission to take disadvantaged youth up to Alaska to teach them an appreciation for the outdoors and also help them through anything they are dealing with. He's one of the best people we have in our tiny corner of the world known as fly fishing. I encourage everyone to read this. I personally witnessed one of the events he mentions in the article. Fortunately, the fly fishing community reacted swiftly and harshly to that situation, but we have a lot more work to do.
Chad Brown: Thoughts on the killing of George Floyd

NW_flyfisher

if it's not this, then what?
Chad is a friend of mine. He is a combat veteran and he runs a fly fishing business to fund his mission to take disadvantaged youth up to Alaska to teach them an appreciation for the outdoors and also help them through anything they are dealing with. He's one of the best people we have in our tiny corner of the world known as fly fishing. I encourage everyone to read this. I personally witnessed one of the events he mentions in the article. Fortunately, the fly fishing community reacted swiftly and harshly to that situation, but we have a lot more work to do.
Chad Brown: Thoughts on the killing of George Floyd
Thank you for posting this Matt. I remember reading about his fly shop in a news article years ago and I always wondered what kind of adversity he ran into while out FFishing. I was saddened in this article to discover he experienced hate and threats while out fishing, but not surprised.
I admire the fact that his shop’s goal is to introduce underprivileged kids to fly fish.

Steve Call

Yes, thanks for posting. How sad that his enjoyment of nature and fly fishing has been marred by the intolerance of others. How sad?

bpatton

All I know is that I would never talk shit to some dude who’s all tatted up with a gun on their chest out in the woods.
Black, white, Asian...whatever.

Jim Darden

I think it is a bunch of crap! Riots are not the voice of Martin Luther King, that is a slur against his teachings and dishonors him! I don't believe there is systemic racism in this country. No other country has given more blood and treasure (white lives) to ensure racial equality than this one. No other country has passed more laws to prevent prejudice than this one. Why do you assume the killing of Floyd was a racial issue, I think he would have done the same to anyone he didn't like. The FBI statistics on police confrontations clearly show you chances of being killed by a cop are much higher if you are white. Let's root out the bad cops and prosecute them, like these, and keep vigilante against abuses of Americans by those in power!

Rock Creek Fan

I think it is a bunch of crap! Riots are not the voice of Martin Luther King, that is a slur against his teachings and dishonors him! I don't believe there is systemic racism in this country. No other country has given more blood and treasure (white lives) to ensure racial equality than this one. No other country has passed more laws to prevent prejudice than this one. Why do you assume the killing of Floyd was a racial issue, I think he would have done the same to anyone he didn't like. The FBI statistics on police confrontations clearly show you chances of being killed by a cop are much higher if you are white. Let's root out the bad cops and prosecute them, like these, and keep vigilante against abuses of Americans by those in power!
Regarding bolded above. Yes more whites are killed each year by LE than blacks.

But if you look at it by 'numbers per million by population' you get a much different answer:

Last edited:

NukeLDO

Not to get in a pissing match, but, how out of touch can you be?
Sad.

Thanks for posting the link Matt.

Rock Creek Fan

<snip>

Thanks for posting the link Matt.
I find it much easier to talk/challenge statistics than blurted out comments. It reduces the personal discussions/attacks and becomes one regarding validity of sources. Sorta of a de-escalation methodology IMHO...

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I always believed that ignorance is best called out and refuted directly, forcefully and without restraint.
Otherwise, let go, it becomes part of some dumbfuks belief system, and spreads to others.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Its always amusing when white men claim that systemic racism doesn't exist.

Thanks for this Matt. It was a good read. I honestly never considered a black man would get harassed just for fishing. Thats unbelievably sad and pathetic. I cant imagine being so filled with hate, fear, and ignorance that I'd be angry at seeing a black man enjoying the outdoors.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts