NFR Sharpening a knife w/ serrated edge?

Big Tuna

I have a number of knives with serrated edges that need sharpening. Will any knife sharpener work, or do I need one that is specific to serrated blades? Thanks.

gt

you only hone the straight edge when they need sharpenning. not a big deal to do this.

Mark Moore

Just a Member
WFF Supporter
So I have one of those knife sharpeners for dummies. It sounds like I need a stone?
You might want to get a quote locally with a sharpening service. They will have the equipment to do it right and it might not be that expensive.

Reactions: BDD

tkww

So I have one of those knife sharpeners for dummies. It sounds like I need a stone?
Something flat, yes, because it's basically zero angle. And depending on the size of the serations and the size of a steel or ceramic rod you have available, you can also go through on the serated side one by one to try to help realign the edge.

Big Tuna

Thanks for the replies. At the risk of pissing off OMJ, one of the things I love about this site is that you can ask a question about pretty much anything and someone can give you an intelligent answer or informed opinion.

David Loy

Senior Moment
I’ve never done it, but I do have the Spyderco Knife Sharpener and it comes with an excellent “how to” video by the creator. He shows how to do both straight and serrated blades.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I have a number of knives with serrated edges that need sharpening. Will any knife sharpener work, or do I need one that is specific to serrated blades? Thanks.
The blue triangular stone in this Smith's Standard kit is for sharpening serrated knives (serrated side only).
20200606_130853.jpg
If it’s not in bad shape, sharpening with the bottom of a coffee Ceramic coffee cup will make you able to shave with that knife
I'll have to try that!

newfydog

You might be surprised how well it works to do it wrong. I can appreciate all the good advice on just doing the flat side, or having a proper shaped stone for the serrated side. I keep a 12 " diamond impregnated sharpening rod in the kitchen and it works great to keep all the regular knives sharp.. I recently tried some old cheap serrated knives and holy cow! Just a few passes and they became scary sharp. A quality serrated knife with a set of elegant serrations would eventually have deformed serrations from such abuse, but I'm old and deformed from the years as well, and this is really fast, easy and effective.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts