Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

SRC boat - how big is too big?

5K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  Jeff Dodd 
#1 · (Edited)
For those of you who have fly fished beaches for SRC out of a # of different boats, I'm curious at what length does the size become a "hassle", or too much boat for the job? It seems something around 17' is ideal for two or three folks, and obviously something like a 30' behemoth is simply impractical for beach/SRC work....but between those I don't have much insight on where to draw the line so to speak and I haven't been on enough boats myself to have an informed opinion.

Thanks

edit: sorry I meant for this to be in the watercraft forum, but I guess this works too.

#2 ·
It's like fly rods, in my opinion. You can catch brookies on a 12wt, and you can throw dries with it, but not as easily as a rod that is suited to the task.

For me 16-18' is easy enough to stick in a garage, tows and backs easily, and is a nice size for lakes and for the Sound. Sure, a bigger boat would do better in bad weather, but if it gets to that I'm either not going out or I'm headed back to the dock.

#3 ·
Agreed - that range seems ideal if you are buying a boat specifically for SRC fishing. But every boat is a compromise, and a larger boat potentially opens the doors for other items....so I'm curious where to draw the line at the top end to not 'restrict' SRC fishing, or where is the top end of the range of practical SRC boats so to speak.

#18 ·
Awesome thanks. That's good to know. What was the biggest issue you think? Was it too hard to control on a nice drift on a coastline due to the size and weight? Too hard to punch into the tighter beaches/coves? All the above?

#16 ·
I don't know man your boat with the jet can run over shit that is only half an inch deep. In fact I think some of those rocks were actually out of the water and we still made it over just fine. I think you may be onto something here.

#27 ·
I like his thinking. My father had an 18 foot and fished cutties out of it. He wished he'd have a 21'.

I like Stonefish's idea of the 16-19 foot Lund tiller skill. Alumaweld makes a nice skiff too with tiller. I like the open dance floor, no CC that gets in the way. But,... 16-19 foot tiller skiff would be a big improvement to the 14 foot tiller skiff I'm using now so,...

#17 ·
Gman,
My family went through a number of boats while growing up.
I think it comes down to do you want just a dedicated boat for src fishing or one you can do a lot of other stuff with as well, like crabbing, taking the current mrs Gman for a cruise etc...;)
Not that you can't do that in a src boat, but there are always compromises.
Glass will give you a smother ride, aluminum might be a bit easier to maintain.
I think if I was going to pull the trigger on something, it would be a hard decision.
Two boats I've always liked as multipurpose boats are Klamath and Lund Alaskan in either the ss or tiller set-up.
Neither would be the perfect src setup but you could do a hell of a lot on the sound with both.
SF

Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Product Vehicle
Automotive parking light Product Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Font Office equipment Gas Technology Screenshot

#19 ·
Gman,
My family went through a number of boats while growing up.
I think it comes down to do you want just a dedicated boat for src fishing or one you can do a lot of other stuff with as well, like crabbing, taking the current mrs Gman for a cruise etc...;)
Not that you can't do that in a src boat, but there are always compromises.
Glass will give you a smother ride, aluminum might be a bit easier to maintain.
I think if I was going to pull the trigger on something, it would be a hard decision.
Two boats I've always liked as multipurpose boats are Klamath and Lund Alaskan in either the ss or tiller set-up.
Neither would be the perfect src setup but you could do a hell of a lot on the sound with both.
SF

View attachment 242058 View attachment 242059 View attachment 242060
Yeah it's definitely more of the latter, No way would it be a SRC specific boat, It would be a compromise boat between family stuff (having a lounger up front in the bow is what The Current Mrs. GOTY would like) while hopefully also allowing nice SRC and maybe even downrigger fishing. Hence why I was curious about how big is too big for practical SRC use. I'm starting to search a bit now but most likely still a few years out from buying anything unless the absolute perfect used boat falls in my lap. Knowing the top end of my length/size range will just help me set the parameters around the search.

#20 ·
Another consideration is weight. It’s hard to manuver a heavy boat like a big Grady White. Not great when you are close in and trying to avoid oyster beds, but awesome when you are racing to the next spot in a bit of a chop. There is no perfect boat for everything, it’s all compromise. The “biggest boat that fits in your garage” rule is a good starting point!

#26 ·
I did a lot or research over the last couple of years in preparation for buying my first boat. I ended up buying a 17 footer for a couple reasons I wanted something I could fish the sound in (salmon, SRC and whatever else it opens up for me). I live on a sloped lot and already have a travel trailer so space was a limiting factor for me as well unless I wanted to pay to store it. I also wanted something I could comfortable fish somewhat shallow in. I wanted to be able to use smaller launches potentially. I also wanted something I could potentially launch solo. Finally, I wanted my wife to be comfortable in it all day as well be comfortable piloting it (while I fish :)). It will limit the weather and water I can fish but to me a 17 foot fiberglass boat was the sweet spot based on my research and what I wanted to do with it. I considered 19 for a bit but decided it still would not give me safe access to much additional water and could limit me on stuff I would want to fish. In the end. If I want to go out in big water, I’ll pay a pro to take me. Who knows, someday maybe I’ll step up to something bigger. The North Pacific is no joke though and as someone who did not have boats growing up and has limited experience, I’m not sure even if I bought something bigger it would be smart for me to venture out in that water at this point. Maybe some day.

#28 ·
I just picked up a 15ft Tiderunner CC on Craigslist after browsing around for a while. It will be good for 1-2 people fly fishing at a time, but I could definitely see the advantage of an extra couple feet to be able to make room for another person. One pro of this particular boat is it has a nice deep v and handles rougher water like a champ for a small boat, but is still nice and light and doesn't draft too much in shallower water. For me at least, being able to launch and retrieve solo was my biggest selling point.

#30 ·
I don't think tiller is the way to go for SRC or near shore salmon. IMO a standing console (side or center) is ideal for navigating and looking for fish while doing this fishing. Especially if you're operating solo and don't have someone in the bow scoping things out. In 16'+ boats I don't find a console to really be in the way while fishing.

#33 ·
I have a 20' tiller. I stand and drive it. You can mooch three but fly fish two at the same time.
You can do the same on a 17' console boat and a 20' CC would be awesome for that. I've spent lots of time on that format fly fishing two plus boat operator. And I still think nothing beats a console with a higher POV out on the water. Tiller does free up some deck space and there's less to think about when casting, but adjusting to a CC is not really a big deal.

#32 ·
I have a 17' Triumph center console. Roto-molded plastic (like a kayak). Great for 1-2 people, can handle 3 for family cruising or gear. Front casting deck has a cushion for lounging on family days. Seat back can be flipped to make a lean bar for standing. If the water is too rough for this boat I likely don't want to be out in it anyway. (BTW, this is the same model Nick Clayton uses to guide out of)
Water Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

#36 ·
I like a tiller for more than deck space but that is one of the big benefits. I don't think my boat is in the running anyhow as it is lacking cushy bowrider aspect.
View attachment 242231
No wonder you have to stand while driving the boat, you have no seats... :) I like the dance floor. You wear hearing protection driving that thing???

I appreciate mtskibum's point a view, standing at a CC does give you a better view of the water. I think another consideration to a Center Console is weight distribution. When running you're weight will be more in the center of the boat. It's a little easier getting up on a plane, and you're not driving blind from throttling up to the point the bow settles down in the water after you get up to speed.

#38 ·
Does or has anyone run a Clackacraft 17' Power Drifter in Puget Sound? Just curious. I only fished the salt a few times with a friend around Fox Island. I spotted my Bayrunner at Sequim Marina in '88 and fell in love with it. I saw a Klamath 16 Explorer at a Portland area dealer and if I thought I would live and fish another 20 years I probably would have a new boat!

#42 ·
I saw one of the Power Drifter's on a big river. What a great boat for big rivers and being able to get upstream.

I don't see why this wouldn't work for the Sound or Canal - downside might be wind and the kite effect on the gunnels. I like the readily available oars and on one stretch of Hood Canal that almost always seems to hold fish when the tide is running, the oars would keep the boat in fish water a lot longer than the way we fish (three guys in a 14 foot boat). Of course, this also means one person isn't fishing.

#39 ·
SF-
I have the first lund (Alaskan 16 foot) shown in your earlier post. I coupled it with a bow mount electric (80# riptide) with a foot pad. Have had it since 2004 and other than re-powering have not seen a need modified it. Extremely pleased with its performance and tow it with my Ford Ranger.

Certainly works for cutts and a variety of other fishing options with no problems beaching if needed.

Curt

#40 ·
we had the smokercraft version of that boat, I believe it was the Lodge SS in the early 2000's and it was a great boat. Even took it to sekiu. Before I could drive that was the only boat my dad ever let me take solo and I loved that boat. The only boat I loved more was our 16' Arima Sea Sprinter. But it was terrible for fly fishing. But that boat fought above its weight class for downrigger fishing the sound and we had several larger boats throughout the years but the Arima was the king.

#46 ·
Sounds like my little 15' Alumacraft. I picked it up for lakes and searun cutthroat days in protected waters. It's pretty seaworthy and has a tunnel hull designed for a prop. I repowered, sold the 15hp for a new 25hp Yamaha.

Keeping the deck clear and added a LeeLock anchor puller so I can deploy from the tiller seat.

Attachments

#44 ·
Rob and Nick run the center console Triumphs. I have a 17' tiller steer which I really like for tossin' flies, not so much for gear fishing or taking more than one or two family members along. Triumphs are soft riding boats that are easily repaired if damaged.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.