June 6, 1944

John Dude

Learned skills from George Dickel
Seattle Times today has a reprint of one of my favorite Peanuts strips. Snoopy wading ashore at Omaha

Albula

swollen member
When my brothers offered to take my Dad back to Normandy for the 50th anniversary of the landing on Omaha Beach he quickly but graciously declined and told us the one place he had ever wanted to see again was the foxhole that he and some of his men had lived in for five days and he knew he would never be able to find where it was. That was the only time we ever heard him speak of the war or his time in Europe or North Africa.

Albula

swollen member
Most were just “kids” facing a well fortified shore. What they accomplished is amazing and humbling. Part of The greatest generation for sure.

Never forget.
They truly were just kids. My Dad was in ROTC in college because he needed the little scholarship money he got from it and was commissioned as a second lieutenant upon graduation. He landed at Normandy as a 21 year old captain commanding an artillery company his age or younger. I remember a few times one of us asking about what he had seen. My mom would look over quickly, stare us in the eye and just shake her head.

gt

by june of 1944, my dad had been flying combat missions in the S Pacific and China sea for over 3 years. i have photos of the planes he manged to bring back, shot to pieces. much is made over D day but not much is ever written or exposed about the carnage in the S Pacific. part of that is just how terrible the war with Japan was playing out. did you know that 8-9% of the military captured by the Germans did not make it. the military captured by the Japenese, 35-40% never made it. and as i mentioned at some point, the single island invasion of Iwo Jima cost more lives than on all the beaches of Normandy. and consider there were hundreds of islands that had to be captured. you won't read much about this but it all happened. malaria, yellow fever and terrible camp conditions faced all of those who were in the S Pacific. my dad, NEVER talked about any of this. killing people was not a topic of discussion.

Rob Allen

by june of 1944, my dad had been flying combat missions in the S Pacific and China sea for over 3 years. i have photos of the planes he manged to bring back, shot to pieces. much is made over D day but not much is ever written or exposed about the carnage in the S Pacific. part of that is just how terrible the war with Japan was playing out. did you know that 8-9% of the military captured by the Germans did not make it. the military captured by the Japenese, 35-40% never made it. and as i mentioned at some point, the single island invasion of Iwo Jima cost more lives than on all the beaches of Normandy. and consider there were hundreds of islands that had to be captured. you won't read much about this but it all happened. malaria, yellow fever and terrible camp conditions faced all of those who were in the S Pacific. my dad, NEVER talked about any of this. killing people was not a topic of discussion.

I am currently reading incredibly victory by Walter Lord. It's about the battle of Midway. Those poor guys flying thr TBD Devastators. Literally whole squadrons easily shot down by aaa and zeros.
Then the guys in the dauntlesses taking off knowing they didn't have the gas to make it there and back.
Heroes one and all. Your dad included.

kmudgn

If you are interested in the war in the Pacific, read Helmet for my Pillow by Robert Leckie. Excellent, true story of a USMC recruit from Basic Training to island fighting

Reactions: smc

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts