WA July 25 - August 1, 2020

South River

My wife family is from Anacortes. We visit her family each year (since we got married in 2012). I am an avid fly fisher, and can take you anywhere you want to go in Virginia, but I am a 'fish out of water' in Washington. Last year, I fished on one of the very early days of the coastal salmon run. This year, I would like to avail myself of a mountain stream fishing experience, similar to what I'm more accustomed to on my own home waters. Given my home-base for the stay is Anacortes, would anyone care to a recommend guide service or services that could hook an angler up? Much obliged. - Jay Black, Mathews, Virginia

Kfish

WFF Supporter
Pass Lake is one option for you if stillwater interest you. Fly fishing only no motors.

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
WFF Supporter
There are squiggly blue lines off of highway 2 that can be fun to explore. A bit south of Anacortes. Worth the trip.

South River

Thanks for the info. Yes, we're literally right down the road from Pass Lake, but if you don't have a float tube - and I don't, and I think the airlines discourage them as carry-on's - there's not much fishing from the bank, so it's somewhat limiting. But thank you for the idea.

South River

Pass Lake is one option for you if stillwater interest you. Fly fishing only no motors.
Thanks for the info. Yes, we're literally right down the road from Pass Lake, but if you don't have a float tube - and I don't, and I think the airlines discourage them as carry-on's - there's not much fishing from the bank, so it's somewhat limiting. But thank you for the idea.

RustyTKO

What are you looking for specifically? Trying to stay close by? Anacortes has decent lakes as well as the island, not to mention the various beaches.

South River

What are you looking for specifically? Trying to stay close by? Anacortes has decent lakes as well as the island, not to mention the various beaches.
When you're not from the area, you worry about boundaries, best holes, etc. Pass Lake is close by, but alas, no fishing tube and very limited fishing from the perimeter. Love running water. Tried salt last year. Would love to try fresh trout water.

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
My wife family is from Anacortes. We visit her family each year (since we got married in 2012). I am an avid fly fisher, and can take you anywhere you want to go in Virginia, but I am a 'fish out of water' in Washington. Last year, I fished on one of the very early days of the coastal salmon run. This year, I would like to avail myself of a mountain stream fishing experience, similar to what I'm more accustomed to on my own home waters. Given my home-base for the stay is Anacortes, would anyone care to a recommend guide service or services that could hook an angler up? Much obliged. - Jay Black, Mathews, Virginia
You need to look up Bob Triggs and have him take you out for a day or two after coastal cutthroat. www.searuns.com

South River

Give Dickson Flyfishing a call. They're almost an hour south of Anacortes, but they can probably give you some info. I've never used them or know anything about them, I just found them with a Google Map search.
Thanks. I fished with them last year and had a great day on the water! Just looking around to see if anything else comes up that also looks interesting. Thanks again!

c-dawg

WFF Supporter
Just looking around to see if anything else comes up that also looks interesting.
Another option, then, if you're looking for fresh water and streams, is to go east and check with the Evening Hatch or Worley Bugger in Ellensburg about fishing the Yakima and surrounding area. There are some nice mountain streams out that way, too. It's a bit of a drive from Anacortes, but worth it, I believe.

But if you choose the salt again, Bob Triggs is the way to go. Nick Clayton will be out on the coast skippering an offshore charter boat during that time.

East Coaster

Having been in a similar situation (visiting from the east coast, not much opportunity to spend time exploring while out in Washington), I was steered into trying for searun cutthroat trout (SRCs) in Puget Sound. It's such a unique fishery, that for me, the choice was easy, even though like you, I would have been more comfortable and confident in fishing small mountain streams for trout. The way I looked at it, it gave me the chance to try something I could do in very few other places.

The suggestions for a guide are good if you can swing it. While catching fish is never a sure thing, a guide will most likely be able to put you on fish (especially at that time of the year), and will dramatically shorten the learning curve. But be warned - it's addictive. While the appeal is that it's a unique fishery, the downside is you're gonna wanna do it again, and you'll need to get back out there to do it! :)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts