WTB Looking for a fly line winder

Dawg

I would like to buy a fly line winder for personal use, one that is similar to the type used in fly shops. Does anyone have one for sale or any ideas on where I might be able to find one? Thanks.

Jake

WFF Supporter
They’re several hundred dollars. I looked into it at one point and found them (alltackle.com/amp/cyclone_line_winder.htm) but ended up buying a 1/4” bolt, two 1/4” nuts, two rubber washers, and using a drill and an old line spool. Almost as fast, far cheaper, and works with all lines and backing I’ve tried.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
They’re several hundred dollars. I looked into it at one point and found them (alltackle.com/amp/cyclone_line_winder.htm) but ended up buying a 1/4” bolt, two 1/4” nuts, two rubber washers, and using a drill and an old line spool. Almost as fast, far cheaper, and works with all lines and backing I’ve tried.
Does the bolt mess up the bearing surfaces inside the fly reel spool?

Dawg

Jake, thanks for your reply much appreciated. I did not look on all tackle yet but will check them out.

Jake

WFF Supporter
Does the bolt mess up the bearing surfaces inside the fly reel spool?
Oh, I see. For winding line ONTO a reel I just crank it by hand. I use the drill for taking it off and putting on backing.

JohnB

Look for a RIO Cranky Kit. They are about 10 bucks on line. No motor, but if you have a wrist they work fine
These are awesome! I have a rotation of lines for my 8 weight I swap through over the course of a year steelhead>warmwater>ocean salmon>steelhead. I wouldn't want to use it monthly but its awesome for a project every season or two.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts