Fly Swap?

long_rod_silvers

Keep seeing the stuck thread about fly swaps at the top of the fly tying forum. Haven't seen one go recently. Anybody interested in getting a swap going? Open to suggestions. SRC patterns? Streamers? Yakima patterns? Bass? Graboid rip offs?

Let me know if anyone is interested.

long_rod_silvers

i might be in if you can tell me what a graboid is???

PhilR

i might be in if you can tell me what a graboid is???
Named after creatures inhabiting the Southwestern deserts

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
There used to be a lot of swaps a few years back. I participated in several; hosted two. It's an interesting way to get a look at everyone else's techniques or takes on certain flies. Somehow they just died off. The biggest part is on the guy that hosts to receive, sort, and mail the flies back to the others. One of the most fun ones was held at a restaurant (face to face). I got to meet and greet a bunch of guys who I had met over the forum waves. We had dinner and a beer and swapped & told stories. Somehow those went away also. Probably wouldn't work these days because of the circumstances.

I also used to host the "Pinkfest" at my family place in Dash Point. We met, had a BBQ, swapped, talked, and fished for the pink salmon during the years that the runs were really big. I haven't done that in a few years either. I might think about that again next year providing we get healthy by then.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
Usually the way it has worked in the past is when you send your flies in a box, you also send a self addressed stamped postage container along with it. That way the host merely splits up the flies and puts them in the container be it a box or envelope, and drops it in the mail. It works pretty well as long as everyone gets the flies to the host on time and includes the return pre-stamped container so no one has to pay for extra postage. When I did the swaps, I set up the containers on my dining room table and dealt the flies out just like cards. Then I sealed them up and took them to the post office.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts