Unknown SE WA River Caddis help, Dicosmoecus

MGTom

WFF Supporter
We came across these on the top portions of submerged rocks in the Dayton area on the Touchet this morning. This one is small at 3/4", some were up to 1 3/4" I think. Had 6? dark legs to hold on to rocks in the semi-swift water. They were everywhere. The lower sides and undersides of the rocks had the brown cone type, 1/2" with green worms, which I think are the Brachycentridae, (Grannom), but I couldn't ID these big guys. Should have taken one apart but at least I know what to imitate outside. Thx, just always curious about this stuff. Gold ribbed hares ear did fine, even though I didn't have any big enough. Some were 6 3xl long I bet.
20200608_060324.jpg

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Limnephiladae?

I like that. Thx. I skipped that 'cause my tab says identified spring lake before. But the link and book description, under closer inspection, would lead me that way. Especially the size. I swear many were more than the 1.25" long listed in the book. Maybe hatch time soon?

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Hmmm, any reason they wouldn't be Dicosmoecus, a.k.a October Caddis?
Hmm. Could be? It's not in western hatchs but I see on the net it's listed with the above reference type also. I like this part of the game. I've been crawling around a lot for 3 years and I see new stuff all the time. Either way should be available all summer, I'll just see when the adults come off I guess.

Mark Melton

About 50 years ago, on the Washougal I used to shuck them from their cases and use them as live bait. Worked great, if it was an area fish were in I nearly always got a bite.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Middle of august and the fish are still feeding on them. Stomach contents, I broke the live one open.
20200813_104855.jpg

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Getting to hatching out real soon. Look for pupal husks at the waters edge.
They are all over. the last pic in my jinxed thread shows them. I still haven't seen the adults, and stimulators don't draw much attention, only nymphs.
EDIT
Opp. wrong pic, those are the stone flies, my bad.
Still waiting on the caddis.

Last edited:

tkww

Hmmm, I think we're still 5-6 weeks off here before they'll start showing, and even then it's closer to 7-8 for the prime time.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts