Ahhhh... What a Boner!

SARG950

Spent my first day in the Kennewick area on a pond mentioned by a fellow warm-water rod. First thing I noticed were the carp rolling on the flats in front of the launch. I planned on giving them some attention but first, the bass. I started getting strikes as soon as I left the ramp and had three in my grasp before it went dead for me. I was probably a bit late starting out this morning. Didn't sniff another largie the rest of the morning so I tied on a yellow BH Woolybugger, parked myself in the middle of the flats and waited for the carp to come around. Over the next few hours, I had four hookups and two to my bellyboat. Wished I had brought my pontoon along but had the bride's car on the trip so everything rode inside. However, had a great time targeting these things and will be back at it tomorrow morning...

Attachments

• 20200611_120816.jpg
    20200611_120816.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 108
  • 20200611_120659.jpg
    20200611_120659.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 20200611_103036.jpg
    20200611_103036.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 96

SARG950

For my last Kennewick outing, I made the gross mistake of fishing the Columbia Park area. What a cesspool... trash everywhere, weeds and debris made fishing almost impossible. Homeless encampmnents scattered along the west shoreline. Was an easy decision to never return to this area. Not much of a "fishing report" but then not much of a desirable area to fish.

SARG950

After my day on the pond, I actually began to feel like I was getting the hang of it. Parked myself out on the fĺats and could touch the bottom with my fins so no anchoring. Had my casting line sitting on my apron ready to fire. The carp would eventually come around, so I was looking for disturbances in the water surface. Shot my fly ahead of the wake and dragged it into what I figured was the fish's path. The line would begin to move so I slowly lifted the rod tip; if I felt a hookup, then a few rod sets and the fight was on. I did learn to raise my fins so I could drag myself towards the fish and retrieve line quicker.

SARG950

So I'm curious... what water did you entice this one? It looks so different than what I've seen everywhere else.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
So I'm curious... what water did you entice this one? It looks so different than what I've seen everywhere else.
Me too. That looks like a Buffalo fish to me. Body/head shape & scales look different & no barbels. Bet it gave you a good tussle whatever it is!

SARG950

Jim, I think you hit it right on the head... never seen one since I've been fishing. I guess they hang out with regular carp?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts