Car break ins? Lenice/Nunnally?

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
A ring video doorbell will talk to your phone. A friend put one on the door of his trailer.
I have time this summer, and a camera, I'd be up for a stakeout, spend a day for the good of the order.

Buzzy

A ring video doorbell will talk to your phone. A friend put one on the door of his trailer.
I have time this summer, and a camera, I'd be up for a stakeout, spend a day for the good of the order.
I'll pass on the stake out and laying in the backseat waiting (going to be summer soon). Will the ring thing work in a 1-bar cell service? ;-) Interesting concept though.

Old406Kid

I'll pass on the stake out and laying in the backseat waiting (going to be summer soon). Will the ring thing work in a 1-bar cell service? ;-) Interesting concept though.

It sounds great in theory but what's the next step if you catch someone in the act?
Sadly, with the current negativity towards enforcement, criminals will be even more emboldened and enforcement will be less responsive.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Impossible, in fact.

Harsh, but point taken. I guess I'm more pragmatic than compassionate. I'm also solution oriented. This slightly liberal guy doesn't think bleeding heart liberalism has any effective solutions for vehicle and home B&E. So I'm left thinking that only strong disincentives, ones that preclude recidivism, are the only likely solution.

Our revolving door justice system currently enables and practically encourages property crime due to the lack of police response and negative consequences. We have a system where property crime does pay. Did you know that in WA you have to steal 7 cars before you actually do real jail time? I read that a few years ago. So what disincentive is there?

The incentive for B&E isn't the usual suspects of poverty, lack of education, or disfunctional family. Sometimes it's drug use and sometimes it's just pure opportunity - because I can, and get a way with it. If lethal responses were legally permissible, I think in short order a very significant reduction in property crime would ensue.

Maybe you don't think property crime is a problem in need of a solution, or maybe you have an alternative solution in mind. I'm open minded to effective alternatives.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
<snip>

Our revolving door justice system currently enables and practically encourages property crime due to the lack of police response and negative consequences. We have a system where property crime does pay. Did you know that in WA you have to steal 7 cars before you actually do real jail time? I read that a few years ago. So what disincentive is there?

<snip>

I was in the post office waiting in line and a LE officer was behind me. We started talking and the stolen car subject came up. He said it took at least 10 cars due to so many in jail. It took him longer to fill out the paperwork than the perp spent at the precinct. So he asked why even arrest them?

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
It sounds great in theory but what's the next step if you catch someone in the act?
Sadly, with the current negativity towards enforcement, criminals will be even more emboldened and enforcement will be less responsive.
We had some kids steal bike a couple years ago. Sent the ring video to the police and the bikes came home a couple days later. I would never take anything into my own hands, a picture and a license plate will do, then pass it on. Once those kids were caught our neighborhood has been good, although everybody had a ring now.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
I was in the post office waiting in line and a LE officer was behind me. We started talking and the stolen car subject came up. He said it took at least 10 cars due to so many in jail. It took him longer to fill out the paperwork than the perp spent at the precinct. So he asked why even arrest them?
At which point I would have asked, "What kind of car do you have?" :)

Old406Kid

We had some kids steal bike a couple years ago. Sent the ring video to the police and the bikes came home a couple days later. I would never take anything into my own hands, a picture and a license plate will do, then pass it on. Once those kids were caught our neighborhood has been good, although everybody had a ring now.

Sadly, a remote spot such as Lenice and the potential for some unsavory characters could quickly turn ugly.
Hope the kids that took the bike learned a life lesson and are better for it going forward.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Harsh, but point taken. I guess I'm more pragmatic than compassionate. I'm also solution oriented. This slightly liberal guy doesn't think bleeding heart liberalism has any effective solutions for vehicle and home B&E. So I'm left thinking that only strong disincentives, ones that preclude recidivism, are the only likely solution.

The incentive for B&E isn't the usual suspects of poverty, lack of education, or disfunctional family. Sometimes it's drug use and sometimes it's just pure opportunity - because I can, and get a way with it. If lethal responses were legally permissible, I think in short order a very significant reduction in property crime would ensue.

Maybe you don't think property crime is a problem in need of a solution, or maybe you have an alternative solution in mind. I'm open minded to effective alternatives.
First ya ruin the fisheries in the state, now yet goin' after property crime and gonna ruin that here too.
;)
Could you take on something meaningful, like the GOP ?

cdnred

I am always relieved when there are multiple cars in the Lenice lot.
That only makes it a bigger candy store for the thieves. It'll soon come where we'll need to bring someone else along just to watch the cars. Hire a student for a few bucks to watch em, sure that might work and a lot cheaper then having to replace expensive fishing gear or broken windows. That or look into a shuttle service..

Last edited:

cdnred

Best to not approach, just get the evidence and pass it on. Your life and safety is worth a lot more..

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts