NFR--Columbia Autonomous Zone Citizenship Test

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Ten simple questions to determine if you came by the 509 area code on your phone honestly....all presented as a Jeopardy quiz.

1) What is the biggest city (population) in the largest county (area) in both Washington state and the CAZ?

2) This Federal project was called "the greatest waste of Federal dollars in history".

3) There are four COUNTY governments that provide internet, cable TV, and phone service to their residents within the CAZ. Name them.

4). The city of Seattle is on record favoring removal of dams in eastern Washington, except for their dam! Which county in the CAZ does the city of Seattle have a major dam??

5) This high school in the CAZ has a nuclear bomb explosion as their mascot. Where is the school and what is the mascots name??

6) One of the most popular place names in the CAZ is Moses. Who was Moses and was he a Jew??

7) CAZ counties own 7 dams on the Columbia River system. What percentage of the funding for those dams came from the state of Washington and the Federal government (to the nearest 10%)?

8) After those tourists from the east coast came through eastern Washington in the early 1800's, this Canadian came through and actually set up forts and trading posts throughout the CAZ. His efforts, barely fell short, otherwise we would be ending all our sentences with Eh. Who is he??

9) This county in the CAZ is 64 percent minority. What is the county??

10) When I-90 was being financed the Washington state government wanted to stop funding the highway at this city within the CAZ?? The Federal government said that wasn't how interstates were suppose to work. Name the city that I-90 would have been terminated, if the Legislature had its way.

Bonus Question....Final Jeopardy

Why is March 3, 1887 viewed as the most tragic day in the history of the CAZ???

Guy Gregory

Well, OK, I'll bite. I'm assuming the CAZ is the same thing as the State of Liberty proposal pushed by my current State Legislative Rep. Matt Shea...that is, Washington East of the Cascade divide. Roughly 30% of the Washington Electorate,. We still are "one person, one vote", not "one acre, one vote" so, well, that's one of the reasons he's wrong. But, here you are.

1. Yakima.

2. It's hard to choose, but the Columbia Basin Project outpaces Hanford, just by a few billion.

3. Grant, Douglas, Chelan and Okanogan Public Utility Districts, though they are not in fact county governments. See below.

4. Pend Oreille County, unless you include Skagit County in your Zone.

5. Richland Bombers. Easy. Second best name in the northwest, after the Orofino Maniacs in Idaho.

6. Not all that popular as a place name. He was "the most important prophet in Judaism". Was he a Jew? I suppose that depends on who you ask. As for me, "Jesus Saves, Moses Invests."

7. No Counties own dams on the Columbia mainstem. Grant County Public Utility District owns Priest Rapids and Wanapum, Chelan County PUD owns Rock Island (the first dam on the Coumbia) and Rocky Reach, and Douglas County PUD owns Wells. Wanna get in a fight with an old white guy? Tell a PUD commissioner he's a County Government.

8. I've no idea to whom you are referring. Tourism west of the Continental Divide was not particularly widespread in the early 1800's. Early folks in Eastern Washington might look to David Thompson's 1810's visits and establishments of various posts (as well as reaching Astoria) or the exploits of his voyageur companion Jocko Findlay (for whom there are many family, place, and river names).

9. I'll guess Yakima within the meaning of your question, but having spent some time in many small towns and Catholic churches in eastern Washington, you oughta be careful who you call "minority".

10. The legislature and the Spokane folks have always had a problem thus I'll guess Ellensburg. Most of Western WA and folks on this board figure Washington ends at a N-S line extending from Oroville to Yakima, and I really don't mind, personally.

11. Well, by your earlier post, I guess you're referring to the day north Idaho and Eastern Washington didn't become their own state. I've never heard anyone say it was the most tragic day, certianly not in North Idaho. I believe in the current environment we've yet to see that day, even after the Wobblies and riots in North Idaho and Eastern Washington; the intentional Iodine releases by the AEC at Hanford affecting countless women of my and my mothers' age during their child bearing years, the many, many indignities paced upon the tribes large and small in the Columbia Basin to create what is now a chain of lakes, the Coeur d'Alene lead disaster. Among other indignities suffered by resource colonies.

So, no, not in 63 years have I heard that day referred to as the most tragic day affecting the region. Not even close. By anyone.

But as a lifelong resident, I'll tell you that we need Puget Sound, and they need us. And that without each other we are less. Even when we forget. We forget that most of the Skagit Dams are Seattle City Light projects. We forget that without ports in Washington we can't ship shit. let alone wheat and aluminum. We forget they support our schools, and our roads, and all kinds of other stuff they don't even know about with their money, from irrigation projects they don't even like to roads between St. John and Winona, towns they can't find on a map. They support our cops, our food banks, and all the other stuff we need out here being rugged individualists.

They need us to have a place, a place in the West that reminds them there are still places where you gotta bring your own water. And if you can get from Forks to Wahkiakum, or know why you ought to, you've spent too much time on the Coast.

For me, it's a fair trade. Except there's no steelhead here.

Mods, delete my rant if you must. I'm getting tired of this provincial bull.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Only one problem only King county can be autonomous. The rest of the state is just their subjects..

About as far from the truth as you can get when it comes to tax revenue and how it is distributed to other counties in the state....
The subjects as you call them do a fine job sucking off the tit that is King Co, but let’s not let facts get in the way.
I’m glad other parts of the state get to enjoy the bounty of nice things as well. We are all in this together.
SF

Last edited:

Charles Sullivan

About as far from the truth as you can get when it comes to tax revenue and how it is distributed to other counties in the state....
The subjects as you call them do a fine job suck off the tit that is King Co, but let’s not let facts get in the way.
I’m glad other parts of the state get to enjoy the bounty of nice things as well. We are all in this together.
SF
We are all in this together, as a state and a country. Very fucking true. It's important to remind ourselves of that every so often.

Go Sox,
cds

Rob Allen

The subjects as you call them do a fine job suck off the tit that is King Co, but let’s not let facts get in the way.
SF

King county took all the jobs away from rural Washington.. it was timber company dollars that educated your parents not anymore..

The people of Portland call the Columbia Gorge THEIR playground. At least that's what they called it during the fire a few years ago, " our playground is burning"

Charles Sullivan

Charles, we are in it together, but we are not together...sadly. No one is looking for common ground or any type of unity except in divisive little clusters.
I struggle to remember that we are in it together. I'm as guilty of it as anyone.

Change is messy and hard. I think that is part of the issue. Also, we don't live together. This thread is a great example.

go sox,
cds

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts