NFR--Columbia Autonomous Zone Citizenship Test

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Well, OK, I'll bite. I'm assuming the CAZ is the same thing as the State of Liberty proposal pushed by my current State Legislative Rep. Matt Shea...that is, Washington East of the Cascade divide. Roughly 30% of the Washington Electorate,. We still are "one person, one vote", not "one acre, one vote" so, well, that's one of the reasons he's wrong. But, here you are.

II don't care at all for Matt Shea.

But, I also thought one man one vote was a unconstitutional decision by a court that should have known better. Oh well, most of them never had to take a citizenship test on constitutional questions.

1. Yakima.

Wrong.

2. It's hard to choose, but the Columbia Basin Project outpaces Hanford, just by a few billion.

Wrong.

3. Grant, Douglas, Chelan and Okanogan Public Utility Districts, though they are not in fact county governments. See below.

3/4's Correct. Ok....PUD's are county level governments.

4. Pend Oreille County, unless you include Skagit County in your Zone.

Correct.

5. Richland Bombers. Easy. Second best name in the northwest, after the Orofino Maniacs in Idaho.

Correct.

6. Not all that popular as a place name. He was "the most important prophet in Judaism". Was he a Jew? I suppose that depends on who you ask. As for me, "Jesus Saves, Moses Invests."

Wrong. He was not a Jew. Big Hint.....there is a statue of Moses in East Wenatchee. One cold and bitter winter, some good samaritian went out and put a substantial overcoat on the statue.

7. No Counties own dams on the Columbia mainstem. Grant County Public Utility District owns Priest Rapids and Wanapum, Chelan County PUD owns Rock Island (the first dam on the Coumbia) and Rocky Reach, and Douglas County PUD owns Wells. Wanna get in a fight with an old white guy? Tell a PUD commissioner he's a County Government.

3/4 credit. Missed two dams. Ok...PUD's are county level government. I don't get into fights with white guy PUD commissioner....I pick on the old white lady commissioner.

8. I've no idea to whom you are referring. Tourism west of the Continental Divide was not particularly widespread in the early 1800's. Early folks in Eastern Washington might look to David Thompson's 1810's visits and establishments of various posts (as well as reaching Astoria) or the exploits of his voyageur companion Jocko Findlay (for whom there are many family, place, and river names).

Correct. I am impressed. How did you forget those two eastern tourists??? Lewis and Clark??

9. I'll guess Yakima within the meaning of your question, but having spent some time in many small towns and Catholic churches in eastern Washington, you oughta be careful who you call "minority".

Wrong. Office of Financial Management (state of Washington) term...not mine.

10. The legislature and the Spokane folks have always had a problem thus I'll guess Ellensburg. Most of Western WA and folks on this board figure Washington ends at a N-S line extending from Oroville to Yakima, and I really don't mind, personally.

Wrong.

11. Well, by your earlier post, I guess you're referring to the day north Idaho and Eastern Washington didn't become their own state. I've never heard anyone say it was the most tragic day, certianly not in North Idaho. I believe in the current environment we've yet to see that day, even after the Wobblies and riots in North Idaho and Eastern Washington; the intentional Iodine releases by the AEC at Hanford affecting countless women of my and my mothers' age during their child bearing years, the many, many indignities paced upon the tribes large and small in the Columbia Basin to create what is now a chain of lakes, the Coeur d'Alene lead disaster. Among other indignities suffered by resource colonies.

So, no, not in 63 years have I heard that day referred to as the most tragic day affecting the region. Not even close. By anyone.

Correct. But the bill establishing a new territory to included eastern Washington, North Idaho, and western Montana was actually done at the behest of North Idaho.

But as a lifelong resident, I'll tell you that we need Puget Sound, and they need us. And that without each other we are less. Even when we forget. We forget that most of the Skagit Dams are Seattle City Light projects. We forget that without ports in Washington we can't ship shit. let alone wheat and aluminum. We forget they support our schools, and our roads, and all kinds of other stuff they don't even know about with their money, from irrigation projects they don't even like to roads between St. John and Winona, towns they can't find on a map. They support our cops, our food banks, and all the other stuff we need out here being rugged individualists. .......

5.5 correct. I am impressed. Those were tough questions. The only reason I got 100% was that I got to pick the questions!!! I do have a friend, that probably would get 100% I might have to give it to him.

Well, I post a "provincial" test to provide some balance to the Cascadia test and all hell breaks loose.

Good thing I went fishing after posting the "test".

Elliott5400

King county is the shithole.
Folks he is telling somewhat a truth here.

But like any other area, it has really nice spots, really nice people with also really dumpy spots and pond scum quality humans.

But if you run a business there is $ to be made here..probably much more than out east of state.

longputt

I travel quite a bit for the contract I have...everywhere I go...I have to explain that I am not from the west side...then I have to explain the difference. I found out the easiest way to explain: the west side voted 70:30 for marijuana and my area voted 70:30 against! Normally everyone says...it's just like our state!

It got me to wondering if we could get a different license plates for east and west side...that way when I go to MT and ID with an E WA plate I won't get so much crap!

Rob Allen

I travel quite a bit for the contract I have...everywhere I go...I have to explain that I am not from the west side...then I have to explain the difference. I found out the easiest way to explain: the west side voted 70:30 for marijuana and my area voted 70:30 against! Normally everyone says...it's just like our state!

It got me to wondering if we could get a different license plates for east and west side...that way when I go to MT and ID with an E WA plate I won't get so much crap!

People in Montana give other Montanans crap because their license plates are coded by location.

longputt

WA used to do that but you needed a decoder ring to figure it out...I'm thinking of "Not from Seattle" on my plate!

BTW, in my days WA was coded for cars only...trucks were different..

Last edited:

Vladimir Steblina

I hear you.

I am leaving soon for a two month trip to Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. Those Washington plates, well they are worse than California plates in those states.

You can "deface" the Washington state license plate.

I was going to make a license plate holder frame that said EASTERN in the same font size and color as the Washington on the plate.

I would paint out out the image of Mt. Adams. Too many people think it is Mt. Rainier. If I was artistic I would paint a image of a sagebrush bush and the sun.

I would paint out the Evergreen state and replace it with "Everbrown State". On the license plate holder I would add the words "Sun and Sage State".

Be careful when "defacing" the Washington license plate. The Supreme Court of the United States has specific rules on how you can do it.

Somebody in New Hampshire did not like the "Live Free or Die" on their plate. He found it pretty offensive, but it is not as bad as the Evergreen State, but I digress.

Here is the background info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooley_v._Maynard

Anyway you might want to carry of the Supreme Court decision instead of the Wikipedia article to show the cop when they pull you over.

Other things you can do.....In the early 1990's I had this bumper sticker on my truck.

DON"T 206 509.

Worked great with law enforcement. Never got a ticket, but lots of positive comments from them.

The other bumper sticker was:

Have a nice trip back to Seattle.

At that time the bumper sticker: Have a nice trip back to California was really popular in western Oregon and Washington. So people still remember it.

I would use that one. It would clearly identify you as NOT FROM SEATTLE. In the Rocky Mountain states that would be a real plus.

I would use this bumper sticker with the license plate holder I mentioned earlier.

I think that is what I am going to be doing when I leave in a couple weeks.

As a former Idahoian, I am tired of being mistaken for a Seattle so called progressive.

Last edited:

Vladimir Steblina

Its probably from the way you carry yourself, the clothes you wear, the vehicle you drive and the words you speak.

I still dress like a forester...well, these days I dress like a OLD FORESTER.

I drive a ONE-TON DIESEL TRUCK. It is longer than my RV.

The words I speak....as a immigrant to this country....that speech is gone. Half west coast and half New Jersey according to the word tests on the internet.

Oh, wait....I forgot dressing like a logger or forester is COOL these days in Seattle!!!

Last edited:

Rob Allen

I hear you.

I am leaving soon for a two month trip to Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. Those Washington plates, well they are worse than California plates in those states.

I was going to make a license plate holder frame that said EASTERN in the same font size and color as the Washington on the plate.

I would paint out out the image of Mt. Adams. Too many people think it is Mt. Rainier. If I was artistic I would paint a image of a sagebrush bush and the sun.

I would paint out the Evergreen state and replace it with "Everbrown State". On the license plate holder I would add the words "Sun and Sage State".

Be careful when "defacing" the Washington license plate. The Supreme Court of the United States has specific rules on how you can do it.

Somebody in New Hampshire did not like the "Live Free or Die" on their plate. He found it pretty offensive, but it is not as bad as the Evergreen State, but I digress.

Anyway you might want to carry of the Supreme Court decision instead of the Wikipedia article to show the cop when they pull you over.

Other things you can do.....In the early 1990's I had this bumper sticker on my truck.

DON"T 206 509.

Worked great with law enforcement. Never got a ticket, but lots of positive comments from them.

At that time the bumper sticker: Have a nice trip back to California was really popular in western Oregon and Washington. So people still remember it.

I would use that one. It would clearly identify you as NOT FROM SEATTLE. In the Rocky Mountain states that would be a real plus.

I would use this bumper sticker with the license plate holder I mentioned earlier.

As a former Idahoian, I am tired of being mistaken for a Seattle so called progressive.

Adams is much prettier and majestic thsn the austentatious Rainer. And it's home to bigfoot whereas Rainier is not. Adams, home to native Summer steelhead, the only true steelhead.

:)

B

bennysbuddy

I hear you.

DON"T 206 509.

you can pack up your shit & leave the state anytime

longputt

Last year we were in MT and had just hiked/fished a small stream in the morning and then decided to do the big Mo float in the evening, with the BBQ and a little fishing. It was our last night. So we stopped by a shop to arrange a shuttle. The kid running the shop and my son were talking and the shop kid asked the bad question..."Where have you been fishing?" Normally this would be followed by an outright lie but my son told him; I froze.

The shop kid said: "Wow! Normally you people don't..." and then he froze and followed sheepishly with: "I saw the WA plate and normally people from WA don't fish streams like XXXX. We call Rock Creek WA East, that's where you normally go."

To right his wrong he told us about another hike/fish stream and we already knew about it and I told him: "Never, ever tell that to another person from WA."

Lot's of laughs followed and a free shuttle.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Funny how people profess to loving the 509 so much, they have to winter in Arizona.

Kind of reminds me of a ex member who raved about everything Montana while railing against the 206 but couldn’t wait to see Montana in this rear view mirror the second the first snowflake hit the ground.
Speaking is snowflakes.....
SF

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts