Got a bigger one

Mems

KQ3ETHxl.jpg

Went out yesterday with my friend Alex on the "Tank" it is a 16 foot livingston, small boat but we catch plenty big fish on it.
BZxRZSHl.jpg

Hit a buoy and had an ahi strike, but it jumped off. Worked the buoy and got a half dozen mahi and some small tuna.
Heard the ahi were biting closer to home so trolled back in. We had a plan to work the afternoon bite.
Had another ahi strike at another buoy and it jumped off. We knew we were in fish so we kept working the area.
An hour later had a third strike and the hook stayed in the jaw and half an hour later boated this nice 170lb ahi.
xvGZhdBl.jpg

We put it on ice and cut it today. I know they say the tug is the drug, and most love the hit of a top water strike, but if you have ever leader-ed a big strong fish and then put a gaff into one, then hoisted it on board, then you know the adrenaline rush of ahi fever.
JssLKsKl.jpg

The fish had wonderful color and an nice oily shine, beautiful steaks.
jLzXwrUl.jpg

I made some macnut poke with avocado and macnut oil and crushed macnuts. Yum. Going out on thursday for another one. Hope you all have a great father's day.

SilverFly

KQ3ETHxl.jpg

Went out yesterday with my friend Alex on the "Tank" it is a 16 foot livingston, small boat but we catch plenty big fish on it.
BZxRZSHl.jpg

Hit a buoy and had an ahi strike, but it jumped off. Worked the buoy and got a half dozen mahi and some small tuna.
Heard the ahi were biting closer to home so trolled back in. We had a plan to work the afternoon bite.
Had another ahi strike at another buoy and it jumped off. We knew we were in fish so we kept working the area.
An hour later had a third strike and the hook stayed in the jaw and half an hour later boated this nice 170lb ahi.
xvGZhdBl.jpg

We put it on ice and cut it today. I know they say the tug is the drug, and most love the hit of a top water strike, but if you have ever leader-ed a big strong fish and then put a gaff into one, then hoisted it on board, then you know the adrenaline rush of ahi fever.
JssLKsKl.jpg

The fish had wonderful color and an nice oily shine, beautiful steaks.
jLzXwrUl.jpg

I made some macnut poke with avocado and macnut oil and crushed macnuts. Yum. Going out on thursday for another one. Hope you all have a great father's day.
Just for the sake of argument, say there wasn't a pandemic going on and I found cheap tickets to Hilo. What are the odds trolling this squid pattern on a 16wt might result in blowing a lumbar disc?

Attachments

• 20190611_233948.jpg
    20190611_233948.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 53

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Just for the sake of argument, say there wasn't a pandemic going on and I found cheap tickets to Hilo. What are the odds trolling this squid pattern on a 16wt might result in blowing a lumbar disc?
I like the way you think... Now to tie a cruising flying fish pattern. Offer to spend your two weeks of quarantine on the boat...
Steve

Mems

Guy, can you tie that fly to 200lb fluro leader? Might need to crimp it on. If you get an eat, and they have been eating squid early in the morning, then yes your lower back would be in jeopardy after a 2 hour slugfest. The school has been holding fish from 80 to 250lbs, So I would hope for a smaller version, but I know you would be after the big gorilla.
Just think we were in baja this time last summer.
kJpGGBql.jpg

SilverFly

Guy, can you tie that fly to 200lb fluro leader? Might need to crimp it on. If you get an eat, and they have been eating squid early in the morning, then yes your lower back would be in jeopardy after a 2 hour slugfest. The school has been holding fish from 80 to 250lbs, So I would hope for a smaller version, but I know you would be after the big gorilla.
Just think we were in baja this time last summer.
kJpGGBql.jpg
Based on the success that fly had last summer for albacore (outfished the entire troll spread both days) I was kicking the idea of tying some no nonsense troll-lure versions. And tied on tubes. So yeah, 200# fluoro and 10/0 billfish circles? ... no-problemo!

Mems

Tylenol, back brace, physical therapy and a numb toe for the rest of your life. But with a bad back you can get out a lot of heavy lifting in the future.
You really need to get a big tuna, miss you Guy.

SilverFly

Tylenol, back brace, physical therapy and a numb toe for the rest of your life. But with a bad back you can get out a lot of heavy lifting in the future.
You really need to get a big tuna, miss you Guy.
Yes I DO! Miss you too. I'm thinking I can talk the ball 'n' chain into a mini Hawaiian vacay when this is over. Too bad that rental we loved in Kapoho is under 30' of lava. :(

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts