PSA: fish mortality and river trash

Gyrfalcon21

I disagree about the whole net thing.

The health of our trout fisheries proves that standard catch and release, even with bare dry hands barbed hooks and fish flopping in the grass doesn't affect the fishery.

Practicing catch and release is plenty...

It's a blood sport some fish are going to die or get mangled no matter what we do and we don't need to be policing other people unless they are breaking the law.

I gotta say I expected a little more out of you.
You did? Not me

Rob Allen

I gotta say I expected a little more out of you.

I am just not into telling people how to fish without being asked.

For decades anglers have been catching and releasing wild trout with bare dry hands, knotted nylon nets, holding them for grip and grins and with barbed hooks and our populations have done just fine.
I'm sorry that's just the truth.

I am absolutely not into animal rights. Some fish are going to die that's all there is to it. Barbless is great, not touching the fish is great, keeping them wet is great.
But an angler fishing barbed hooks and doing a grip and grin is no less for doing so.

Mostly i reject the idea that some people fish more ethically than others, that whole concept is utter bs. If you're following the law and practicing catch and release you have nothing to be ashamed of..

If anyone thinks themselves better than others based on how they fish, they have a serious problem.

Bryce Levin

I land fish much quicker with a net, which means less stress. Are they necessary, no. Less fish end up in shallow water smacking on the rocks or on the bank. If you can afford a net, it’s a good idea. If it ain’t your thing... well that’s cool too. Rubber / mesh nets help fish, bottom line.

Keep em wet... I feel like this has become political, just like wearing a mask. Keeping trout in the water in a fishery like the Yakima is different then keeping a wild Hoh steelhead in the water. Can trout be lifted, over water, for a quick picture... yes.

It think more than anything trout should be kept over water. It makes me cringe when I see fish netted and then go on the lap of the rower in a boat while they try to get the hook free for 30 seconds plus. Or a fish flop picture in the middle of a drift boat.

Will the Yakima fishery collapse if fish are not kept wet... no, definitely not. Just like taking bad shots at big game isn’t going to make and elk or deer population collapse. Is it something that is easy to practice and will decrease mortality of fish, yes!

There are a lot of new fisherman reading this forum so why not teach a good practice. If it isn’t your thing... that’s your choice.

Not everything has to be black or white, left or right...I look forward to more pages arguing about this topic until a solution is found.

Bryce Levin

Mostly i reject the idea that some people fish more ethically than others, that whole concept is utter bs. If you're following the law and practicing catch and release you have nothing to be ashamed o

You could punch holes in that argument pretty quickly, Rob. Could show me in the regs where WDFW states it is illegal to target steelhead on redds? That's unethical, but technically legal. Same goes with fish on the Clearwater in the spring, IDFG spell it out as illegal?

For decades anglers have been catching and releasing wild trout with bare dry hands, knotted nylon nets, holding them for grip and grins and with barbed hooks and our populations have done just fine.
I'm sorry that's just the truth.

What do you think would happen to a river like the Madison if every fish was handled that way? Would you see any effect on the population of fish over a 5-10 year period? Human population is growing... but the fish population ain't.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

You could punch holes in that argument pretty quickly, Rob. Could show me in the regs where WDFW states it is illegal to target steelhead on redds? That's unethical, but technically legal. Same goes with fish on the Clearwater in the spring, IDFG spell it out as illegal?

What do you think would happen to a river like the Madison if every fish was handled that way? Would you see any effect on the population of fish over a 5-10 year period? Human population is growing... but the fish population ain't.

The fish on the Madison ARE handled that way.. that is exactly the example i was thinking of while writting this. And the Madison has been at least remaining healthy after 40 years of this activity and with an inceeasing number of anglers doing it.

I think but i could be wrong that fishing over spawning salmon and steelhead would be considered wildlife harrassment.

I'll conceed the point about spring fishing on the Clearwater.

Bryce Levin

The fish on the Madison ARE handled that way.. that is exactly the example i was thinking of while writting this. And the Madison has been at least remaining healthy after 40 years of this activity and with an inceeasing number of anglers doing it.

I’d like to believe that the majority of the fisherman are handling fish better than that. Maybe I am being naive.

Rob Allen

I’d like to believe that the majority of the fisherman are handling fish better than that. Maybe I am being naive.

I'm not suggesting people should be treating fish badly. I'm just suggesting that it's easy to be over sensitive to these issues particularly from the northwest perspective where healthy fisheries cannot be taken for granted. Also after years of viewing this from an individual animal perspective i now, to avoid hypocrisy only look at it from a population perspective. A healthy trout fishery like the Madison can sustain some mortality and still thrive.

Bryce Levin

I'm not suggesting people should be treating fish badly. I'm just suggesting that it's easy to be over sensitive to these issues particularly from the northwest perspective where healthy fisheries cannot be taken for granted. Also after years of viewing this from an individual animal perspective i now, to avoid hypocrisy only look at it from a population perspective. A healthy trout fishery like the Madison can sustain some mortality and still thrive.

You know what Rob? I agree with you. I think that’s a good perspective.

I’m going to have a beer.

Shad

I do everything I can to be as easy on fish I'm releasing as possible, but I hate carrying a net while fishing on foot, so I rarely use one. In a boat is a different matter....

I guess I just figure the whole point in C&R is NOT to kill fish, so if you willfully do stuff that might injure or kill fish, I say you're doing it wrong. Not that it's a crime or likely to destroy the fishery... Just sayin'.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
Here's all I'll say.

People that handle fish potentially fatally on rivers with a higher tolerance for mortality will do the same on rivers with a lower tolerance for mortality.

There's nothing wrong with promoting healthier fisheries.

The reality... is that catch and release mortality isn't linked to declining fish stocks because most anglers practice good fish handling.

Rob Allen

Here's all I'll say.

People that handle fish potentially fatally on rivers with a higher tolerance for mortality will do the same on rivers with a lower tolerance for mortality.

There's nothing wrong with promoting healthier fisheries.

The reality... is that catch and release mortality isn't linked to declining fish stocks because most anglers practice good fish handling.

And it's bern that way since the beginning of catch and release. What we did in the 70s worked just fine.

Tarkin

Had 2 fish that wouldn't come unbuttoned the other day even on barbless hooks. It happens. I snipped the tippet above the fly and let them go. Better to lose a fly than have the fish die. I'm told the fly will rust out or fall out within a day or 2 which is better odds the ripping it's jaw into pieces just to retrieve a fly.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts