Idaho Backpacking

Tristan Mikoleit

WFF Supporter
My wife and I will be in Coeur d'Alene over 4th of July weekend and we both took work off the week after to explore. We want to do either multiple 1-2 night back packing trips, or a single 3-4 night trip. Being around water is a key focus, we plan to fish throughout when able. I am still pretty early on in my research, but checking to see if anyone would be willing to share some knowledge on the area.

A couple specific early on questions:
Is there anything unique in Idaho that we need to consider when it comes to backpacking or fishing regulations? Are there any common backcountry permit systems or private land to be aware of in Idaho?

Any tips on what we should be prepared for in regards of fishing opportunities? We plan to bring our standard 5 weight setups and be prepared to adjust when it comes to fishing style.

Thanks,
Tristan

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
Are you cool with stillwater? If so the selkirks and the abundance of mountain lakes up there are prime this time of year. pick a lake and find your route to it, there is lots of info on hiking the area. going off trail can be amazing if you have the skills to do so safely. 5wts will be fine. 1-2 hour drive and real good alpine terrain.

WAS

That's over nine hours from CDA but the ST's are great hiking and fishing. Petit Lake loop through Taxaway and Farley Lakes is a good one, Redfish Lake to Cramer Lakes is spectacular and not a butt buster. You have the option of riding the boat from Redfish Lodge to the end of the lake or hiking it.

DSCN3266.JPG

Tristan Mikoleit

WFF Supporter
Thanks for the information everyone. I was surprised at how quickly road miles built up hours for some of the things I was initially scoping. We will probably have to keep it in the northern and North Central region to burn less time driving.

Nooksack Mac

One of the major benefits of my years of residence in Sun Valley was abundant opportunity to hike and backpack in the several mountain ranges within an hour's drive. The Sawtooth range, with its fairly short access trails, abundant, fertile mountain lakes, and staggeringly gorgeous scenery, is probably the best of the lot. If you're a hardcore alpine fisher, park your family in the Sun Valley resort for a week or two, where they can play outdoors, flirt with movie stars, etc... They'll thank you.;)

joelals

Check out the Cabinet Mountains Wilderness if you have time! Just head toward Libby, MT and there are all kinds of great hikes/backpacking trips that way. A really nice hike is to Revett Lake (about 1 hr from CDA). You might check out Harrison Lake or Roman Nose. There are lot's of great places to explore--have fun!

WAS

I took my kids in to Revett several times with other friends and their kids. We always went up the NFCDA and stopped in Murray to visit the museum and take in the utter destruction of Pritchard Creek that was dredged back in the 30's. What a mess. :(. We have some great memories of packing in up there and the fishing wasn't to bad either, but that's been light years ago.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts