barge dumps containers

Mems

X5vpeMMl.jpg

Aloha, Young Brother's barge lost 21 containers overboard. We passed by this one yesterday. This is the only one we saw, but there was a lot of debris in the water including vegetables and cartons of milk. We hit a buoy and got 3 mahi and some small ahi on chunk bait. Someone was there at night burning light and the fish would only take cut bait. the winds came up and I made a pass by the buoy and a big ahi hit my small conventional rod and destroyed me took 200 yrds of line and popped the 80lb spro swivel in half. I re-rigged and made another pass and another big ahi hit and almost spooled me before he broke me off on the buoy chain. So I put a chunk on a big hook on a big rod and tried again but no takers. The wind got worse so we headed in. I am afraid the ahi will spawn on July 4th full moon and then leave. We only have a week and a half more to go, so we are headed out when the weather gets better. Guy you better get here quick!

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
One of the biggest hazards to offshore sailing/cruising.
Those things terrorized my thoughts at sea while sailing at night.

SilverFly

X5vpeMMl.jpg

Aloha, Young Brother's barge lost 21 containers overboard. We passed by this one yesterday. This is the only one we saw, but there was a lot of debris in the water including vegetables and cartons of milk. We hit a buoy and got 3 mahi and some small ahi on chunk bait. Someone was there at night burning light and the fish would only take cut bait. the winds came up and I made a pass by the buoy and a big ahi hit my small conventional rod and destroyed me took 200 yrds of line and popped the 80lb spro swivel in half. I re-rigged and made another pass and another big ahi hit and almost spooled me before he broke me off on the buoy chain. So I put a chunk on a big hook on a big rod and tried again but no takers. The wind got worse so we headed in. I am afraid the ahi will spawn on July 4th full moon and then leave. We only have a week and a half more to go, so we are headed out when the weather gets better. Guy you better get here quick!
That sucks (both the containers being dumped, and losing the big ahi). Not gonna make this ahi season :( .

Dave Boyle

While I totally agree with the hazard, my sister did a lot of ocean sailing and called them out too as the worst fear to hit. The fisherman makes me think this is a temporary buoy to be taken advantage of. Fish must hang off those things before they sink?
Dave

Timson

We built a triple deck barge for Young brothers here in Tacoma. The inspection was as good as any Navy vessel I ever built. Young brothers seemed to be very safety minded and seriously doubt there was a lashing problem. Sea Land loses hundreds of containers, the old President lines also. The sea can be a rough customer. Shit happens.

rotato

We built a triple deck barge for Young brothers here in Tacoma. The inspection was as good as any Navy vessel I ever built. Young brothers seemed to be very safety minded and seriously doubt there was a lashing problem. Sea Land loses hundreds of containers, the old President lines also. The sea can be a rough customer. Shit happens.
Hey James did you work at MINI?
cheers

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts