Idaho Trip

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
I have never been to Idaho. With that being said I am planning a 2 week trip. I want to fish The Selway, Lochsa, St. Joe, and Coeur d'alene. Is it to early to go July 4th? When does the fishing get good? When do these rivers peak? I am driving 34 hours to get there and dont want to waste a trip. Any help or tips are greatly appreciated.

WAS

The N40 store fly shop in Lewiston will give you updates on the Lochsa but right now I think it's a whitewater rafting trip at something like 4,300 cfs. I wouldn't count on the Selway for a while. You might think about the NF Clearwater instead.

SJ and CDA optimum right now. Expect rec floaters anytime. Call the Silver Bow in Spokane or Castaway Fly Shop in Couer d' Alene for info.

We just came off a week of 90+ degrees in the LC Valley but it is supposed to be cooler next week. Stay tuned...

freestonebound

The N40 store fly shop in Lewiston will give you updates on the Lochsa but right now I think it's a whitewater rafting trip at something like 4,300 cfs. I wouldn't count on the Selway for a while. You might think about the NF Clearwater instead.

SJ and CDA optimum right now. Expect rec floaters anytime. Call the Silver Bow in Spokane or Castaway Fly Shop in Couer d' Alene for info.

We just came off a week of 90+ degrees in the LC Valley but it is supposed to be cooler next week. Stay tuned...
Thank you for the info.

SpokaneFisherman

Where are you coming from and how are you traveling (RV, travel trailer, tent camping)? If it were me I'd skip the Coeur D'Alene and hit Kelly creek. Better fishing and closer to the Lochsa/Selway.

freestonebound

Where are you coming from and how are you traveling (RV, travel trailer, tent camping)? If it were me I'd skip the Coeur D'Alene and hit Kelly creek. Better fishing and closer to the Lochsa/Selway.
New York from truck. (In my county, Schoharie, we have 54 cases of COVID-19) I am planning to fish YNP and do the route 20 Rocky Mountain Fly Highway to Silver Creek. From there I'll head North. Due to time constraints (I only have three weeks) I have decided to visit Kelly forks (junction of NFCW and Kelly Creek/Lochsa and skip CDA and selway. If you were me and you WERE going to YNP and The fly highway what would you pick for your North Idaho destination?

Nooksack Mac

For the NFCW and Kelly Creek: an extra gas can. Bear spray optional:oops:

At some point, you'll say to yourself "Why didn't they tell me about Idaho, years ago?"

WAS

Just got home tonight from the SF Clearwater and the Red River, one of it's main upper tribs. The Red was not wadable and the SF was a roller coaster, not even close to being fishable. I think if you show up around the 4th you will find Kelly and the NFCW the same. NF is 3850 cfs right now. Like I said, BE SURE to give the N40 shop in Lewiston a call and talk to Camas or whoever is there about your plans and get some info few days before. Stay in touch and maybe I can help.

Wes

freestonebound

Just got home tonight from the SF Clearwater and the Red River, one of it's main upper tribs. The Red was not wadable and the SF was a roller coaster, not even close to being fishable. I think if you show up around the 4th you will find Kelly and the NFCW the same. NF is 3850 cfs right now. Like I said, BE SURE to give the N40 shop in Lewiston a call and talk to Camas or whoever is there about your plans and get some info few days before. Stay in touch and maybe I can help.

Wes
Many thanks. I wont be in the North until after the 14th. Before that its the fly highway. I really do appreciate you keeping me posted.

dogsnfish

The Joe is in shape right now. We just got back from 10 days on the North Fork Clearwater and the fishing was outstanding. Kelley is still high. Not sure about the Lochsa. Contact Silver Bow fly shop in Spokane for conditions to the north, and Red Shed fly shop for conditions to the south. Don't forget the Clark Fork and Bitterroot as they may be in good shape.

freestonebound

The Joe is in shape right now. We just got back from 10 days on the North Fork Clearwater and the fishing was outstanding. Kelley is still high. Not sure about the Lochsa. Contact Silver Bow fly shop in Spokane for conditions to the north, and Red Shed fly shop for conditions to the south. Don't forget the Clark Fork and Bitterroot as they may be in good shape.
Thanks you for the heads up.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts