8'6" Phillipson Power Pakt

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
I own two 8'6" Phillipson Power Pakts. Bought one from Coldwater Collectibles and bought the other for a song from someone off Craigslist. Use them often on high lakes. Three piece configuration is easy to pack. They can cast a nice long intermediate line from a float tube and are 5 weights in case I need a delicate floating line presentation. Hiked into a brookie lake this weekend and caught some fish for dinner.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 12.31.03 PM.png

Mark Kadoshima

Dave, do you often camp overnight when you fish some of the alpine lakes? If so, do you mind sharing what kind of backpack you use. Does it carry two rod cases, and do you have a recommendation for a packable float tube? I hope to begin exploring the Alpine Wilderness later this summer.

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
Dave, do you often camp overnight when you fish some of the alpine lakes? If so, do you mind sharing what kind of backpack you use. Does it carry two rod cases, and do you have a recommendation for a packable float tube? I hope to begin exploring the Alpine Wilderness later this summer.
Wilderness Lite is the way to go. I used an old caddis float tube for a while but it was 4 times as heavy, I had to replace the tubes several times due to punctures and the pump was way too big to bring with so I had to leave the tube always inflated.

I'd highly recommend an external frame pack so you can bungee cord your float tube to the back. Will save lots of time because you won't have to inflate or deflate your float tube. I use a Cabelas Alaskan 1 Frame pack.

I mostly fish bamboo so I carry my bamboo rod in one hand and use a hiking pole in the other.

Most of the lakes I fish are less than a 2.5 mile hike so I day trip. I will overnight on longer hikes. I almost always have to bring the float tube to maximize my catch. I can think of only a couple lakes where I don't.

I usually start fishing with an intermediate line. Switch to a sinking line when I have to go deeper and a floating line if they are feeding on the surface.

Riffling Hitch

I found that a alluminum rod tube for a 10' 2pc rod worked very well for a walking stick. Added some rubber to the bottom of the tube. Did'nt really matter the size of the rod inside. Since then I have strapped rods to my packs and it has never worked as well for me.

racermo

Watch that Backcast
WFF Supporter
I've found that I prefer the 8 1/2 ft Phillipson's with either a DT5 or a WF6. They do balance better and cast easier with a heavier reel like a Pflueger or a Perfect. Used to fish with them quite a bit on the McKenzie, haven't bit the bullet on a lake yet. You keep posting pictures like this and you just might push me over the edge..... :eek:

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
I've found that I prefer the 8 1/2 ft Phillipson's with either a DT5 or a WF6.
Do you have an 8'6" Phillipson impregnated Dry Fly Special? Para Adams tells me it's an easy 6 weight. My 8'6" Phillipsons are varnished. They weigh 4.7 oz and 5.0 oz each. Tried them with 5 and 6 weight lines and like them best with the 5 weight.

I have a 9' 5 5/8 oz Phillipson Pacemaker which is a 7 weight. Use it for salt water, Sauk bull trout, big fish kamloops lakes and a high lake in eastern wa where the fish do this to regular hooks.
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 3.42.43 PM.png

racermo

Watch that Backcast
WFF Supporter
Do you have an 8'6" Phillipson impregnated Dry Fly Special? Para Adams tells me it's an easy 6 weight. My 8'6" Phillipsons are varnished. They weigh 4.7 oz and 5.0 oz each. Tried them with 5 and 6 weight lines and like them best with the 5 weight.
I have a Pacemaker "51" (labelled that way) that I fish most most often, also a Paramount (1949). Both are varnished and weigh exactly 5.05 oz. For use on the river I'll usually use a DT5 floater. If I use a weight forward line I prefer a 6 weight. I do find that the 8 1/2 ft. Grangers are more suitable to a DT5 / WF5 line choice.
I have a Granger Favorite 9050. At 9 foot and weighing 6 ounces, it's a 6 weight in my hands. At that length I prefer glass or graphite. A 9 foot hollow built Powell weighs in at 4.7 ounces and is much more pleasurable and effective to cast than the Granger.

Last edited:

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
I do find that the 8 1/2 ft. Grangers are more suitable to a DT5 / WF5 line choice.
I have a Granger Favorite 9050. At 9 foot and weighing 6 ounces, it's a 6 eight in my hands. At that length I prefer glass or graphite. A 9 foot hollow built Powell weighs in at 4.7 ounces and is much more pleasurable and effective to cast than the Granger.
Agree with you that the grangers 8642's are 5 weight. My Granger Champion 9050 and Granger Victory 9050 are clear 6 weights. The 406 lines have become my new favorites with bamboo. I mostly use 406 weight forward lines because I'm fishing bamboo on still water. Have a few 406 DT lines for rivers.

You need to bring the 9' hollow Powell to our next bamboo cast around. Sounds intriguing. Saw a Powell for sale locally at a pretty high price a while ago. Am I right that the quality of the Powells varies from one rod to another? Some are very very good and others not so good.

Rich Morrison

www.classicpowellrod.com
WFF Supporter
You need to bring the 9' hollow Powell to our next bamboo cast around. Sounds intriguing. Saw a Powell for sale locally at a pretty high price a while ago. Am I right that the quality of the Powells varies from one rod to another? Some are very very good and others not so good.
No. Both EC Powell and Walton Powell routinely and quite dependably built outstanding bamboo rods. Their consistency is quite remarkable. What you need to understand is how to determine what sort of rod you might have - length, weight, taper etc - what was the rod built to do? Most Powell rods you see available will be pretty pricey because they are outstanding rods.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts