WTB 12 wt

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Looking to add another 12 wt to the albacore arsenal. Not picky on brand, and not really looking for super high end. Must be either 4 piece or 2 piece, and must have an upper fore grip. Already have 2 other 12s and neither has the upper grip, which I am really after for leaning on albacore.

If you have something that might work send me a PM with details.

Nick

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
From my research I cant find many new model 12 wts available with the upper grip, but it used to be an option on many larger rods not all that long ago.

If Im just pulling out the big rod for a fish or two, I dont mind the standard grip. But anything more than a couple fish and my wrist and back starts getting awfully sore. After the grab and initial run with an albacore, it becomes a game of straight up and down lifting and I really want to have a rod available with that upper grip where I can seriously lean on the fish, and employ the quick pump technique that allows for landing those fish quickly.

I already have a Redington Vapen and a custom built Salt HD in 12 wt but neither has the upper grip, so Im really hoping to find one with the grip to add to the arsenal

Thrasybulus

I practice social distancing
From my research I cant find many new model 12 wts available with the upper grip, but it used to be an option on many larger rods not all that long ago.

If Im just pulling out the big rod for a fish or two, I dont mind the standard grip. But anything more than a couple fish and my wrist and back starts getting awfully sore. After the grab and initial run with an albacore, it becomes a game of straight up and down lifting and I really want to have a rod available with that upper grip where I can seriously lean on the fish, and employ the quick pump technique that allows for landing those fish quickly.

I already have a Redington Vapen and a custom built Salt HD in 12 wt but neither has the upper grip, so Im really hoping to find one with the grip to add to the arsenal
Look for a used Sage Xi2 12 weight with foregrip. Those things are meant to lift up heavy fish.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
FYI I'm pretty sure the new version of the Redington Predator comes with the upper grip. Good luck in your hunt.
I am pretty sure it does as well. I was recently looking at 10 and 12 weights and noticed that on the 12 weight Predator.

My 8 weight Predator is a really solid rod, especially at the $299 price point.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
Another option is to send the rod butt section to Steve Godshall and have him add a foregrip. He does some really fine work. That being said, theat modifies the rod and most companies will no longer honor the warranty.

Merle

Not New, Just rarely post...
Nick didn’t you sell an xi2 12wt with a fore grip a few years ago? Only reason I remember is I was going to try to buy it from you but it sold too fast!

Andy

Yak

Nick,

I have a TFO 1290-4 TiCr2 with fore grip that may be an option for you.
Trade or partial trade for a day on the water with Ya if you could squeeze me in somewhere?
Send me a PM if interested.

Jack

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Nick didn’t you sell an xi2 12wt with a fore grip a few years ago? Only reason I remember is I was going to try to buy it from you but it sold too fast!

Andy

Haha I did indeed. Probably 5 years ago, right before I got into tuna fishing of course. Just wasn't using it at the time

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Been super busy and haven't been able to reply to all the pms. I'll get to them as soon as I can!

Yak, I'll shoot you a message

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts