Father's Day weekend

triploidjunkie

Got my trailer out for the first time this year last weekend. I drug it out in the mountains not far from home. Most of the remote camping spots I wanted were surprisingly taken, but after some scouting on foot, and pulling my trailer down a road most wouldn't, I found a spot to shoehorn into.
DSCF2700.JPG
The small creek next to my campsite is seasonal snowmelt, and I didn't expect to find fish in it, but I was pleasantly surprised. I was only fifty yards from my favorite lake in this chain, but there was nowhere to launch my pontoon without driving to a launch. We arrived around 3:00 pm Friday, but after setting up camp I didn't try fishing anything but the nearby creeks. I tried dries, but it it was pointless. Using a prince nymph with two tungsten beads I able to get down and catch wild bows, a few around fourteen inches. I new some of the rainbows I caught in the lake were wild! My daughter had books to drop off at the college in town, so she followed me up. My wife would come up later, which worried me. We were camped over a mile away from where we were supposed to be, and a long way from cell service. I was too worried she would never find us to throw my boat in one of the lakes, and I was right. She drove partway down our road three times before she found us. She didn't believe I could possibly fit a 30 foot trailer down that road.
Saturday was hot!! 96 degrees. The in-laws were supposed to show up at 9:00 am. We waited around until noon, then drove back to town to get cell service for my daughter's college graduation on Zoom. The in-laws followed us back to camp for BBQ and peaceful mountain air. They left right before dark, and the kids followed them home leaving the wife and I alone. She took the dogs for a walk, while I hauled my pontoon over to the nearest launchable area. The water was boiling with big fish! I unloaded, geared up to finally fish and realized I left my pump for my boat back at camp. Over a mile away on bad dirt roads! By the time I get back to the lake it is dead. Nothing rising anymore. It was almost full dark, so I put a small mouse pattern on and went to work, but never moved a fish in over two hours. I had another rod rigged with a streamer I tried occasionally without luck either.
The next morning we woke up, had strong coffee, and headed upstream of camp fishing the fast pocketwater. DSCF2704.JPG It was a fun hike with plenty of wild trout, and the dogs had fun. After that my wife loaded up and headed home(with the dogs), leaving me the rest of Fathers Day and Monday to get some serious fishing in. And I did.
I managed a nice tiger trout on a dry right out of the gate Sunday, followed by a nice brown on a dry damsel. Then it went dead. I fished hard for a couple of hours without any luck. I switched between dries and streamers. DSCF2711.JPG
DSCF2722.JPG
Those two were caught on dries. I finally took a decent tiger right at dark on my favorite lake run pattern, an oversized Bitchcreek.
I explored miles of creek downstream Sunday evening and early Monday morning. Good looking creek, but more pikeminnow than trout down there. I would find brookies and bows in the riffle sections. DSCF2749.JPG
DSCF2725.JPG
I went back to my favorite lake in the chain midday Monday. I got one good brown not too long after launching, but nothing after that. I switched to a foam bee pattern and was rewarded with another more good brown from two inches off the bank. DSCF2770.JPG
The bee eater made my day, but I landed two more bows on dries and two more on leeches, and lost a huge brown that ate a dryfly before I wrapped it up Monday afternoon.

Attachments

• DSCF2722.JPG
    DSCF2722.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 10
  • DSCF2773.JPG
    DSCF2773.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
  • DSCF2780.JPG
    DSCF2780.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Buzzy

Trip - great report and some wonderful pictures. We see lots of pictures of bow and browns but tigers and brookies - never enough. Well done!

JohnB

Nice! I drove right by that same spot for the first time a couple weeks ago. That's a very cool area and I'm embarrassed it took me so long to get there.

Old406Kid

Got my trailer out for the first time this year last weekend. I drug it out in the mountains not far from home. Most of the remote camping spots I wanted were surprisingly taken, but after some scouting on foot, and pulling my trailer down a road most wouldn't, I found a spot to shoehorn into.
View attachment 245074
The small creek next to my campsite is seasonal snowmelt, and I didn't expect to find fish in it, but I was pleasantly surprised. I was only fifty yards from my favorite lake in this chain, but there was nowhere to launch my pontoon without driving to a launch. We arrived around 3:00 pm Friday, but after setting up camp I didn't try fishing anything but the nearby creeks. I tried dries, but it it was pointless. Using a prince nymph with two tungsten beads I able to get down and catch wild bows, a few around fourteen inches. I new some of the rainbows I caught in the lake were wild! My daughter had books to drop off at the college in town, so she followed me up. My wife would come up later, which worried me. We were camped over a mile away from where we were supposed to be, and a long way from cell service. I was too worried she would never find us to throw my boat in one of the lakes, and I was right. She drove partway down our road three times before she found us. She didn't believe I could possibly fit a 30 foot trailer down that road.
Saturday was hot!! 96 degrees. The in-laws were supposed to show up at 9:00 am. We waited around until noon, then drove back to town to get cell service for my daughter's college graduation on Zoom. The in-laws followed us back to camp for BBQ and peaceful mountain air. They left right before dark, and the kids followed them home leaving the wife and I alone. She took the dogs for a walk, while I hauled my pontoon over to the nearest launchable area. The water was boiling with big fish! I unloaded, geared up to finally fish and realized I left my pump for my boat back at camp. Over a mile away on bad dirt roads! By the time I get back to the lake it is dead. Nothing rising anymore. It was almost full dark, so I put a small mouse pattern on and went to work, but never moved a fish in over two hours. I had another rod rigged with a streamer I tried occasionally without luck either.
The next morning we woke up, had strong coffee, and headed upstream of camp fishing the fast pocketwater. View attachment 245083 It was a fun hike with plenty of wild trout, and the dogs had fun. After that my wife loaded up and headed home(with the dogs), leaving me the rest of Fathers Day and Monday to get some serious fishing in. And I did.
I managed a nice tiger trout on a dry right out of the gate Sunday, followed by a nice brown on a dry damsel. Then it went dead. I fished hard for a couple of hours without any luck. I switched between dries and streamers. View attachment 245084
View attachment 245086
Those two were caught on dries. I finally took a decent tiger right at dark on my favorite lake run pattern, an oversized Bitchcreek.
I explored miles of creek downstream Sunday evening and early Monday morning. Good looking creek, but more pikeminnow than trout down there. I would find brookies and bows in the riffle sections. View attachment 245087
View attachment 245088
I went back to my favorite lake in the chain midday Monday. I got one good brown not too long after launching, but nothing after that. I switched to a foam bee pattern and was rewarded with another more good brown from two inches off the bank. View attachment 245089
The bee eater made my day, but I landed two more bows on dries and two more on leeches, and lost a huge brown that ate a dryfly before I wrapped it up Monday afternoon.

WOW...what a potpourri of beautiful fish!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info