Selective Gear Rules = Better Fishing

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I've been saving a piece of water in the selective gear portion of the local river with a day like today in mind. It was mostly cloudy with an occasional sprinkle, 57 degrees for both the air and water, wind SW at 15 mph. Lots of change in a good direction. I fished about 3/4 mile of river for 3 hours and had a fish almost every cast. It was one of those day where everywhere the book says a fish should be there was one, and they were eager. Even a plopped cast into the middle of a seam seemed to get a hit. Some really beautiful water too. A little black ant by far did the most damage. But the renegade was the most fun. I would use the wind to billow about 20' of line then just dance it on the surface. There would be 2 or 3 silver streaks coming from different direction to jump at the fly, each needing to be the first to grab it. They would just keep coming back until one of them got it. Haven't got to play like that in years.
20200628_110010.jpg
20200628_110016.jpg
I found much better fish up here too.
20200628_Dayton.jpg
20200628_Native.jpg
20200628_Bigger.jpg
20200628_Flies.jpg
On my way out by dayton I saw a familiar rig at a pull out I'd been fishin' a few weeks ago. I stopped and about 30yds. upstream was a younger man I met a the reservoir a few weeks ago. We visited and he said he wasn't having any luck, and river fishing was hard. He showed me his rig and he had a big size 4 wolly bugger tied to 12# line. I hooked him up with a few flies, a decent leader, and a thingamabobber. He picked the prince nymph. I stayed and played guide and he pulled 2 fish out in about 15 minutes. He goes "this is so cool", trying to hide a grin at the little fish.
20200628_082432.jpg
When I left I walked down on the bank, collecting stuff. None of this in the selective gear water.
20200628_091301.jpg
What a great day.:)

Steelhead ©

BECU Member
WFF Supporter
I love renegades for creek fishing. I’ve been meaning to tie up a steelhead version to skate. Thanks for the reminder.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I used to enjoy fishing streams like that when I could get around. Now I just look for a spot close to a road. I find them places here in Montana. And I can sit in my P/U and do my setups.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
I wish ODFW would start managing the rivers for wild trout around here. NEO would be like Montana if we didn't have a five fish limit with bait allowed. Glad you had a great day and sorry for the rant.
I agree. Some of the better river water around is ruined by bait guys and trash. I'd like WDFW to go back to just Selective or Fly on the whole tucannon and touchet from prescott up. I also wish we had a regional license. I don't want to pony up just to fish Harris Park.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
I’d like to see more waters become selective without making them fly only.
Not everyone can fly fish and I have no problem with folks fishing gear with single barbless hooks.
SF
Agreed. I only picked my fly rod up again recently when my son got one as the wife only spins, I'm no purist. And while I'm probably more adept with spinners and wobblers than a fly at this point in my fishing, in these waters the fly works as good, is more fun, and allows me to fish more places. If you noticed in my tucannon post I fished a bead for a bit with the fly rod. Way more productive than bobberdoggin.

Steve Vaughn

WFF Supporter
I've been saving a piece of water in the selective gear portion of the local river with a day like today in mind. It was mostly cloudy with an occasional sprinkle, 57 degrees for both the air and water, wind SW at 15 mph. Lots of change in a good direction. I fished about 3/4 mile of river for 3 hours and had a fish almost every cast. It was one of those day where everywhere the book says a fish should be there was one, and they were eager. Even a plopped cast into the middle of a seam seemed to get a hit. Some really beautiful water too. A little black ant by far did the most damage. But the renegade was the most fun. I would use the wind to billow about 20' of line then just dance it on the surface. There would be 2 or 3 silver streaks coming from different direction to jump at the fly, each needing to be the first to grab it. They would just keep coming back until one of them got it. Haven't got to play like that in years.
View attachment 245211
View attachment 245212
I found much better fish up here too.
View attachment 245213
View attachment 245214
View attachment 245215
View attachment 245218
On my way out by dayton I saw a familiar rig at a pull out I'd been fishin' a few weeks ago. I stopped and about 30yds. upstream was a younger man I met a the reservoir a few weeks ago. We visited and he said he wasn't having any luck, and river fishing was hard. He showed me his rig and he had a big size 4 wolly bugger tied to 12# line. I hooked him up with a few flies, a decent leader, and a thingamabobber. He picked the prince nymph. I stayed and played guide and he pulled 2 fish out in about 15 minutes. He goes "this is so cool", trying to hide a grin at the little fish.
View attachment 245216
When I left I walked down on the bank, collecting stuff. None of this in the selective gear water.
View attachment 245217
What a great day.:)

That water has been my opening month location. Nice to see it fishing well late in June. It is usually getting pretty warm by now.

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I agree. Some of the better river water around is ruined by bait guys and trash. I'd like WDFW to go back to just Selective or Fly on the whole tucannon and touchet from prescott up. I also wish we had a regional license. I don't want to pony up just to fish Harris Park.
What's Harris Park. You mentioned it and I never heard about it so I thought I would just ask.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
What's Harris Park. You mentioned it and I never heard about it so I thought I would just ask.
Harris Park is a city/county park near Milton-Freewater at the boundary to the Umatilla forest land on the South Fork of the Walla Walla. It's the access point to miles of some cooler mountain water with native rainbows and bull trout. It's only 40 minutes away but would take a non-resident Oregon license for me, being from washington.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Harris Park is a city/county park near Milton-Freewater at the boundary to the Umatilla forest land on the South Fork of the Walla Walla. It's the access point to miles of some cooler mountain water with native rainbows and bull trout. It's only 40 minutes away but would take a non-resident Oregon license for me, being from washington.
Thanks, but was curious why it would cost extra. Thanks for giving an old man a heads up.:):)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts