Watermaster Boats

SpeySpaz

still an authority on nothing
I've had a WM for over 11 years now and still like it. But there's some cons:
-slow, esp. against a downstream wind
-pins round out the holes in the oars pretty fast, even the Caviness heavy duty ones
-haven't found a rod holder I like yet for a spey rod

Still, it's a really capable and fun boat to fish, and likely won't replace it till either it falls apart or I do.

Onnit

I've got the Watermaster Bruin. It's a great little boat; light enough to drag across gravel bars to get to side channels, but big enough and stable enough to get two people and gear through the more "interesting" water. I can even partially deflate it, and get it into the back of my Tundra.

Attachments

DKL

Nude to the board
I've had a WM for over 11 years now and still like it. But there's some cons:
-slow, esp. against a downstream wind
-pins round out the holes in the oars pretty fast, even the Caviness heavy duty ones
-haven't found a rod holder I like yet for a spey rod

Still, it's a really capable and fun boat to fish, and likely won't replace it till either it falls apart or I do.
I use the Scotty Power Lock rod holder for my spey rod. Works great.

http://scotty.com/product/no-230-power-lock-with-combination-sidedeck-mount/

Gorgefly

The floor option in the Watermaster Kodiak is a gamechanger. You can turn this boat into a bass boat (Ill have pics this week) fishing standing up, you can pole it on Florida flats, etc., stand up in it, use electric motor in front (option for motor mount available also). Once you fish with a floor in the boat standing, you wont go back to sitting unless you troll. I really like my Kodiak. Having said that a friend has a Commander and its a good boat, but doesnt have floor option.
I was debating on getting a floor for my WM. Can you really stand up without feeling tipsy? Do you have to lean on the side or can you stand flat footed? Seems like it would sag.

JS

I was debating on getting a floor for my WM. Can you really stand up without feeling tipsy? Do you have to lean on the side or can you stand flat footed? Seems like it would sag.
If you’re athletic, yes. Hate to say it that way, but that’s about the gist. I had no problem, even with my kid in the boat. Loved my WM with the bottom for still water.

DKL

Nude to the board
That's kind of what I was thinking too, got a couple in the garage, but I just haven't figured a good way to mount it without puncturing the membrane on the deck. Do you have it on a base and clamp it on?
Truth be told, I use it on my motorcycle when going from spot to spot. I use the clamp base attached to my pannier rack. I got the idea though from Mike Sturza, he uses them for holding Spey rods on his boats. On my inflatables, I lay my Spey rods down next to me and the handle is Velcroed in the side of a bag and my new Catchercraft Freestone has a rod holder attached to the frame. But for my other Scotty items I use the dual strap system to mount the base. That way I can adjust it as needed or simply remove the whole thing if I don’t need it. Probably not necessary when using that mount on your boat, but on my motorcycle I put some pipe insulation in it to protect the handle/reel against damage from vibrations.

sroffe

That's kind of what I was thinking too, got a couple in the garage, but I just haven't figured a good way to mount it without puncturing the membrane on the deck. Do you have it on a base and clamp it on?
I've seen the glue on pads that mount the Scotty mounts, but,... I just don't know how that would do with an anchor. I've thought about trying it, but,.... The only time I anchor is in still water, and I can just drop my 5 pound pyramid over the side.

DKL

Nude to the board
I use the Scotty anchor mount with the straps. I only use a 5 lb anchor and it works great. I don't like the permanency of the glue on pads. One of my boats I got second hand and several of these are glued on, and I don't want them. One is glued on wrong side out.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Re: Scotty anchor mount with a WM. If mounted on the stern presumably with a glue-on mount because the rear deck lacks a hole for straps, one cannot reach the rope before it goes into the cam jam cleat to cut it if the need ever arose. The WM system's method of routing the rope up and to the side with the jam cleat on the seat works pretty well.

sbonvallet

Any input between the WM kodiak and Catchercraft freestone? There is a frame with the freestone which looks fairly small but does that effect portability? The freestone with the frame appears to be more sturdy.

Freestone

WFF Supporter
Any input between the WM kodiak and Catchercraft freestone? There is a frame with the freestone which looks fairly small but does that effect portability? The freestone with the frame appears to be more sturdy.
I have had a WaterMaster Kodiak for a decade. A Cathercraft Freestone will be my next boat as with the frame, it is a waayyy more of a capable river boat and better on big lakes when the wind comes up. With a breakdown frame, it is pretty portable.

Gorgefly

It really depends on your intended use. All of them have their niche. If you plan to take it on a plane then a WM can't be beat. Time of setup is also faster. Frames will obviously help in faster water. If you are wanting to travel with it don't get a frame though.

Reactions: JS

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts