Watermaster Boats

Freestone

WFF Supporter
It really depends on your intended use. All of them have their niche. If you plan to take it on a plane then a WM can't be beat. Time of setup is also faster. Frames will obviously help in faster water. If you are wanting to travel with it don't get a frame though.

Have you seen the breakdown version of the frame? This is the set-up I plan to get.

96063D4A-1A44-4353-8CB0-957768A5958D.jpeg 1F815B53-B6C3-4D79-AF64-CA50FF8F75E5.jpeg

DKL

Nude to the board
I've been in a boat the last several years that is comparable to the Watermaster. I love it, but when you have to crank on the oars, it lacks the power and length you really want. I recently got the Swiss Special( A version of the Freestone and pictured in the reply above). If I had to choose one or the other, I'd take the Freestone. The frame breaks down quite a bit and this boat is portable. You have better oars because they are not the small ones pinned to the boat (I have broke them at the connection twice) and a more comfortable seat. You also have a rod rack set up with the frame. I bet it weighs roughly the same too. Price is comparable too.

Last edited:

Gorgefly

Those are nice boats don’t get me wrong. I am just saying the rigidity of the seat and frame makes it a little less packable. I don’t think the actual weight of everything (including oars, frame, pump, fins, bags, etc.) will get you under the 50lbs you need to check it without paying a fortune either. I bought mine mainly for use in AK. I can fit everything into my fishpond rolling duffel and still be under 50 so that’s a big deal to me. I’d like to get one of their bigger rafts eventually. I like that they are a WA company too.

BDD

Have you seen the breakdown version of the frame? This is the set-up I plan to get.

View attachment 245756 View attachment 245757
One of the WFF members asked me about a breakdown frame so here's the frame taken apart without the seat, making it more compact than the frame shown inside the bag, if you need more compactness. Weight of the boat and all the stuff is right at 50 pounds.

Breakdown Freestone Frame.jpg Breakdown Freestone Frame#2.jpg

I was debating on getting a floor for my WM. Can you really stand up without feeling tipsy? Do you have to lean on the side or can you stand flat footed? Seems like it would sag.
It is a little tippsy, I get around it by positioning a leg against the side of the boat on the inside, it worked fine for this 60 year old. Fishing for bass, stripers it really makes a difference. It paddles much faster with the floor. I would definitely get the floor again. I am planning on taking it to Florida Keys and poling it. Cabelas sells a pole 6-12foot extendable that the gear guys use for bass tournaments.

Gorgefly

It is a little tippsy, I get around it by positioning a leg against the side of the boat on the inside, it worked fine for this 60 year old. Fishing for bass, stripers it really makes a difference. It paddles much faster with the floor. I would definitely get the floor again. I am planning on taking it to Florida Keys and poling it. Cabelas sells a pole 6-12foot extendable that the gear guys use for bass tournaments.
Thanks for the info. That’s about what I would expect. I think I’ll get the floor eventually. I sold my Spring Creek Pram and I miss being able to stand and sight fish. The WM is definitely more versatile though.

BDD

I've been in a boat the last several years that is comparable to the Watermaster. I love it, but when you have to crank on the oars, it lacks the power and length you really want. I recently got the Swiss Special( A version of the Freestone and pictured in the reply above). If I had to choose one or the other, I'd take the Freestone. The frame breaks down quite a bit and this boat is portable. You have better oars because they are not the small ones pinned to the boat (I have broke them at the connection twice) and a more comfortable seat. You also have a rod rack set up with the frame. I bet it weighs roughly the same too. Price is comparable too.
I should copy and paste this response for future reference because I grow weary responding to folks asking why they should get a Freestone over a Watermaster. Frankly, I have never said anybody should. I explain the pros and cons of each and let the individual make their decision based on their own personal needs. But this response sums it up pretty well.

BDD

That’s impressive if everything you need including boat, frame, oars and accessories is under 50lbs. .
Gotta give credit where credit is due... @harryw did the legwork in a different post talking about the same subject (see post 52).

Freestone

WFF Supporter
That’s impressive if everything you need including boat, frame, oars and accessories is under 50lbs. .
You could also leave the foot bar at home and loop a cam strap or two around the tubes for a foot rest if you were too close to 50 lbs.

Gorgefly

For flying I’ll stick with a WM. Still not sold on the portability and having to assemble a frame. I typically rent a mid size SUV or Outback when I travel. I can partially deflate the WM and shove it in the back without having to disassemble anything. Is just simpler for travel. I will definitely consider these boats in the future for our rivers.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts