Yakima, Walla Walla, and Pugetropolis

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
After just getting flamed by an assortment of Westies for even mentioning that it would be ok to fish, it is hilarious to hear of all of your compatriots vacationing in Eastern Washington.

In the last few days I have heard complaints from winery folks in Walla Walla and friends in Ellensburg reporting hordes of Western WA folks coming on over to party with us. You are not following the governor’s orders very closely, Pugetropolis! Stay on your side of the state, please :)
Well, things have changed from March. We didn't have a clear picture of how this virus is spread yet. Back then, the driver behind limiting travel was hope that we could contain the virus geographically (too late) and fear that we'd overload the hospitals/emergency services (mostly avoided.) Currently those aren't big concerns, although I'm not hopeful that the hospital one won't reemerge in another month. :(
Today, the limit travel recommendation (not law) is mainly meant to reduce the personal contact that spreads infection, because visiting people and establishments is the main reason most people travel.

Also, fishing was closed. (But of course law and order is only important when it applies to someone else.)

I'll admit I've made a couple multi-day trips east of the pass fishing lately, but I don't think I've been within 50 ft of another human being, nor inside any building besides a vault toilet! Gas stations involve before and after hand sanitizer.
If healthcare overload concerns come back, I'll crawl back into my tying shop.

Reactions: imh

Steve Vaughn

WFF Supporter
then why are they even open? just opening the doors without non-local traffic means losing money. no matter what the purpose (pickups, enrollment, direct revenue from the room). no "winery folks" with a real vested interest in the business would ever spurn westies, or anyone else from out of town.
JS is correct. There have been wineries who have made that request, but I think they are not thinking any further west than Yakima. Yakima, Franklin, and Benton Co. are going nuts with cases. The attitude about even the most minor effort to minimize infection rates is a bridge too far for over half the people here in the Tri-Cities. If my wife has her way, and she usually does, we will be back in western NY by this time next year. She has had enough.

JS

JS is correct. There have been wineries who have made that request, but I think they are not thinking any further west than Yakima. Yakima, Franklin, and Benton Co. are going nuts with cases. The attitude about even the most minor effort to minimize infection rates is a bridge too far for over half the people here in the Tri-Cities. If my wife has her way, and she usually does, we will be back in western NY by this time next year. She has had enough.
I have only recently learned that everything west of Vantage is “Western Washington”, so there ya go ;)

dflett68

WFF Supporter
correct and incorrect, imho.

benton, franklin, & yakima counties plus western washington = ~85% of the state population. small businesses based in remote rural towns whose markets are 95% out of town (and probably 85-90% west of the mountains) do not open for that 15% (especially considering their other demographics and geographic distribution). the wineries in walla walla that are open are open because they are betting on and hoping for guidance-compliant folks from west of the mountains - their club members and club members to be.

what makes sense is that both you and js have referenced winery complaints about e wa counties exclusively - and you explained why: spiking cases as a direct result of a defiant attitude toward mitigation guidance combined with phase two reopening.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
I'm spending some $ in the small towns when out, as I'm lucky to be a part-time teacher. Lately it's hit or miss, they may or may not be in.

JS

benton, franklin, & yakima counties plus western washington = ~85% of the state population. small businesses based in remote rural towns whose markets are 95% out of town (and probably 85-90% west of the mountains) do not open for that 15% (especially considering their other demographics and geographic distribution). the wineries in walla walla that are open are open because they are betting on and hoping for guidance-compliant folks from west of the mountains - their club members and club members to be.

what makes sense is that both you and js have referenced winery complaints about e wa counties exclusively - and you explained why: spiking cases as a direct result of a defiant attitude toward mitigation guidance combined with phase two reopening.
Lol, that makes sense. It’s ok to come from the counties with the highest total numbers, but not from counties that literally share borders.

I’m just telling you what I heard, guy.

Replicant

then why are they even open? just opening the doors without non-local traffic means losing money. no matter what the purpose (pickups, enrollment, direct revenue from the room). no "winery folks" with a real vested interest in the business would ever spurn westies, or anyone else from out of town.
A lot of the smaller producer's are getting creative. Curbside pickup, free shipping and even personal deliveries to your home. The bottom line is that many are trying to run a business and manage the many facets of COVID-19 at the same time. The majority, just want to be responsible. Direct to consumer sales is (internet sales) now the fastest growing segment for selling wine and spirits in this country (yet still a small base) while on-premise (restaurants and bars) is basically dead (obviously). Essentially, if you are on your game, you don't necessarily need people walking in the door.

Reactions: JS

Sparse Grey Hackle

Sounds like Jay and Patty have got you guys all in a frenzy.
I was kind of wondering about all of this "spiking cases.." talk. Could it be that antibody testing finally available to the general public is confirming a lot of us did already already fend it off this winter on our own... with Kleenex and chicken noodle soup? ..and these are part of your numbers surge? Not that there is a surge of newly sick people? Just food for thought.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong and your local 509 counties aren't misrepresenting their numbers and there is a current surge of sick young people. Then we are making progress to herd immunity and that's a good thing! Them's pre-COVID times!!

Unless you want to be to be the boy in the bubble or roll the dice on the winner of the half-baked vaccine contest, everybody is going to have to contract this thing to get herd immunity and get back to square one.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts