Swinging Flies in Closed Waters with No Hook

SUSteelie

I was curious about whether fishing closed waters is both legal and ethical if you use (a) no hook on your fly (i.e. hook point and bend cut off) or (b) the point cut off your hook. Given the shrinking amount of opportunities to swing flies for steelhead in this state (and all over) and added pressure on those waters, I could imagine on some days being inclined to go skate a fly on a closed river just to maybe see a take and maybe even 2 seconds of a tug with a dull/cut off hook point.

What are your thoughts and/or experiences with this?

NRC

WFF Supporter
I was curious about whether fishing closed waters is both legal and ethical if you use (a) no hook on your fly (i.e. hook point and bend cut off) or (b) the point cut off your hook. Given the shrinking amount of opportunities to swing flies for steelhead in this state (and all over) and added pressure on those waters, I could imagine on some days being inclined to go skate a fly on a closed river just to maybe see a take and maybe even 2 seconds of a tug with a dull/cut off hook point.

Excited to watch wff relitigate this one! I do have to admit I’ve never seen the dull hook iteration of the question. Which is itself a new riff off of an old question - if I cut off just the tip, does it still count?

SUSteelie

Mybad - did not mean to resurface an old debate - my fault for not realizing / searching that it has been debated before.

I think it still being fishing makes total sense and that it is not a thing to do. No need to relitigate.

long_rod_silvers

Lee Spencer has been fishing dry flies on the Umpqua for years with no hook. He's landed 5 fish with the hook cut off.

Jamie Wilson

Here’s what I would do
Email the WDFW
Ask them the same question
See what they say
If you don’t get the answer you like keep it up climbing the ladder
If you get the answer you like print it and keep it near your license while you’re “fishing “

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
It would be considered harasment and illegal to target a species when closed. If you wish to practice casting, a peice of yarn attached to your tippett will not garner any attention, and best to let WDFW know ahead of time

SpeySpaz

still an authority on nothing
Used to do this quite a bit in the off season, to test out new lines or reels or do line experiments with a bag full of reels. Nice to get out on an empty river. One time my friend got ticketed by enforcement but the ticket was cancelled because the prosecutor saw it was bogus. Wasted his day, though.
For me, I contacted DFW and finally had an email exchange with a WDFW counsel. She told me the legal description of fishing is plain and simple. No bend or point means it's not a hook. Casting without a hook is not an offense. So I printed it out and carried it in my glovebox for years.

Albula

swollen member
Used to do this quite a bit in the off season, to test out new lines or reels or do line experiments with a bag full of reels. Nice to get out on an empty river. One time my friend got ticketed by enforcement but the ticket was cancelled because the prosecutor saw it was bogus. Wasted his day, though.
For me, I contacted DFW and finally had an email exchange with a WDFW counsel. She told me the legal description of fishing is plain and simple. No bend or point means it's not a hook. Casting without a hook is not an offense. So I printed it out and carried it in my glovebox for years.
"Yank my doodle its a dandy." Do you perhaps have any additional "I always know what I am talking about" letters filed away in your glovebox and how long is the waiting list to get casting lessons? Just asking for a friend.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
If you are attempting to fish, with a hook or not it would be considered harassment. It is the intent, if the intent is to try lines then by all means, tie on some yarn and go at it. If you intend to hook fish even with out a point, it is harassment. Same as throwing rocks at spawners is harassment.

SinglehandJay

I'm sure if you could that the water would be labeled as cnr if you could fish it. But since it says CLOSED WATERS that is what that means. It's closed. Your question is like a little kid asking one parent for something getting a no answer and asking the other parent in hopes of a better response. But given that it's 2020 and pretty much no one gives a fuck about rules just do it. Who cares about the fish right, long as you are happy

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts