Swinging Flies in Closed Waters with No Hook

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
That is not true, when I was working on getting a THCI the master I was working with would have me and a friend remove the yarn. Perfect timing resulted in zero whip crack and line would still fly.
I never met a THCI master before,you should have told me !

fisshman26

Do you need to see your yarn land in a heap when you apply to much power and you feel the line bounce back?

A different training for different aspects, thousands of ways to skin a cat!
Yes the positive or negative feedback from that visual clue is exactly what I need. If your hitting it too hard initially it’s not likely your leader or fly ever turned over anyways :rolleyes:
I was at one time very involved but after seeing grown men cry or hidden agendas by certain high ranking people involved or people pass who shouldn’t and those that should easily not, well for myself I just think it’s a money thing. If you don’t renew every year your no longer certified. The very best instructors I know have nothing to do with it

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I agree, I know some amazing casterst(I'm sure we both know them;)) that would not pass a THCI but have taught thousands, many who became certified. But what I said is still true.

fisshman26

I agree, I know some amazing casterst(I'm sure we both know them;)) that would not pass a THCI but have taught thousands, many who became certified. But what I said is still true.
about the yarn?
most of the time when the line is bouncing back the leader never fully turned over before the the bounce back. I know that because I could see what was happening With the yarn..... ;)

dogsnfish

Several years ago I called Idaho fish and game and asked about practicing two-hand casting on the Clearwater. They said they wish I would not do that, but not illegal with yarn. So I practice with yarn and have not had any troubles. But I do this during summer, not during fall to spring.

dogsnfish

Reading this thread for the first time, and what came to mind was how many of the casters at claves like the Sandy, or Poppy's on my home water, have their THCI? I agree with this post, as the guy who mentored me did not, but he was an amazing teacher, but did not bother with the THCI. He gave lessons to several people each year.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info