Do you use a hook remover?

MGTom

WFF Supporter
I've given alot of fish an education this spring. I really try to keep 'em healthy and wet for next time, except for a momentary picture. Once they get to be about 10" it's not too hard to get the fly with the forceps. Gently lift net 'till fish just rolls on side then grab fly, picture, and dunk net. If I need to touch them my hands go in the water to wet and cool, then gently grasp around middle to grab and remove the fly, avoiding the eyes. My problems is with smaller fish that flip around (I have upped hook size with smaller body on some flies). I do pinch barbs or use barbless hooks (although I have forgotten to pinch a barb after many fly changes). I'm thinking of trying one of these products.
Orvis Ketchum Release
Runje Releaser
Any experience or preferences appreciated.

kpb

I used a Ketchum for a few seasons and thought it worked great. Unfortunately I lost it. Have tried a few other kinds and thought they were inferior. Especially the ones that are part of your forceps.

tippet

hardcore flyfishing addict
1. Rubber net - The fly comes out 50% of the time if the hook is barbless.

2. For the other 50% - Runje Releaser! You can get it or order it from the Silver Bow Fly Shop. The Runje releaser is easy to use and you never have to touch the fish or lift it out of the water.

Jim Darden

I have pinched the barbs on everything for over 30 years, not to protect the fish but to protect myself! I don't find that I lose any fish as a result. I think barbs are more a psychological issue than real, after you fish barbless a few years you realize they don't keep you from using fish. The very small flies however, 18 and smaller, seem to be the biggest problem, they are often hard to remove even with a hook remover. On the larger hooks, I find if you let them thrash a little in the net, they will rub the hook out 90% of the time......as a caveat, they will do the same thing on weeds if you don't keep heavy pressure on the fish!

MGTom

WFF Supporter
1. Rubber net - The fly comes out 50% of the time if the hook is barbless.

2. For the other 50% - Runje Releaser! You can get it or order it from the Silver Bow Fly Shop. The Runje releaser is easy to use and you never have to touch the fish or lift it out of the water.
1, done, some reason I can't get the little ones off this summer. 2) looks like local guy too, and similar to the hareline, thx.

jamma

I used a Ketchum for a few seasons and thought it worked great. Unfortunately I lost it. Have tried a few other kinds and thought they were inferior. Especially the ones that are part of your forceps.
I lost two of 'em! But I agree, they worked quite well.;)

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
The Ketchum works great as long as the fly will fit inside of the tube. Larger flies need something else.

David Loy

Senior Moment
Also a KR fan. Have the regular and Big Bug sizes, but find the regular size most useful, needing help with the normal sized trout flies (say 12 to 18). Often don’t even use the net. Reel them in close enough, slide the barrel over the leader, lift rod, slide to fly and twist. Have tried the Guides Choice (like it on larger flies and fish) and other wire types, but for typical trout flies the KR works best for me.

Last edited:

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
Yep. Here are the release tools of my trade: hook release, heavy duty pliers, lipper, jaw spreaders

I also strictly fish barbless and often the hook will pop out in the net, but there are times where it just doesn't and other tools are necessary (still haven't needed the jaw spreaders yet, but they're a staple in my tool box).

tippet

hardcore flyfishing addict
The Runje Releaser is a lot like the "small fish" above, but it has a clip to attach it to something on my pontoon boat or vest, and foam in the looped handle so it floats if you accidently drop it in the lake or stream.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts