Which WFF'er could this be?

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I always take pride in occupying the actual ramp area for like seconds. Any fiddling, strapping, packing ect should be done out of the way. The most annoying guy has the backing down mastered. He gets to the waters edge where he BEGINS to organise gear, unstrap, ect. Many minutes wasted. The ramp is sacred ground and no man should spend extra time there.

Oh man this drives me NUTS! Nothing like waiting in line at a busy ramp, getting my boat prepped to launch in the process, then the guy ahead of me backs down to the top of the ramp, then gets out and proceeds to spend 15 minutes attaching fenders, loading the boat with coolers and gear, explaining the process to his crew etc. Its no crime to be inexperienced or even slow while launching, but wasting my time because you're too lazy or stupid to make sure everything is ready ahead of time just drives me up a wall.

dustinchromers

Oh man this drives me NUTS! Nothing like waiting in line at a busy ramp, getting my boat prepped to launch in the process, then the guy ahead of me backs down to the top of the ramp, then gets out and proceeds to spend 15 minutes attaching fenders, loading the boat with coolers and gear, explaining the process to his crew etc. Its no crime to be inexperienced or even slow while launching, but wasting my time because you're too lazy or stupid to make sure everything is ready ahead of time just drives me up a wall.
Another favourite is launching a drifter or running shuttle with the boat stationed at the bottom of the ramp ensuring nobody can use it in their absence. I move them. It's funny to see folks get upset you moved their boat. Don't block the ramp then. Don't tell me it's too late to put on. I have access places you don't. It's nobody's business when you put on. It's a simple rule really the not blocking or occupying the ramp.

Rogue Fanatic

Another trick when backing- leave the truck in neutral. As you can see by the knucklehead going over the boulders, things happen fast when the truck AND gravity are both exerting force. Take the motor out of the equation and things happen plenty fast to look like you know what you're doing but not so fast that recovery is difficult.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Kayakers tend to be the absolute worst!

Go Sox,
cds
Or old guys (yes I’m old) who seem oblivious to everything and everyone around them, while they take up to an hour parked right in the middle of the ramp while assembling their rods, pumping up their pontoons etc.....
If anyone needs an example of this, just visit Pass Lake in the spring.
As said, get your shit ready in the parking lot before you hit the launch!
SF

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Looks like me the first time I tried to use only the mirrors instead of looking out the back window lol.

One should only use side mirrors, that is the proper way to back a trailor. If you have to look back wards what will happen when you cant look out the back. I learned how when I was landscaping and there was no view out the back, we had a standing bet that if could back the trailer into the garage on the 1st time it was 100 bucks!

Creatch'r

Tin Foil Time
What about the people inflating and “launching” float tubes at pass lake right in the middle of the giant launch? That really grinds my gears. Dude it weighs 10 pounds, park your Subaru Forester in the forest and carry the fucking thing. Based on how scared you are to put your wet float tube in the trunk, you should probably keep your tires at least 100’ from the water so your wife doesn't get testy. Maybe consider taking your rods out of the tubes out of the way while you’re at it. Amazing how much space and time it takes to launch a one man boat. I swear one of these days I’ll see a dude spooling backing onto a reel with a fly line in a box and a bare hook in a vice while he’s parked in the middle of the launch and he will look at me scornfully when I ask if he would mind dragging his mobile fly shop out of the way so I can back in my drift boat.

ffb

As a recent first time boat owner I feel for this person lol. My backing up skills have come a long way and I am not having too much of a problem launching solo but still have some work to do on retrieving. I did have a very nice lady from the crowded beach come over yesterday and asked if I would like some help lining the boat up but I told her I needed to suffer through this alone to learn. Was the only one at the ramp so no one to piss off, just had to try to keep my cool as the families on the beach watched my struggle lol. Probably would have loaded perfect first try if I was all alone.

Creatch'r

Tin Foil Time
One should only use side mirrors, that is the proper way to back a trailor. If you have to look back wards what will happen when you cant look out the back. I learned how when I was landscaping and there was no view out the back, we had a standing bet that if could back the trailer into the garage on the 1st time it was 100 bucks!
believe me, I know. I hopped in my buddies truck to bring around his trailer at the Baker launch and as soon as I realized there was no way I could look behind me in his truck I was SOL. I damn near missed the slot and let his trailer drop off the ledge into the main river which is extremely sketchy there. I felt blind and every move was opposite. At that point I realized the error of my ways. I can sorta see out the back of my truck, especially with the big boat, but trying to stay off that titty and learn how the big boys play. I recommend to anyone to practice with the mirrors if you aren’t already.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts