What boat did you grow up with?

John svah

Where i grew up near chesapeake bay you could do errands, go to school etc by water. When i was 13 We got a 16’ amf creatliner bow rider with a johnson sea horse 115 on it. It was a restoration project- Dad and i redid the floor, carpet, seats etc. Mom likes engines so we put a new prop on, spark plugs, and tuned it up. I did the rewiring for the lights, and out in a bildge pump (short of drilling the hole in the hull) because the boat leaked like a sieve. It was blue and we called in the blue crab-it was my ticket to freedom! We rented a little slip for it-that and gas was why i cut lawns! Dont know what happened to it but it is not in our family any more.

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
WFF Supporter
We putted around in a p14 with a Clinton Apache 9hp. We were slow but got there.

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
The first boat I remember was a wood boat my dad built in our basement in Minnesota when I was in grade school. It was 15 or 16 feet and we ran into a serious problem taking up the stairs. He was an engineer but forgot to take into account the clearance he needed at the top of the stairs in the doorway had to be much wider than the beam of the boat. There were some harsh words said and the cut out about 18" of the house enlarging the top of the door opening. The boat worked wonderfully and we fished out of it for a long time. One of my comments my dad made about having his own boat was it was so much better than renting a boat. He said when he was fishing out of a reantal and found a good spot to fish all he had to do was to put an X on the bottom to mark the spot but he was not always sure of getting the same boat when he came back.

My favorite family boat that I purchased was a 26' Bayliner Explorer that was a displacement hull boat which in the long run, meant it was very slow but economical. Powered by a 120 HP Volvo IO. Great fishing boat and had lots of room for weekend family trips in Lake Chelan but the wife hated the following sea roll left and right from waves. Name of the boat was The Chic-N-Ship.

Last edited:

Roper

Idiot Savant
WFF Supporter
My friends parents ran Thistle class sailboats and we would take one out once in a while. That’s as close as I got to a boat...

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
My folks weren't interested in fishing or boating, so I didn't grow up with any boat. However, I had a natural interest in water and fishing, so a neighbor kid and I built a raft out of cedar fence posts and floated around on it down at a slow wide spot on the creek I lived next to. Later, we got a Navy surplus life raft, supposedly from a submarine. It was heavy as all get out, but was about 2-man sized, but said it was rated for 6. Small sailors I guess. We used that on the creek and a big pond we called "the swimmin' hole. If I grew up around a boat, those were it.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
My folks weren't interested in fishing or boating, so I didn't grow up with any boat. However, I had a natural interest in water and fishing, so a neighbor kid and I built a raft out of cedar fence posts and floated around on it down at a slow wide spot on the creek I lived next to. Later, we got a Navy surplus life raft, supposedly from a submarine. It was heavy as all get out, but was about 2-man sized, but said it was rated for 6. Small sailors I guess. We used that on the creek and a big pond we called "the swimmin' hole. If I grew up around a boat, those were it.
This story has a tinge of Henry P. Grogan's Army Surplus Store going for it...Did it have any bullet holes in it?

Last edited:

Hem

My father had a couple old small outboards when I was younger, but my favorite boat was owned by my father in law when my wife and I got married In 1965.

My in-laws owned a summer home on Chautauqua Lake in western New York State. The boat had belonged to my wife’s grandparents and my father in law had inherited it from them. It was a Chris Craft built from mahogany wood, and It had a Chrysler inboard engine.

We water skied behind it, trolled the lake for muskies, for which the lake is famous, or sometimes just cruised a long portion of the lake’s 22 mile length on warm summer evenings.

The boat took a lot of maintenance, however, and most years my father in law took the boat to a marina down the lake, where it remained for the winter, while they stripped and revarnished its exterior and maintained the engine.

They had that boat for about 10 years after my wife and I married, and our 3 sons also spent their first summers growing up on the lake and enjoying that boat. I was sorry when my father in law sold it, and I wish we still had it in the family. I suspect it may have been restored and could still be cruising around some lake somewhere.

Ths is not a picture of that boat, but it was something similar to it.

View attachment 245567
I have only taken a real interest in boats in recent years. But I will admit the older vintage boats have always caught my eye. The boat in the picture is just downright SWEET.

Whitewater

12 ft plywood duck boat.
Couple wood rowboats
14 Aluminum skiff, 1949 Johnson
Osagian canoe
Couple fiberglass layout boats.
Avon Adventurer raft, bought new, used hard for guiding, 20 yrs on sold it for more.
Couple more canoes
22 Ft Catalina sloop owned that the longest.
Couple more canoes, both Royalex. Sure miss that Royalex.
South Fork Skiff, guided FF from this one. Great boat.
14 Aire Jag white water cat. Probably my fave oar powered boat of all. Snake, Green, Salmon, Colorado,
16 Klamath, never shoulda' sold it. Beamy, stable, great for going out with grandkids.
Alumacraft, never shoulda bought it.
Another Avon, just love that Hypalon.
15 Grumman Sport Boat, great freight canoe, just too old and stove up to enjoy it.
Probably missing some.

longputt

12 ft plywood duck boat.
Couple wood rowboats
14 Aluminum skiff, 1949 Johnson
Osagian canoe
Couple fiberglass layout boats.
Avon Adventurer raft, bought new, used hard for guiding, 20 yrs on sold it for more.
Couple more canoes
22 Ft Catalina sloop owned that the longest.
Couple more canoes, both Royalex. Sure miss that Royalex.
South Fork Skiff, guided FF from this one. Great boat.
14 Aire Jag white water cat. Probably my fave oar powered boat of all. Snake, Green, Salmon, Colorado,
16 Klamath, never shoulda' sold it. Beamy, stable, great for going out with grandkids.
Alumacraft, never shoulda bought it.
Another Avon, just love that Hypalon.
15 Grumman Sport Boat, great freight canoe, just too old and stove up to enjoy it.
Probably missing some.
Some people talk about 2 foot-itis I'm afraid I have 2 boat-itis...it looks like you have it also!

I took my Avon 25 year old "bucket boat" down the Salmon R last year and I wondered: "How long do the seams last?"

Do you have any idea how long the seams should be considered reliable?

Whitewater

Some people talk about 2 foot-itis I'm afraid I have 2 boat-itis...it looks like you have it also!

I took my Avon 25 year old "bucket boat" down the Salmon R last year and I wondered: "How long do the seams last?"

Do you have any idea how long the seams should be considered reliable?
Sure don't know how long they'll last, but I saw an old black Avon still in use in the 1990's, had to be 30 yrs old or more. Hypalon will probably last, don't know about the seam tape and glue though. Sorry, can't be more help.

Rialto

The other old boats of my youth were from Point no Point.

View attachment 245593
I grew up fishing out of the Point no Point Resort as well using their rentals and my dad's 20-horse Johnson. The boat in your photo looks to be a Forbes Landing boat. The PnP Resort acquired a few of them when Forbes Landing closed. The Resort boats were 16 feet with a red hull and dark green on the rails and bow cover. The make/model was the Studach, named after one of the former resort owners, Leo and Onie Studach.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts