Reach Casting

longputt

I was fishing for shad yesterday and wanted to use my two hand rod for practice. But I found I caught more on my single hand rod because I could "reach." Can you effectively make a reach cast with a skagit line or should it be a Scandi? Mending just seems to lift the fly...it needs to be an upstream cast with a long drift (reach).

Last edited:

steve s

WFF Supporter
I throw a reach into most of my casts but they are usually only slightly upstream, across or downstream. I usually use a skagit type cast with a sink tip, as the line is in the air, I kind of reach upstream with the tip so that the line lands in a straight line, fly ready to sink with no mends required. I also use a mono running line, so that if I do need to mend, I can mend, or reposition the running line without disturbing the head.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
I was fishing for shad yesterday and wanted to use my two hand rod for practice. But I found I caught more on my single hand rod because I could "reach." Can you effectively make a reach cast with a skagit line or should it be a Scandi? Mending just seems to lift the fly...it needs to be an upstream cast with a long drift (reach).
Absolutely! I do it all the time.

longputt

I tried this a little more last night, it was tough the wind was probably 15, but I found if I moved the anchor point a little further upstream I could reach. It was pretty shaky but I made several nice casts in miserable conditions.

My buddy from Scotland has been on my case to switch hands (high and low)...so last night I fished both sides of the river. Left hand high is not normal for me but it was not too bad.

E WA has been windy this year I can't wait to get a calm day to try this for real.

Jim Darden

the two handed cast is so different than single handed casting, I found it easy to learn to cast either right or left hand up. Initially the left hand did better!

SpeySpaz

still an authority on nothing
I do a reach on many/most spey casts, depending on breeze/current, with rods up to 16'.
Really helps start the drift with the fly and line in good position, esp. when greaselining

2kayaker

It is a bit long but worth watching. He has some good demonstrations on mending.
Thanks for putting his video up.I remember 2 of his tips which apply to any rod maneuvers post cast before splashdown. 1) stop your rod high so you'll have time and I believe 2) start with shorter casts. His curved casts are useful too.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts