Silver creek

Denny Wagenman

same thing happened to my wife and I on Silver creek two years ago. She was fishing down river from me and a BIG bull walked right into the water between us. We wasted no time in getting out of there

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
I’ve posted this story here before. We were fishing in float tubes in Georgetown Lake in the late nineties when i was just starting to flyfish. We were barely on the water that day when we could see a Mama Moose and her baby on the shore.

Everything i knew about moose was from the show “Northern Exposure” which taught me nothing. First off I was surprised by how large she was and secondly, how fast she could run. We could see she was clearly agitated. I was fishing with my husband and our friend Keith and there was a canoe with a couple of folks a ways out from us.

When the moose started to go into the water i asked my husband, “are they good swimmers?” He lied to me, “No, they don’t like the water.”

And as i watched that moose swim straight for the canoe i started to freak out a little bit. So i started kicking for the shore and hurriedly dragged myself out of that lake and got myself into the truck and peeled off waders. I rolled all the windows up and while the guys continued to fish and catch some really big fish on a fly as it got darker, i was reading a book.

The mama moose never did anything but did come back on land where her baby was while i was in the truck. The guys continued to fish and i continued to read.

And It was about a month or so later when i was watching a TV show, something along the lines of When Animals Attack and it showed a moose kicking in a door of a vehicle. That is my first and only moose encounter. Heaven help me if i ever see a bear or cougar.

Nooksack Mac

I've met a few moose, mostly in Yellowstone Park or the Henry's Fork. None of them tried to pick a fight. Long ago, I hiked up the Bechler River, a beautiful little stream in the seldom-visited (by most tourists) southwest corner of YNP. In the early evening, I was walking across a meadow, toward where I was camped, when a bull moose emerged from the far side, walking toward me. There was a lone, slanting tree in the middle of the meadow. I McGuivered the tactical situation, and decided that I could beat the moose to the tree, even though it involved running toward it. Shortly, I was safely up the tree. Before it went away, I noticed that the moose had a cowbell hanging from a broad leather strap. At the USFS ranger station, just outside the Park, I described the event. The ranger said "No kidding! So that old critter is still alive? It's been ten years since we put that bell on him!"

jamma

One of the first times I went there I was walking on a narrow trail through the trees and when I came out the other side, a fisherman asked "Did you see the moose?" I said no but in my head I thought "...and I'm not disappointed about that at all!". I have seen one enter the creek about 25 yards below but it didn't seem to notice me at all. I suspect animals that inhabit the area year round are acclimated to the fishermen but you can never tell with wild animals. You don't have to freak out, just respect their space.

Unless they are running down the river at you. Then, by all means, feel free to freak out. :D

Steve Call

About five years ago I was fishing a stream in Idaho, hooked a really nice fish and turned when it took off down river. standing maybe fifty feet below me was a cow moose. I froze then slowly started to back up, but quickly realized I was I danger of loosing my footing and being swept right down to her. As we were staring at each other I noticed there were more than four legs! Then I realized there were more than eight! After what seemed like ten minutes, but was probably only one or two, momma moose and her two calves crossed the river and wandered off. Sometime in all that the fish got away.

triploidjunkie

I would like to add here, should you ever meet an animal in the wild, never stare at them. Predators stare and that makes the animal feel threatened, especially other predators.
I'm the Alpha predator in any woods I've ever been in... Jk. My wife and I almost got eaten by a pissed off momma Griz while fly-fishing Yellowstone. We surprised the baby, it cried, momma bluffed charged a few times(we almost cried), we walked slowly but steadily away. Bear spray felt waaaaay irrelevant at that point.

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
For some reason I am a Moose magnet. My first time in Montana, pulled in at dark at RC, slept in the car and awoke to a cold freeze in April. Got out the car and saw something odd in the empty campground. Thought it was a big animal about 100 yards away. By the time I rubbed my eyes a Moose strode off and crossed the river. First lower 48 Moose, and a right nice introduction to Montana!

First Moose ever was in Alaska and even faster. First time flying in, dropping into Anchorage through the fog, we broke out low over the gray spooky saltwater froth. In under a minute we were approaching with wheels down and ready to land. Looked down and saw a GIANT Bull Moose sleeping on the end of the big runway !

Saw a Moose at the state line in my first moments in Maine. I kid you not. Glad my Mother was with me and she saw her one and only Moose in her lifetime.

My spookiest Moose encounter was not of the norm. Back in Montana again, pal and I hiked quite a bit to a secluded spot and came across a small side pond that had some rising Brown Trout. I walked around the perimeter to find some casting space where I walked up to a Moose leg naughed off and fresh looking. Gulp! Tried to convince myself it was just a Winter killed scavenge that was just thawing out, but quickly hightailed it out of there just the same.

Magnificent creatures, indeed

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
While fishing RC many years ago, my buddy was driving. WE came up a little rise in the road and there was a Bull Moose eating the green grass that was growing in the water below the rise. At the time I had one of those use once camera and get it developed. I asked him to stop so I could get a picture. I hopped out and snapped it. I was about 10 feet up from the moose. When the picture was developed It looked like I was 40 feet from it.

Same thing happened at Northwest Trek. I was in a shuttle and this bull Bison was along side. I snapped the picture and when it was developed It looked like I was a long way from that animal. So much for picture quality on a throw away camera.

Big Rob

We spotted a bull moose at Chopaka last week, climbing the hill by the DNR campsite. A first for me.
We were there June 24-27. In chatting with others there, two were spotted just days before. One was watering by the fence line on the east side, and another swimming across the south end.

jamma

For some reason I am a Moose magnet. My first time in Montana, pulled in at dark at RC, slept in the car and awoke to a cold freeze in April. Got out the car and saw something odd in the empty campground. Thought it was a big animal about 100 yards away. By the time I rubbed my eyes a Moose strode off and crossed the river. First lower 48 Moose, and a right nice introduction to Montana!

First Moose ever was in Alaska and even faster. First time flying in, dropping into Anchorage through the fog, we broke out low over the gray spooky saltwater froth. In under a minute we were approaching with wheels down and ready to land. Looked down and saw a GIANT Bull Moose sleeping on the end of the big runway !

Saw a Moose at the state line in my first moments in Maine. I kid you not. Glad my Mother was with me and she saw her one and only Moose in her lifetime.

My spookiest Moose encounter was not of the norm. Back in Montana again, pal and I hiked quite a bit to a secluded spot and came across a small side pond that had some rising Brown Trout. I walked around the perimeter to find some casting space where I walked up to a Moose leg naughed off and fresh looking. Gulp! Tried to convince myself it was just a Winter killed scavenge that was just thawing out, but quickly hightailed it out of there just the same.

Magnificent creatures, indeed
I must be the the opposite, despite spending a lot of time camping and fishing in the woods I have only seen that one moose, granted they are not prevalent in WA, one bear approximately half a mile away, three rattlesnakes and have never seen a cougar. It does make me wonder how many times I could have been close and not been aware.

triploidjunkie

I must be the the opposite, despite spending a lot of time camping and fishing in the woods I have only seen that one moose, granted they are not prevalent in WA, one bear approximately half a mile away, three rattlesnakes and have never seen a cougar. It does make me wonder how many times I could have been close and not been aware.
Wow. I live in Washington and see moose and bear, and rattlesnakes pretty much weekly, if not more. I've only seen three or four cougars in my life. Oddly, the two animals that are quite common around here I rarely see. Bobcats and badgers. There was a bobcat in our neighbors yard a few days ago, but I was too late to see it.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Well I've seen a few Bears, a Lynx, Mountain Sheep and Mountain Goats, Deer and Elk. No rattlesnakes. and a few ticks. Raccoons are all over the place and came up on a Beaver one time. The Beaver scared the shit out of me. I was climbing over a log jam and we came face to face at the top of the jam. We both went different ways so we both saved face. A Wolf here in Montana and many Coyotes. And maybe a Badger along with some Mink.

And many tweekers and snow flakes in the woods..

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
I live near the coast, base of the Olympics, we have bears anywhere from sea to summit, and quite a few in Olympic Park. Some cross range hikes we will see a dozen of two.

Only one wild cat, a Bobcat. Love to finally see a Cougar. I am always near sightings, a day late, wrong trail. One day!

Lots of time spent in eastern WA has netted quite a few Badger sightings. The scablands hear Cheney where I was mostly had decent sightings. Always a thrill.

Not a Moose for me in this state yet, but when I spent my time on the eastside, they were very uncommon (Spokane/Cheney). Now, they have really migrated in it seems much more.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info