Kayak fishing yes or no? Pedals?

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
Pedal kayaks really shine when you are trying to hold position in wind and/or current while continuing to fish. I've been fishing the Hobie PA 14 and Revolution 16 for 8 years.

Don't overlook iSUPs. Speed of a kayak and portability of a float tube. Clean deck and awesome sight fishing platform. I've spent more hours fishing off mine the last two years than any other type of fishing.
I've been looking at the iSUP, good to know

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I think Buzzy fishes off a sit on top Kayak. At least he talks about it all the time.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
Also Hobies are a shitload of money, new PA 360s are through the roof.

Yeah, for sure. And I wouldn't be in the market for those at this point. If I got a hobie drive kayak, it'd be their low end Mirage Passport or the Pelican version. A prop pedal drive yak would open up more choices in my price range for sure. At the expense of more weed hassle and deeper draft. But like you say, you can always just paddle.

tallguy

I run a Hobie mirage drive setup, fish finder, etc, mostly for jigging up kings in the sound. I strongly recommend pedal drives, never having to put your rod down as you move and position really helps practicality and effectiveness.

Absolutely love getting towed around by a big king too that you hooked up in less than 100' of water. Now that MA 11 is open, I will be out in it later today..

SquatchinSince86

I have really enjoyed my Saturn Kaboat. Put a trolling motor on it and fish all day. Pack it up and I could fit in a closet. Standing and casting is no problem.

kmudgn

Growing up (and I'm old) I never saw a Kayak except in books where the pictures were of Eskimos (yes, I know that is not the right term) fishing for seals/whales. We always used canoes for sport and fishing in VT. About 10-15 years ago Kayaks became all the rage and now I suspect they sell 90% over canoes.

I have a Sportspal 14 ft. canoe. It is light (less than 40 pounds), easy to put on top of my Tacoma, and works great for fly fishing. I did try a Kayak and found that I liked the fact that you sit up higher in the Canoe seat. I bought it used and have an electric trolling motor which I use about 1/2 the time, depending on lake/pond size. I only use it on still or very slow class 1 water, but that is more because I am a wimp as it is really stable and not "tippy".

The other advantage of the Sportspal is that it is cheaper than many Kayaks. So, what's not to like?

NukeLDO

WFF Supporter
I have both a pedal drive kayak and a regular paddle kayak that I fish out of, both made by Native Watercraft. With the pedal drive system removed for transport, I can get the single seat sit-on-top kayak up on the top of the jeep by myself (you wouldn't want to transport with the drive mounted anyway). It's great because you can pedal forwards or backwards without having to switch anything. It allows me to maintain my distance from shore or an object, follow a contour, or remain stationary in the wind or current. It also covers water pretty quickly. The downside is that the propeller system fouls easily and quickly if weeds are near the surface and then has to be pulled up and cleared. Other than that, I love it.
My other is a Native Watercraft 14.5 convertible....really more like a canoe than a kayak. Paddle power, fairly light, and converts from 1 to 2 person use when the wife want to accompany me.
I wouldn't stand up to fish out of either, but haven't found that necessary. And I also find having a kayak cart makes getting to and from the water much easier.

Spelunker

I fished bays and the ocean back east a ton from a paddle kayak. I personally love paddling and not worrying about any kind of mechanical failures, but if fishing is your main priority I would recommend the pedal boat. So much easier to troll, control your drift, maintain position in WIND. I'd also recommend going narrow. I don't believe in "stable" kayaks. They just slow you down and are tougher to right if you flip. Experience will lead to balance. Work on core strength and enjoy the speed of a narrow boat! My choice would be a Hobie Revo.

I'm dying to buy a kayak here! Seems like fishing in this state is best experienced in a kayak. Just havent been able to find a decent place to store a kayak yet. Anyone want to rent me some yard/garage space??

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Think about how much convenience will figure into whether you use it. I fish from my tiny sit inside a lot, but mostly because it's so easy to transport (chuck inside the minivan and go) that it's even easier than wadering up. One that fits in your pickup bed might be similar. If I had to cartop, strap, assemble, etc, I know I wouldn't use it nearly as much. That's just me, though - some folks enjoy the process of prepping & rigging. And I suppose if you're the sort who can singlehandedly cartop a kayak, more power to you!
I love the idea of a pedal kayak, but I've never pulled the trigger because they're so big & heavy I figure I'd have to tow it anyway, so why not just get a boat?
Again, if you're ok with assembly time, the inflatable Mirage would avoid that issue.
Just something to think about.

For my sit inside, I've found the best fish/paddle strategy is to have the paddle tethered to my chest with a magnetic net clip & coil. Drop it across the cockpit to fish, and the tether keeps it in place. Snatch it up to make a quick drift correction or to move. I don't have to worry about losing it overboard or maneuvering it in and out of a side clip and around my fly line.
The only issue I really have with paddling is when I hook a bass big enough to tow the boat, because they'll head for cover and take you with them. Hard to paddle one handed while fighting the fish!
I've accepted this limitation under the heading of "Comedy". :D

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
I fish from my tiny sit inside a lot, but mostly because it's so easy to transport (chuck inside the minivan and go) that it's even easier than wadering up. One that fits in your pickup bed might be similar. If I had to cartop, strap, assemble, etc, I know I wouldn't use it nearly as much.

Yeah, this is a thing for sure. The one I borrowed from my buddy was essentially this exact setup. Tossed it in the back of the minivan. Easy to carry as well, no need for a rolling cart. I've fished with @Brandonweeda who has a similar setup. He was in the water before I could get my pontoon wrangled down the trail.

That said, I think a 10ft would still be easy enough to transport. It could hang out of the back of my truck bed or maybe even fit in the minivan depending on size. You lose the ability to hoist it on your shoulder like the little light ones. But the float tube is for anywhere that you have to walk to access.

The only issue I really have with paddling is when I hook a bass big enough to tow the boat, because they'll head for cover and take you with them. Hard to paddle one handed while fighting the fish!
I've accepted this limitation under the heading of "Comedy".

This, EXACTLY this. I hooked into a really nice bass in my buddy's kayak until I got towed into the lily pads and broke me off. Comedy indeed.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
This, EXACTLY this. I hooked into a really nice bass in my buddy's kayak until I got towed into the lily pads and broke me off. Comedy indeed.
Yep!

fly-by

WFF Supporter
Pedal kayaks really shine when you are trying to hold position in wind and/or current while continuing to fish. I've been fishing the Hobie PA 14 and Revolution 16 for 8 years.

Don't overlook iSUPs. Speed of a kayak and portability of a float tube. Clean deck and awesome sight fishing platform. I've spent more hours fishing off mine the last two years than any other type of fishing.
What iSUp do you have?

John svah

I dont like how with a kayak you are kinda locked in one direction even on a sit on top. I like em for trolling but for casting, esp to risers i like being able to squirm in our canoe. That said if you canoe big water and capsize in a canoe i dont see how it can be righted or how you would bet back in. I had that moment of uh oh way out in the middle of a reservoir when my kid jumed up and leaned over to grab a koke rod that got bit. We didnt dimp it but it got the hamster wheel spinning. Ymmv
For kayaks i like the pedal ones

veilside180sx

Not the lightest boat, but the Seastream Angler 120PD is prob the most cost effective solid pedal yak. Same for the non-pedal version.

I have an old Malibu X-Factor And Jackson Kraken 13.5. Jackson def has better fit and finish. Both are paddle yaks. I really enjoy paddling, but from a strictly fishing perspective a pedal yak is more effective.

Snopro

What iSUp do you have?

With SUPs, "you get what you pay for" really applies. Don't go cheap. The stuff on Ebay or Amazon priced at $399 is a bunch of crap.

Hala makes bomber boards. I have a Hala Fame. Great for fishing and multi day river running.
https://halagear.com/collections/boards/products/hala-fame-inflatable-sup-board
River_Fame_Trio_400x.png

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info