Fiskat Nets: San Juan or Float Tube model?

Zak

WFF Supporter
Cross-posting from @MGTom's thread: I am interested in people's experience with two models of the Fisknat nets: the San Juan carbon fiber and the Float Tube carbon fiber.

www.fisknat.com

SanJuanCF
San Juan Carbon Fiber, light weight carbon fiber, carbon fiber fly fishing landing net, carbon fiber fly fishing, carbon fiber hand net, fly fishing carbon fiber.
www.fisknat.com
www.fisknat.com

Float Tube Carbon Fiber
Float Tube Carbon Fiber landing net, float tube carbon fiber fly fishing landing net, float tube carbon fiber fly fishing, carbon fiber fly fishing landing nets.
www.fisknat.com

I want one net to do it all. My favorite fishing is hiking up small blue lines, which often means pushing through undergrowth. But I just got a float tube, and am planning to take my low-sided dory out on the Sound occasionally.

Bob at Fisknat just told me that both would work (and they both float!). Super nice guy on the phone. By the way, he said that the carbon fiber nets will hold up to salt water better and that he's getting out of the business of making wood nets, so if you love the wood nets, better grab one!

Either net would be larger than the 12" by 8" (plus 6"handle) wooden net I have now. I'd like to get away with the smaller San Juan net. Does anyone have experience using the San Juan net out of a float tube, canoe, or similar small boat?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Zak

still releasing

The San Juan has a very short handle. If you fish a long leader or have short arms it will probably be tough to net from a float tube. I went with the nomad emerger and have been really happy with it. It has a slim profile, so while bushwhacking (limited sample size) I haven't had much issue with snagging.

Reactions: Zak

sroffe

Graphite is cool. Wood is timeless. Aluminum is,...

With that I do own two Fishpond graphite nets. I like them because they're light, float, and well, there is a cool factor there. I like the extra reach of a longer handle, you don't have to struggle as hard getting the fish into the net.

In my opinion though, the important factor for me is the bag. I am really liking the rubber bags to release fish, and keep my hook from snagging the bag.

Jaydub

I have a wood Fisknat Stream model. It is slightly shorter than the San Juan. It works fine in a float tube although a longer handle would be better. I have a Fishpond mid-length net that I use in the pontoon and sometimes in a float tube. I would say it's a bit long in the tube. So I think Fisknat's float tube model would probably be just right in a float tube. The San Juan would likely be better on a stream.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts