Chernobyl Ant floats upside down

MGTom

WFF Supporter
I'm liking fishing indicators. I tied some chernobyl ants to use and they drew attention but I had some problems. My first problem was the fly floated upside down more than 1/2 the time. The other problem was I missed about half the takes and landed only about 1/2 of those. I was using a 7.5' tapered to 2x to size 8 fly, then 3' 3x flouro to my usual tan weighted nymph. I looped the tippet once around the hook shank then cinch knot. Sliding knot below midpoint of bend did help fly float upright some. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
All the material was affixed to the top of the hook per the directions, would putting the tan layer below the hook help? Trimming the foam more? I think some more hopper like colors for next time too.
20200704_153421.jpg
20200705_detail.jpg

Last edited:

Zak

I'm liking fishing indicators. I tied some chernobyl ants to use and they drew attention but I had some problems. My first problem was the fly floated upside down more than 1/2 the time. The other problem was I missed about half the takes and landed only about 1/2 of those. I was using a 7.5' 2x to size 8 fly, then 3' 3x flouro to my usual tan weighted nymph. I looped the tippet once around the hook shank then cinch knot. Sliding knot below midpoint of bend did help fly float upright some. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
All the material was affixed to the top of the hook per the directions, would putting the tan layer below the hook help? Trimming the foam more? I think some more hopper like colors for next time too.
View attachment 246173
View attachment 246174
Did you try doing a quick mend after the dropper has sunk a little bit, to flip the ant right side up? Maybe tying a little tuft of fluff on top of the front orange indicator patch would help?

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Try trimming the rear of the foam layers so that they don't stick out past the bend of the hook.
The directions were so so, and i've seen different cuts in pics, thought that might have something to do with it. Will save much trial time, thanks. Gonna trim the orange down too.

Speyrod GB

I usually just use a single layer of 2 mm foam when I tie my chubby flies. I use widow's web for the wing/indicator. I also use a Gamagatsu B10S hook for them as well I like the wider gap. I have a few tied on some Firehole sticks medium wire hook. They seem to do real well, as far as floating properly. Unfortunately I haven't hooked any fish on them....yet. It is still early in he week.

dfl

Old, awful and ugly.
I'm liking fishing indicators. I tied some chernobyl ants to use and they drew attention but I had some problems. My first problem was the fly floated upside down more than 1/2 the time. The other problem was I missed about half the takes and landed only about 1/2 of those. I was using a 7.5' tapered to 2x to size 8 fly, then 3' 3x flouro to my usual tan weighted nymph. I looped the tippet once around the hook shank then cinch knot. Sliding knot below midpoint of bend did help fly float upright some. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
View attachment 246173
View attachment 246174
Did the fish care if it was upside down?

SinglehandJay

Misanthropist
View attachment 246173
View attachment 246174
Try to either downsize the dressing of your fly because it weighs more than your hook bend down to the point. Or you can use the same size dressing and go up a size on your hook to a size 6 or go with a thicker hook so it will touch down first and keep the dressing topside

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
I sometimes float a fly in the sink after I tie one like that to make sure it floats correctly. That way I can change anything before I tie more. And I usually tie flies in threes only so as not to waste materials, time, etc. on something that doesn't do what I want it to do. When I do find a killer fly, I reproduce it in sets of three at a time to replenish the supply. Your issue may also have to do with the knot you use. A loop knot works well on flies like this.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Thanks for all the help folks. I'm gonna do some trimming and floating in the sink while I continue to get fluids, feeling human again today. I'm getting good at that loop knot so I'll try it too, along with trimming the front back some and tail end clean-up. Removing some orange should help with the top heaviness too. When I relook at the directions I think he covered this better than I realized now that I've had help and have a better idea of what works, I just wasn't aware of importance or paying enough attention at the time I guess.

tkww

The upside down thing is mass vs drag: you have too much mass above the shank, but it's not wind-catching enough to parachute the fly and upright it before hitting the surface. First thing I would do replace the top foam with poly yarn, congo hair, or some other winging material. You could try moving the legs down to being even with the bottom layer. (Wouldn't e a huge change, but every bit is going to help.) Scott's suggestion of a heavier hook would help too.

Bob Newman

A friend of mine ties them with two layers of the same color that way it doesn’t matter which way it lands. Personally I have only tied them for myself with one layer of foam.

Jim Darden

I like tkww's suggestion! I use hair rather than the orange foam because I can see the hair but can't see the foam, try it you'll like it!

kmudgn

I had a similar problem with spun deer hair mouse pattern. No matter how I tied it, it was hook up most of the time. I solved the problem by wrapping a small amount of lead wire at the top of the hook just below the hair. It provides enough counterweight to the buoyancy of the deer hair that the fly will now reliably float hook down.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info