Post spawn carp

Buzzy

Two weeks ago I fished the big pond and found carp still in spawn mode. Wading three quarters of a mile of shoreline I saw one fish that wasn't participating in the orgy and might have been feeding. Of course my cast hit the fish on the head and it spooked. Just seemed really late for such major spawn. What do I know?

Headed back to the big pond this afternoon. No clouds in the sky, slight breeze in Ephrata and about 80 degrees. Perfect! About halfway up Lake Lenore I notice the lake isn't flat. Blue Lake is has a good chop. The big pond, not quite white capping but breezy. It was going to be a challenge casting into the "W".

Strung up my 8 weight and knotted on a size 12 jig (Saber 5220 with a 7/64 tungsten bead). This little jig style bug has become my favorite carp fly:

DSCF0363.JPG
Olive Simiseal in a dubbing loop with red pine squirrel zonker strip for the tail. Bass sometimes pounce on it and trout have been known to grab it. Not sure this would be a grand slam or trifecta but three species on the same fly on the same day? Fun!
1.JPG
I hiked about a half mile to get to a point that provided shelter on the lee side. Carp were not thick in here but they were feeding with a few cousins still orgying in the tules. I spotted one fish with his nose in the mud rooting around and dropped the fly a few feet from him, game on. Superb cast! (no laughing).
2.JPG
The first fish was really fat, maybe he'd found a good bunch of mud bugs to eat? I was working the fish towards the shallows when, for some reason, he beached himself in maybe an inch of water. Thank goodness this wasn't a steelhead or I could be drawn and quartered.
3.JPG
Evidence of where the fish was hooked. I bet he survived.
4.JPG
Within a few minutes, carp-1's cousin ate.
5.JPG
Another cousin
6.JPG
And yet another cousin headed towards me.
7.JPG
Mirror, mirror, whose the biggest golden boner of all? This mirror carp had some spunk and nearly got into backing. Had the drag set pretty tight on the Tibor.

I only fished for a couple hours. Hooked six fish, landed five. One fish hit so fast that I hit too hard back and bent the 60 degree jig hook, came unbuttoned.

Hem

Two weeks ago I fished the big pond and found carp still in spawn mode. Wading three quarters of a mile of shoreline I saw one fish that wasn't participating in the orgy and might have been feeding. Of course my cast hit the fish on the head and it spooked. Just seemed really late for such major spawn. What do I know?

Headed back to the big pond this afternoon. No clouds in the sky, slight breeze in Ephrata and about 80 degrees. Perfect! About halfway up Lake Lenore I notice the lake isn't flat. Blue Lake is has a good chop. The big pond, not quite white capping but breezy. It was going to be a challenge casting into the "W".

Strung up my 8 weight and knotted on a size 12 jig (Saber 5220 with a 7/64 tungsten bead). This little jig style bug has become my favorite carp fly:

View attachment 246209
Olive Simiseal in a dubbing loop with red pine squirrel zonker strip for the tail. Bass sometimes pounce on it and trout have been known to grab it. Not sure this would be a grand slam or trifecta but three species on the same fly on the same day? Fun!
View attachment 246210
I hiked about a half mile to get to a point that provided shelter on the lee side. Carp were not thick in here but they were feeding with a few cousins still orgying in the tules. I spotted one fish with his nose in the mud rooting around and dropped the fly a few feet from him, game on. Superb cast! (no laughing).
View attachment 246211
The first fish was really fat, maybe he'd found a good bunch of mud bugs to eat? I was working the fish towards the shallows when, for some reason, he beached himself in maybe an inch of water. Thank goodness this wasn't a steelhead or I could be drawn and quartered.
View attachment 246212
Evidence of where the fish was hooked. I bet he survived.
View attachment 246213
Within a few minutes, carp-1's cousin ate.
View attachment 246214
Another cousin
View attachment 246215
And yet another cousin headed towards me.
View attachment 246216
Mirror, mirror, whose the biggest golden boner of all? This mirror carp had some spunk and nearly got into backing. Had the drag set pretty tight on the Tibor.

I only fished for a couple hours. Hooked six fish, landed five. One fish hit so fast that I hit too hard back and bent the 60 degree jig hook, came unbuttoned.
Awesome day Buzzy...you brought your A game and the fish obliged. 6 carp on stillwater...spot and stalk...pretty much trump's any other freshwater pursuit in a day.
Except maybe Clark and his muskie fishing.

PezVela

Excellent Buzzy..! I've got a handful of flies tied up, and hitting a lake up the river as soon as the wind dies... maybe early next week.

Buzzy

Superb outing, Pat! Glad your plan came to fruition this time.
Jim - Certainly a better "vibe" than the day before with the highway closed. Not often do I find carp as willing to follow a fly as yesterday - maybe post spawn hunger? Moon phase? Time of day? Luck of the draw?

The last little bay I fished has lots of tules at the dead end. I was targeting one slow cruiser when about two dozen fish simultaneously started slowly swimming towards me - they just materialized. I had no idea there were that many fish still in the weeds. One spooked and that fish spooked all of them. Muddied up the little bay. I understand carp excrete a pheromone when frightened; that particular stretch of water was done....

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts