NFR 2020 College Football

Albula

swollen member
Sark now in charge of getting Bama ready for their next game after Saban reveals his positive Covid test. AD is also positive.

Sportsman

It's a
Sark now in charge of getting Bama ready for their next game after Saban reveals his positive Covid test. AD is also positive.
Wow! Haven't heard that one, but it's all good. Light at the end of the tunnel, unfortunately there's another light coming at you. Great news with yet another C-19 task force, headed by Dr. Ostrich

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
JFC. That is your response to the death of a college kid and two coaches?

Any death is sad. Before we move forward can we agree that we both share empathy?

Cool.

There has been some confusion around the death of the kid Stonefish used as his example. His name is Jamain Stephens for those who want to look him up. I've been following this story. As you can imagine it has garnered some attention.

At first, it was reported as COVID and the media ran wild with it. Then it came out the cause of death was unknown and they had to walk it back (the few that even did.) Didn't matter because the narrative had been set. It then was reported that he died from a blood clot, which could be a side effect but again, it is unknown.

I figured this was who Stonefish was referring to but asked simply to confirm. When he said he died from Rona that was a bit misleading. We do know he was Rona positive. See the difference?

Also, I read the death was reported as a Rona death. Seriously? How do we know this? This is another part of the problem.

How many deaths do your consider acceptable so that you can watch college football?

You do realize everyone participating has a choice in whether they play? UGA's starting quarterback decided to sit this year out. I completely respect his decision. But if they choose to play, I will absolutely watch.

I just read that the survival rate for those under 50 is 99.94%. So you are more likely to die in a car crash on the way to practice than you are from the Rona.

Without looking it up, I'll give you the two high school coaches. Hell, I'll even give you Jamaine just for the sake of discussion. Compare that to the millions of athletes, coaches, parents, fans, spectators, that have been involved in football this year. Out of all of those we have lost two (maybe three) people?

Charles said we aren't doing tracing so we really don't know. I call bullshit. Like several in this thread, the media would love another story claiming football is causing Rona deaths. I use Jamain as the perfect example.

So let me ask you Steve, based on those couple of deaths do you think we should cancel all football? Have you quit watching?

What is wrong with you?

If you want to have a conversation, let's do it. If you want to come at me with contempt , you can kindly go fu....

Actually, no need to go there.

Charles Sullivan

Any death is sad. Before we move forward can we agree that we both share empathy?

Cool.

There has been some confusion around the death of the kid Stonefish used as his example. His name is Jamain Stephens for those who want to look him up. I've been following this story. As you can imagine it has garnered some attention.

At first, it was reported as COVID and the media ran wild with it. Then it came out the cause of death was unknown and they had to walk it back (the few that even did.) Didn't matter because the narrative had been set. It then was reported that he died from a blood clot, which could be a side effect but again, it is unknown.

I figured this was who Stonefish was referring to but asked simply to confirm. When he said he died from Rona that was a bit misleading. We do know he was Rona positive. See the difference?

Also, I read the death was reported as a Rona death. Seriously? How do we know this? This is another part of the problem.

You do realize everyone participating has a choice in whether they play? UGA's starting quarterback decided to sit this year out. I completely respect his decision. But if they choose to play, I will absolutely watch.

I just read that the survival rate for those under 50 is 99.94%. So you are more likely to die in a car crash on the way to practice than you are from the Rona.

Without looking it up, I'll give you the two high school coaches. Hell, I'll even give you Jamaine just for the sake of discussion. Compare that to the millions of athletes, coaches, parents, fans, spectators, that have been involved in football this year. Out of all of those we have lost two (maybe three) people?

Charles said we aren't doing tracing so we really don't know. I call bullshit. Like several in this thread, the media would love another story claiming football is causing Rona deaths. I use Jamain as the perfect example.

So let me ask you Steve, based on those couple of deaths do you think we should cancel all football? Have you quit watching?

If you want to have a conversation, let's do it. If you want to come at me with contempt , you can kindly go fu....

The issue is as with everything else that leads to the virus spreading, the mortalitys and the very sick may not be the players. That is what I was referring to with tracing. If a lineman's uncle dies because he got it from the brother of the lineman who got it from another player is that football related? It's all community based. The problem people have is with stats like you posted about the survivors for those under 50. The stat may be true but it's a shitty stat to justify football. It's not about the individual players. It's a community based risk.

My dad has quite a few people that he contacts in a week in the Raleigh area. They help him do things. Do they have relatives playing football for NC State, Duke, Wake etc.? It's not just the players, it's the risk to the community around the school.

To show how much a football environment is made to spread a virus like this consider that Western Washington University has had 4 kids test positive so far for the whole school. I would say that they have taken measures to put the health of the whole community above their own needs by the policies that they have put in place. I doubt that there is an SEC football team or many other football teams that have not had 4 positive tests. Those players, like WWU students are members of a greater community. Viral spread leads to more spread.

I am constantly amazed at how much people do not understand how to view risk. In this case it is about the communities risk not the individual. Not the individual. Not the individual. Not the individual.

I also think that is why the SE has had a hard time. They just can't understand that it is not about the individual. We are all connected. That does not fit the prevailing world view.

Go Sox,
cds

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Swimmy,
When I originally saw the story regarding the young man that passed away, it was back in September. At that time they noted he had Covid as well some other ailments.
I looked it up again after your post and it does seem there is some doubt regarding the cause of his death, but that he was indeed Covid positive.
Sad to see young people die regardless of the cause.

I hope we can get through this season without anyone dying or suffering long term effects should they contact Covid while playing football.
There have been 29 games cancelled or postponed so far due to Covid.
We’ll have to see how the rest of the season plays out but I personally don’t have high hopes that things will get better versus getting worse.
SF

Albula

swollen member

Cool.

The fact that you repeatedly refer to a deadly virus that has now caused untold sorrow in so many American families by a dismissive nickname speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
WFF Supporter
The issue is as with everything else that leads to the virus spreading, the mortalitys and the very sick may not be the players. That is what I was referring to with tracing. If a lineman's uncle dies because he got it from the brother of the lineman who got it from another player is that football related? It's all community based. The problem people have is with stats like you posted about the survivors for those under 50. The stat may be true but it's a shitty stat to justify football. It's not about the individual players. It's a community based risk.

My dad has quite a few people that he contacts in a week in the Raleigh area. They help him do things. Do they have relatives playing football for NC State, Duke, Wake etc.? It's not just the players, it's the risk to the community around the school.

To show how much a football environment is made to spread a virus like this consider that Western Washington University has had 4 kids test positive so far for the whole school. I would say that they have taken measures to put the health of the whole community above their own needs by the policies that they have put in place. I doubt that there is an SEC football team or many other football teams that have not had 4 positive tests. Those players, like WWU students are members of a greater community. Viral spread leads to more spread.

I am constantly amazed at how much people do not understand how to view risk. In this case it is about the communities risk not the individual. Not the individual. Not the individual. Not the individual.

I also think that is why the SE has had a hard time. They just can't understand that it is not about the individual. We are all connected. That does not fit the prevailing world view.

Go Sox,
cds

So what do you suggest? More lock downs? Can't leave the basement until zero cases?

I get football is non-essential so kind of funny we are having this discussion in the football thread.

Charles Sullivan

So what do you suggest? More lock downs? Can't leave the basement until zero cases?

I get football is non-essential so kind of funny we are having this discussion in the football thread.
I would suggest a call to Angela Merkel. Germany has done remarkably well compared to everyone else. They are experiencing a spike now but she seems to be the leader in how to find a balance. There is a big difference in what German's view as being community minded or patriotic and the American South's view on that though.

The deal is that this is not binary. It's not a total shut down vs. a free for all. So, 1st not a binary choice. Once it's phrased that way the convo gets nowhere. That is a failed framework.

The question is what precautions on be taken to reduce and slow spread. It's a risk reward deal on a community not individual basis.

The 1st thing to do is to eliminate high potential spread situations, indoor crowds, outdoor crowds where people are in stadium seating, so things like concerts, basketball crowds, churches, bars, indoor classes, etc. should be done remotely or differently (drive in concerts?)- basically institutional controls. Can the people of the SEC do that? I don't think they can.

Then there is the mask wearing, testing, tracing etc. - PPE and cleaning- They seem to struggle even with mask wearing from what I've seen last Saturday. Tracing is not being done and test times are still pretty long. I know our local Uni has done pool testing to save money but with the rates they have in the South that could be much harder.

Look man, it sucks for everyone. I think that they possibly could find a way to play. I doubt there is much effort really being put into a compromise in the SEC. They re going to continue to loosen rules and ignore the deaths an illness. The fact that it's ripping through SEC programs tells you that it's likely spreading from them too. They need to find a way to isolate the teams, have meeting differently etc. to slow the spread. They can't bubble like the NBA and NHL did so effectively. There should not be crowds but since we aren't being lead nationally I think that there will be crowds in the Southeast. It's not that I don't think football could be played safely. I don't think SEC football can be played safely. The PAC 12 will likely be safer because they postponed and came up with a rapid testing plan.

I honestly don't think that the people of the Southeast are capable of doing football safely. I don't think that they can wrap their heads around making sacrifices for the betterment of the entire community. They want this over and they are going to try and behave like it is. Now that they have a taste of football on TV, they want to go and tailgate and go to bars etc. It's their culture.

That's why Inslee waited to give outdoor sports the OK till it was too late for football. That's why the rates in WA and CA are so low compared to the SE. Culturally, you can get west coasters to make sacrifices that you can't in the Southeast.

You are going to get SEC football, one way or another. I think that the average Southerner would trade a season of football for the death of a bunch of old people. I don't think they care. That is the choice that is theirs to make. It's appalling to many in the PNW who view our community as more connected and who value things differently. Different cultures.

A vaccine seems to be right around the corner. I'm hopeful for that and damn, I'd love to go to a bar again and watch a football game. I'd love to watch a concert again. I just don't think it's more important than someones life regardless of their age. So I'll be watching from home and such.

I wish things were different but life has good and bad. You can't just ignore the bad.

Go Sox,
cds

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts