NFR 2020 College Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobduck

Whiskey Tastes Best from a TIN CUP
I really like Iowa State’s head coach, Matt Campbell. He’s done a hell of a job there and been successful everywhere he’s coached.
He’ll be in line for a better gig soon.
Supposedly his dream job is Notre Damn.
If that happens, it will be hard to continue rooting for him. :)
I think he’d be a perfect fit for Michigan if Harbaugh leaves in the next few years.
SF
Definitely agree with all of that. Iowa State definitely the better team that day. Their coach has done very well. Ducks are young but will be better next year.

IveofIone

WFF Premium
Another boy leaves to play a man's game. Trevor Lawrence of Clemson announced that he is going into the NFL draft after 3 years. Despite all of the rave pronouncements by sports reporting gas bags he just didn't look that ready for the big leagues to me. He didn't seem that ready for the big games of the past 2 years. He will join others that were about a season away from being ready to carry a team. There was similar hype when Mark Sanchez left SC after just one year as a starter. The highly ballyhooed Sam Darnnold of SC also left early even after a so-so season with a lot of interceptions and bad decisions. Thrust into a difficult situation in New York with too little experience he never even became average. And of course there was Johnny Manziel-Johnny Football-that was purported to be the best ever and was just awful.

Another year of experience and maturity would have made Lawrence a real threat but as it is he will go to an awful team and be expected to carry a load he is not prepared for. I guess the consolation is he will have millions of dollars as a #1 draft pick. That should make a boy playing among men a little easier to endure.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Premium
Another boy leaves to play a man's game. Trevor Lawrence of Clemson announced that he is going into the NFL draft after 3 years. Despite all of the rave pronouncements by sports reporting gas bags he just didn't look that ready for the big leagues to me.
I agree. IIRC that spiel was coming from the gas bags during the 2019 Fiesta Bowl. Too bad.

creekx

Director of Stoke
Get millions of dollars and never need to worry about paying the utility bills and groceries.

Smart kid he is.
Take the money and run.
Exactly. Don't blame Trevor Lawrence, he's making a smart move. Yes, Lawrence is that good and he's ready. He lost two games in three years and people want to judge him on that last loss.

The real problem is the draft is like Groundhog's Day for some of these shitty franchises. Nearly the same teams every year thinking a new top draft pick, often a QB, is going to magically save them. GM's fall in love with the new shiny object. Schneider and Carroll took a different approach. They built the Seahawks roster before drafting their QB. They had a couple of high picks like Earl Thomas, but the roster was mostly built on 3rd round and lower talent.

So the Jags are likely to take Lawrence no. 1 overall, and he's certainly good enough to be the top pick. Maybe it makes sense since they will be starting over with a new GM and coach, but if you watched any Jag games this year you would have seen that they had holes all over their roster. QB wasn't the biggest problem.

IveofIone

WFF Premium
"Smart kid he is"? Maybe. Maybe not. The pundits all thought that Mark Sanchez, Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold were smart too leaving early for a boat load of cash. But none really had the polish and experience to immediately be successful. Lawrence looks like a sure thing but like others that have come out early before him there are no guarantees. Another year of experience against top competition would have honed his skills even further and enhanced his chances of a long career I.E. Manning, Brady, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, etc. Better to make millions for 10 or 12 years than for 4 or 5.

After 40 years in product development it became obvious to me that a product brought to market too soon had a greater chance of failure than one that was carefully engineered and fully developed. Kind of the difference between Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning if you will.

Darnold had some spectacular moments in his junior year but went to the pros lacking the situational awareness that another year of reps would have given him. Combine that with poor coaching and a weak roster and all of the original potential is lost. Now he is kind of in limbo and might be cut. I see a possible backup to an aging Russell Wilson here that might thrive with some decent coaching.

TDB

Flounder Pounder
"Smart kid he is"? Maybe. Maybe not. The pundits all thought that Mark Sanchez, Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold were smart too leaving early for a boat load of cash. But none really had the polish and experience to immediately be successful. Lawrence looks like a sure thing but like others that have come out early before him there are no guarantees. Another year of experience against top competition would have honed his skills even further and enhanced his chances of a long career I.E. Manning, Brady, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, etc. Better to make millions for 10 or 12 years than for 4 or 5.

After 40 years in product development it became obvious to me that a product brought to market too soon had a greater chance of failure than one that was carefully engineered and fully developed. Kind of the difference between Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning if you will.

Darnold had some spectacular moments in his junior year but went to the pros lacking the situational awareness that another year of reps would have given him. Combine that with poor coaching and a weak roster and all of the original potential is lost. Now he is kind of in limbo and might be cut. I see a possible backup to an aging Russell Wilson here that might thrive with some decent coaching.

I think this is more damning evidence of the Jets being a dumpster fire than it is of QB's not being ready. Same with the previous iteration of the Cards.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Premium
Get millions of dollars and never need to worry about paying the utility bills and groceries.

Smart kid he is.
Take the money and run.

I admit, I'm happy that I could retire after working from the age of 15. But I don't have a fraction of the competitive spirit, nor had the will to succeed from the age of 7 to prepare me to play professional sports at that level. But if I had those qualities and had put in the hard work all those years to get to the bigs, then was released after my first contract term because I was a failure, and thought that one more year of college ball might have put me at the level with the HoF Greats, would money truly fill the void?

Thomas Mitchell

corvus ossifragus
WFF Premium

Smart kid he is.
Take the money and run.
Yes, exactly.

The question isn't whether Trevor is ready. He is.

The question is whether the shitty team that drafts the #1 pick will have an offensive line and receivers that give him an opportunity to perform to his potential or whether he will get pummeled into an injury like Joe Burrow.

Sportsman

Questioning his decision to enter the draft early makes no sense. An ACL in his senior season would cost him millions and possibly his entire career. Lucky for him the Jets actually won a couple games! They are a graveyard of careers. I'm reminded of Joe Steele who suffered a career ending injury his senior season at UW. No arthroscopic surgery then. It was so much fun to watch him running the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts