NFR 2020 College Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Get millions of dollars and never need to worry about paying the utility bills and groceries.

Smart kid he is.
Take the money and run.

I agree.
His first contract will set him up for life, whether he is successful or not.
For stars, regardless of where you were drafted it is the second contract now that pays the huge dollars.
If you are lucky and can stay healthy, getting contracts beyond your second can really put a player up there when it comes to career earnings.
SF

Thomas Mitchell

corvus ossifragus
WFF Supporter
"Smart kid he is"? Maybe. Maybe not. The pundits all thought that Mark Sanchez, Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold were smart too leaving early for a boat load of cash. But none really had the polish and experience to immediately be successful. Lawrence looks like a sure thing but like others that have come out early before him there are no guarantees. Another year of experience against top competition would have honed his skills even further and enhanced his chances of a long career I.E. Manning, Brady, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, etc. Better to make millions for 10 or 12 years than for 4 or 5.

After 40 years in product development it became obvious to me that a product brought to market too soon had a greater chance of failure than one that was carefully engineered and fully developed. Kind of the difference between Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning if you will.

Darnold had some spectacular moments in his junior year but went to the pros lacking the situational awareness that another year of reps would have given him. Combine that with poor coaching and a weak roster and all of the original potential is lost. Now he is kind of in limbo and might be cut. I see a possible backup to an aging Russell Wilson here that might thrive with some decent coaching.

Or instead of 'polish' he could have this:

Dr. Magill

That it is. But playing more rounds of golf than innings pitched during the season for 15 years, getting millions and walking away healthy? Good gig for a great athlete...not that many 'great' athletes!
Yes
I’m following
I was thinking you were coming from a different area

Peyton00

A left handed relief pitcher is a top shelf job.
I like the longevity of golf too.....seniors of all shapes and sizes still shooting rounds in the mid 60's.

On a side note.....Al Michaels has a great sports related career.

Sportsman

A left handed relief pitcher is a top shelf job.
I like the longevity of golf too.....seniors of all shapes and sizes still shooting rounds in the mid 60's.

On a side note.....Al Michaels has a great sports related career.
While many great golfers are good athletes, I know many really good golfers that couldn't hit a barn door throwing 50 mph. No correlation between the two. All things being equal, I'd rather be a golfer, mostly because of Ahole coaches in team sports. Got kicked out of HS during a JV game when a punk teacher got in my face for missing a play. Told him to F off, he tried to to take a swing at me, but I clocked him first. He deserved it, but not a smart move at a Catholic HS.

Dr. Magill

While many great golfers are good athletes, I know many really good golfers that couldn't hit a barn door throwing 50 mph. No correlation between the two. All things being equal, I'd rather be a golfer, mostly because of Ahole coaches in team sports. Got kicked out of HS during a JV game when a punk teacher got in my face for missing a play. Told him to F off, he tried to to take a swing at me, but I clocked him first. He deserved it, but not a smart move at a Catholic HS.
Old school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts