Alaska Trip

802flyfish

My wife & I are heading to Alaska between August 26th - Sept 8th. We reserved a Sprinter van for 11 nights so we wouldn't be confined to hotel reservations.
This will be our first time to Alaska so we want to plan accordingly. We are planning on fishing for the majority of the the trip with some sight seeing in addition.
Can anyone recommend sights, rivers, fly shops or spots to fish ?

1594401939407.png

potential places to visit:

Valdez
Homer
Denali
Chugach
Kenai Fjords
Cooper Landing
Mckinley State Park

Thanks!

Last edited:

Whitewater

First: get a copy of " Milepost" used or new, doesn't change much. It's a thick paperback annual travel guide, available on Amazon,

It's the best guide deta, includes detailed maps, phone numbers, address, for every gas station, USFS and private camp ground, roadhouse bars, repair shop, tackle shop, hospital, motel, fishing maps, boat ramps, guide service, boat rental, lodges, police and EMS, and roadside tourist stop. Invaluable and won't break the bank.

Weather- anything can happen that time of year, just like the PNW but a bit colder. Figure on rain, but a sunny fall day in Alaska with the leaves turning is golden.

This is my absolute favorite time to fish AK, big rainbows and Dollies are gorging on sockeye spawn, bugs are fewer, bears "should be " pretty mellow and gorged on salmon. YMMV.

Good tackle shop/guide service in Cooper Landing, they fish a lot of plastic bead eggs. Great time to fish the Kenai and worth hiring a guide for the no motor stretch.

Take pictures of the shoulder to shoulder bank fishermen at the Russian River ferry. It's probably the most popular spot on the road system to fish. This isn't hot spotting as you'll likely take one look and head downstream. ( See what I just did there?)

But before you do that, cross over the Kenai river, hike up the Russian R. a bit on good trails and see the river turn red with spawner sockeye. Take pictures.

Homer is always a good visit just to sight see or fish along the way ( another big hint.) Not going to hot spot, but Google Earth is your friend. You can camp on the beach for free in Homer, or in a waterfront RV park, or get a motel room. A couple good restaurants there. Good halibut port too with many 6 pack charter boats available. Small towns between big cities are like what the lower 48 used to be like 50 years ago.

Stop in Anchorage at Fred Meyer ( there are 3 in town and a couple elsewhere) to get yr fishing licenses, bear spray and anything else you forgot. Good place to get groceries, also Costco for groceries , one central , one north going out of town.

Last edited:

Meeshka

If you like halibut Homer is a great place to catch them, and its very picturesque. On the drive from Ancorage to Homer I fished the Russian River early sockeye run. My trip was early July. Although I managed a fish the experience was niot that desirable - combat fishing! I was there at that time so I tried it but too many people in close quarters. Although it was fly only I was basically one of the few with a fly rod. Most people were using spinning rods to cast their flys.

802flyfish

We are doing a guided float trip on the Kenai. We plan on doing a chartered fishing trip out of Seward or Homer. I bought a copy of the Mile Post off Amazon the other day. Any particular flies I should be tying up for Silvers?

Poff

WFF Supporter
My wife & I are heading to Alaska between August 26th - Sept 8th. We reserved a Sprinter van for 11 nights so we wouldn't be confined to hotel reservations.
This will be our first time to Alaska so we want to plan accordingly. We are planning on fishing for the majority of the the trip with some sight seeing in addition.
Can anyone recommend sights, rivers, fly shops or spots to fish ?

View attachment 246538

potential places to visit:

Valdez
Homer
Denali
Chugach
Kenai Fjords
Cooper Landing
Mckinley State Park

Thanks!

If you don’t mind sharing, which company did you rent the sprinter through for your trip?

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
We are doing a guided float trip on the Kenai. We plan on doing a chartered fishing trip out of Seward or Homer. I bought a copy of the Mile Post off Amazon the other day. Any particular flies I should be tying up for Silvers?
Google pictures of "flash flies"- silver/red and purple are probably the most popular. These are great to strip off of gravel bars and travel lanes. Also, your favorite "jig" flies- tied on jig hooks or inverted on hooks with downturned eyes. A really simple one is a rabbit strip tail, dubbing body and a big collar of flashabou underneath schlappen... with big lead eyes in the front. Simplicity is your friend with coho flies as you may lose a good amount. You can bring topwater flies too- sliders, gurglers... again, pink is probably the most popular but coho will eat anything.

OPST has a coho video you should check out if you haven't already. Have fun!

WAS

My wife and I took this route several years ago. If we had more time we would have gone up through Fairbanks and as far as Circle, then down through Delta Jct. and on to Valdez. If you can swing it, do Valdez and take the ferry across Prince William Sound, then down to Seward to Resurrection Bay. Spectacular stuff, all of it! Oh yeah, the sockeye and halibut fishing was great in late June/early July.

fullsizeoutput_26f8.jpeg

Speyrod GB

I found bunny buggers and closers to be effective with silvers. I also used popsicles and Alaskabous that had beads on them. I also found some rivers are color sensitive. Cerise and chartreuse were the most popular. Pink wogs also worked well. Most of the time I used a dry line, fluorocarbon furled leader and Maxima 10 lb tippet. Once I started catching silver on top, the others just stayed in the box. I was fishing out of Yakutat. Egg sucking leeches should also be on your fly list. Do not over think it.

Scott Haugen wrote a book "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" a while back (2014). It covers Alaska pretty well. Amazon has it. I would add a link, but that is beyond my capability. Good luck and enjoy the journey. It's a beautiful place.

Msaville

Tackle Tart
Look up “Mystic Waters Fly Fishing” website. They have great information regarding all aspects of fishing the Kenai River. I lived in the Anchorage area for 33 years and can arrest to their recommendations as being spot on.

Shad

I had the opportunity to fish a Bristol Bay trib last year for silvers. Lots of flies worked (by the end, I was trying to find something I couldn't get one to eat), but the most effective was a size 2 or 4 purple egg-sucking leech with a bubble gum pink head wrapped over lead eyes. For whatever reason, they preferred that color combo to all others. Any color head besides bubble gum pink was far less effective.

In a nutshell, anything that works around here will work at least as well or better in Alaska, because there are so many more fish around. Coho seem to really like a "jigging" action, so tie most of your stuff with lead eyes or a heavy bead/conehead and strip retrieve it. Also try some wogs. You have to find fish in the right place and mood for those to work. I was unsuccessful in my attempts, but I later learned from one of our guides that they like to fish wogs with a wet dropper of some sort. The wog suspends the wet fly and makes it do funny stuff in the water when you "pop" it on your retrieve. The wet fly often gets eaten first, then a second fish gloms on to the wog while it's erratically chasing around the hooked fish. Sounds like some serious mayhem....

Have fun. I hope to go back someday.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
Kenai Fjords are great spend a day before or after here:
on the way this is pretty cool, you’ll see more critters in an hour than in your entire trip:
on the way to Denali stop in Talkeetna, the Talkeetna Roadhouse has fantastic breakfast, lunch, bakery at reasonable prices. Nice hostel across the street if showers desired: Inn of the Seven Trees. Very reasonable rates, paid $70 for a private room for two.
Montana creek just outside of Talkeetna has a park at junction of highway, actually two parks, a state park and private one across the road. Montana Creek can have some excellent rainbow fishing and possibly silvers, depending on timing. Access is a bit limited and if time is short it’s worth hiring a guide to cut the learning curve. This guide is very reasonable and generous with information even if you don’t hire him. Ask about a 1/2 day walk in trip, should be enough to show you where and how. No crowds, unlike the Kenai.
valdez is meh, but ferry to Whittier is very scenic.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts