NFR Greyhound WWII Movie

David Loy

Senior Moment
Foresters Hornblower series is at least the equal of O’Brien, IMHO. Forgot he also wrote the African Queen, going to have to re read that. Got to visit the HMS Victory when in England twenty years ago. The B&B we were staying at had a son who was an officer on the Victory, they still take her out on special occasions.
After The Good Shepherd I started the Hornblower series (chronological to events) and am onto second book, Lieutenant Hornblower. Not sure he’s quite equal to O’Brien, but I’ll continue. That’s a debate that calls for some grog ;-).
I visit the old ships too, so far Balclutha in SF and Constitution in Boston. One day I’ll visit England.

Follow up: Here’s a historic pic of Lake Union before they put the center span in the Aurora Bridge.
1594660068822.png

Last edited:

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
I refuse to pay for another streaming service, although I believe it’s the future. Already have Dish, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
After The Good Shepherd I started the Hornblower series (chronological to events) and am onto second book, Lieutenant Hornblower. Not sure he’s quite equal to O’Brien, but I’ll continue. That’s a debate that calls for some grog ;-).
I visit the old ships too, so far Balclutha in SF and Constitution in Boston. One day I’ll visit England.

Follow up: Here’s a historic pic of Lake Union before they put the center span in the Aurora Bridge.
View attachment 246811

if I can ever get to Boston the USS Constitution will be1st on my list. The entire Hornblower series is on YouTube; pretty well done.

DavidJP

Victory, they still take her out on special occasions
I really doubt its been out for quite a while. Its still manned and an active posting and kept up pretty well but theres no way they'd risk taking it out into the Solent and risk another Mary Rose event. One time the local news did a story on April 1st that it was going to lead an armada of tall ships down the Solent but thats about as close as it got. If it was seaworthy I'm sure they would have moved it during the second world war when the luftwaffe dropped a 500lb bomb on it that did some damage and the dockyards there were regularly targeted.

Its a great place to go around as you know and you get a real good feel for what life with 500 other men would have been like on a ship of that time. The spot where Nelson died is almost a religous shrine at this point. Thats what beating the French does for you. His final words "Thank God I have done my duty" still resonate today.

I suspect your hosts were teasing you a bit

Sagebrush

I did research on my uncle who served on the USS Hobson, and found that among many amazing events the ship took part in, was of it being a part of a sub hunter killer group that brought the U-575 to the surface and was partially credited with sinking it with gunfire. It would have been interesting to have talked with him of his experiences.

NukeLDO

WFF Supporter
As a retired 26 year Navy vet who spent the first 11 years of my career in submarines, I never get tired of the WW2 submarine stories. If you're looking for a good read, and true legends, check out Thunder Below and Clear the Bridge.

Birdbrain

I'd like to see that film.

My friend's father served in the Canadian merchant marine convoys on the North Atlantic in WWII. When his ship was torpedoed, his arm got ripped off. He would have bled to death, if not for the quick thinking of a buddy, who grabbed a blowtorch and cauterized the wound.

Another man I knew also served in those convoys. What hurt him the most was that those ships were not allowed to stop to pick up sailors whose ship had been sunk by a U-boat. They had to keep full steam ahead. If they had stopped or turned back, they would be sitting ducks.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
I refuse to pay for another streaming service, although I believe it’s the future. Already have Dish, Netflix and Amazon Prime.
I dropped my satellite service a couple of years ago. The beauty of streaming services is no long term contracts. When Apple TV+ gets enough shows that I want to see I'll sign up for a month, pay the $4.99, watch them and then cancel until they have another batch that I want to see. Cancel culture that I can get behind.

BigBigTrip

WFF Supporter
I watched it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hadn't read The Good Shepard so I picked it up the other day--so far, so good. The movie seemed pretty realistic about WWII tin can life, although there was probably a bit of cinematic license taken. That being said, from my vantage point after having had command of a few Navy ships, it did a good job of capturing the physical and psychological exhaustion that sometimes accompanies command at sea.

Cliff

I've been wanting to see this movie since I heard about it, but I hate having to sign up for Apple TV when I already have Netflix, Prime, Britbox, etc. Maybe I'll do what another poster said and sign up, watch the movie, then quit.

My father served as the U.S. Navy Armed Guard on the Atlantic convoys from 1942 to wars end, as a signalman & gunnery mate. He was all over the map and participated in the North Africa, Sicily/Italy campaigns, as well in support of D-day. He always bemoaned the fact that he was never on a real "Man o'War" but he was in mortal danger the moment his ships left their ports on the east coast until they landed wherever the destination was. And a lot of those guys died. He had some pretty sobering stories to tell.

John svah

My grandfather was the chief forward torpedoman on numerous submarines in the n atlantic. Many years ago when he was in his late 60s we went on the ww2 submarine docked in Baltimore harbor (uss torsk). He told stories including of sleeping on the torpedos because they never had enough beds for the crew. Also, he walked through the submarine by rote while 11 ish year old me hit my head and elbows on everything. I cherish that memory, even as it is coming up towards 40 years ago!

gofish101

Movie did exactly what it was supposed to do, kept me entertained for an hour and a half. I don't really judge a movie by historical accuracy but by entertainment value and I put this one around an 8/10.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I lived in Bremerton in my teens and every Navy Day they let you in Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. You got to go on the ships in port. Plus the Sailors that were in port fixed meals in the Mess. You got beans and cornbread. I made it on the Mo, a few Subs. Boy those were cramped quarters. But you got to enjoy the day.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts